Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrosion

• 15-03-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I've noticed some corrosion on my front fork the other day. The fork is made out of carbon. Is this something I should start worrying about?

342024.JPG

342025.JPG
    gwkBFX8

ngY6pOb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

carbon doesn't rust or corrode.And the metal bolt or the bracket aint rusted/corrode either,which leads me to think its the paint lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Should I treat this with sand paper and paint it?

I'm no expert on spraying etc,but personally I'd leave it for now and see how it develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I've seen this happen to aluminium parts on cars but painted carbon.. Only thing that comes to mind is water got in behind the paint and caused the paint to blister and bubble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Is it 100% carbon fork or carbon blades with an alu crown ?

May be corrosion on the alu crown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭531

Alu(minium) doesn't corrode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

531 wrote: »

It most certainly does!

Wrong,if you know anyone in the aircraft game ask them,they'll soon put you straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

It most certainly does!

+1, it does - http://keytometals.com/page.aspxID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=187

It doesn't rust but definitely corrodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭531

I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭theautophile

Very unlikely to be corrosion, this type of thing happens to painted plastic on cars quite frequently, water gets under the top coat and slowly lifts the primer into corrosion like lumps underneath. Chances are, you got a couple of tiny stone chips from crud being thrown up on a wet day and the water has made it's way in over time.

You could happily sand it back and respray the area if it bothers you that much, but I'd just leave it alone till it actually cracks up and becomes a proper eyesore, (which could be a very long time judging by the wing mirror on my car which has exactly the same thing going on for the last 7 years!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I have something similar on a carbon fork where paint is bubbling a bit. I'm leaving it for the moment. I had some paint lift on the frame at the bottom of the headset. That I cleaned off any applied a touch of hammerite - crude but effective so far.

Advertisement