Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised Charges on CC

Options
  • 15-03-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Yesterday morning, I received an email from paypal saying something about a suspicious location and that the account was locked down. When I checked it out, there was over 1000e on 3 purchases which were not mine.
    I filed a claim and got an email back to say that they will look into it.

Also when I went into my credit card account, there is also a 480e western union charge. Rang cc company and they said if the money was picked up, I will have to foot the charge. They wouldn't say the location but the paypal accounts were foreign. This all happened at 12:30 at night. Silly me thought there was supposed to be safeguards against this stuff on the cc.

Absolutely no idea how they got my details.

Was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That's disgraceful that you will have to eat the charge of the WU payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hang on, you dont. My mum fell for a scam and got done in a similar way. Its an unauthorised transaction. END OF STORY. Ring the bank again, tell them you didnt do it and you want your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved this to banking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hang on, you dont. My mum fell for a scam and got done in a similar way. Its an unauthorised transaction. END OF STORY. Ring the bank again, tell them you didnt do it and you want your money back.

But it's gone through a 3rd party (paypal) who are authorised to charge the account for payments and who could fight and win any charge backs issued. From reading the OP the paypal account was hacked - not the credit card itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

True, it's an unauthorised transaction, you will not have to pay it so don't take any rubbish from them. It should be refunded immediately, my dad was stung for flights and only saw it months after and was refunded.

It's their fault for not picking up on a suspicious transaction, unless of course you're always sending western Union transactions. But still not your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Nanoc wrote: »
    True, it's an unauthorised transaction, you will not have to pay it so don't take any rubbish from them. It should be refunded immediately, my dad was stung for flights and only saw it months after and was refunded.

It's their fault for not picking up on a suspicious transaction, unless of course you're always sending western Union transactions. But still not your fault.

All the bank will have seen is an authorised charge to paypal if it came through paypal in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My mum got caught by the "your pc is running slow," from microsoft. She mentioned it at a family get together and mentioned they charged her 25 euro.

I immediately rang the bank and she had been done by WU - Western Union, for 250 euro. Card cancelled, refund done in about a week.

There may be slight variations on that here, but its still fraud. Dont be afraid to fight your corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Western union use 3d secure and the only way to get that info is by being negligent spam email or phonecall or pop up etc. banks wont cover you for that if they use your exact info but you should ring and get it reported as fraud anyway they may have bypassed 3d somehow. Also I think some banks will let you claim a certain percentage maybe 50 if it was a first time set up. check the t&cs on your card there should be something about it there but I would still ring anyway no harm in reporting it and seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

fyi I dont think any bank will refund you if you give out the card information yourself in scam!

Advertisement