Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with new car

• 15-03-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

bought the cars 5 days ago, 3 days ago when i was driving it through town, it just conked out and was difficult enough to start again and when it got going it was lagging and the turbo wasnt kicking in until way later than usual. now when i start the car, it doesnt even rev to 1000 revs and the car is shaking, sounds like it just cant do it.. it cuts out the odd time when trying to start it now, and brake is flashing on the dash? other things that happened are i had to get coolant for it cause it was asking for it, checked it there this morning and its gone below minimum again and i out in the whole bottle i got for it.. any suggestions? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't drive it or try to start it. Get a mechanic to look at it.
    Sounds like you were "sold a pup"
    Driving it or starting it could make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HannahLim13

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't drive it or try to start it. Get a mechanic to look at it.
    Sounds like you were "sold a pup"
    Driving it or starting it could make it worse.

ive had a mechanic come look at it, my boyfriends uncle, he said first it was injectors, now he thinks its turbo :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

what car is it?

haha cant believe i forgot to write the car in , its a 2002 audi a4 1.9 tdi. the 101 BHP one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

that probably has been driven to the moon and back, did you not check the car before you bought it.

• Advertisement

first the hard start, it may be a number of things from injectors to the fuel pump and beyond. Easiest way is to have a diagnostic check done as any saved fault codes will be of benifit in diagnosis.
    Loosing coolant can be either a leak or the head might be gone. Do you see any evidence of oil in the coolant resivour?
    Where are you based??

Hachiko wrote:
    that probably has been driven to the moon and back, did you not check the car before you bought it.

how is that post anyway helpful now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

just saying like, its a old diesel with probably 150,000 miles. Chances are that it will not run like it was new and that it will need a few bob put into it. These things should be considered before getting a car, as well as getting it checked in the first place to see its fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Hachiko wrote: »
    just saying like, its a old diesel with probably 150,000 miles. Chances are that it will not run like it was new and that it will need a few bob put into it. These things should be considered before getting a car, as well as getting it checked in the first place to see its fit for purpose.

What is all your speculation based on and how is helpful to the OP unless you have a time machine handy.

OHJbJwu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

In fairness it's a legitimate question in been able to identify the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Was it smoky at all just before this happened?
    If the turbo went it would pump out smoke could do same with injectors..
    You said it ran out of coolant could be serious head trouble giving that symptom

I'm in limerick city.. I obviously had a mechanic come look at the car with me, everything looked good and it drove fine so we bought it! its gone into the garage today, had to be towed.. looking like it could just be alternator!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ourheritage

What's the mileage on the car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

None of your posted symptoms would say alternator to me

Advertisement