Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mallow to Sandyford in a Leaf?

Options
  • 15-03-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Thinking of buying a leaf as it is perfect for my driving needs and style. However, as part of my job, I need to do one round trip from Mallow to Sandyford once a week. While I take the train/luas most of the time I do need to drive on some occasions. Do people who have driven a leaf think this journey would be possible on two fast charges (e.g. Thurles and Junction 14) at say 90 to 100 mph driving in a style suited to EVs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Could you maybe make 3 quick charges and cut out the uncertainty? Only an extra 20 minutes like.

In winter you could possibly make 110 Kms @100 kph in the MK 1.5 with heat pump and Eco Mode but you'd need to be plugged in at that rate.

I haven't tested it in warmer weather yet but you need to go by the minimum in winter, and that's on a new battery.

Did you mean 90-100 Kph ?

So I go with Soarer says, 3 quick charges, there is a chance you got to wait behind someone or a charger will be down.

This is the downside with the current Gen Electrics/infrastructure, GM will be releasing the Chevy/Opel Bolt in 2016/17 with a lot more range, at least twice that of the current Leaf. If you can hold on until then or if you have access to a loaner ICE for the occasions you need the range. Leaf II will be out by Q4 2017.

We have the diesel for the long runs.

If you only need to do this once in a while it's do-a-ble , if the leaf can do most of your driving , it's a really nice car to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Would be nice to have a fellow Mallow EV driver :)

Have done Mallow to Dublin a few times in my Renault Zoe. 2 stops will get you to Dublin. I use try and use Cashel & Portlaoise but have done Urlingford - J14 on several occasions. You could park at the Red Cow and take the Luas from there so the car is charged when you get back. Then just do the same in reverse. If you don't want to take the Luas just top up in Newlandscross or Naas on the way in or back.

Journey time about 4.5 hours including charging. This is driving at 90 - 100 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barry2012

Thanks All.

I think I'll buy a leaf on PCP now to cover the day to day, take the train to Dublin, and Q1 2018 trade in for the longer range one (we hope) which I'll buy outright and keep for many years.

It's good to know you could make it though in that amount of time if needed.

Dexter, two quick questions re mallow. Do you have to pay for parking if you charge at Tescos or Irish rail. Also, do you think ESB have plans for a fast charger in mallow It would make sense as if you are driving Dublin to Killarney, your last fast charge is Cahir? Also no fast charge between Cork and Kimerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

There are a few charge points at the Luas Park and Ride in Sandyford according to the ecars map. It'd be handier than parking at the Red Cow as (currently) the two Luas lines don't connect and you'll have to walk from Abbey St to Stephen's Green to get the Luas to Sandyford.

Of course, if it was possible to use the train all the time, it would be a lot more simple, and more relaxing as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

barry2012 wrote: »
    Dexter, two quick questions re mallow. Do you have to pay for parking if you charge at Tescos or Irish rail.

Yes you do. Until there is either a national re parking fees each spot will have different rules. I would pay for parking unless it clearly states that it's free while charging. Also, just in case you thought otherwise they are EV CHARGING places, not parking spaces. There are some new EV owners who see them as reserved parking.
    barry2012 wrote: »
    Also, do you think ESB have plans for a fast charger in mallow It would make sense as if you are driving Dublin to Killarney, your last fast charge is Cahir? Also no fast charge between Cork and Kimerick.

ESB are planning a fast charger in Mallow this year. But in my case the 2 SCPs are fast enough for my needs. 80% charge in 1 hour is usually a dog walk :)

Your last fast charger for a Leaf would be Fermoy.

I can meet you at the train station this evening if you want? Will be doing a walk the dog/charge the car. PM me your details and I will send you a text. Should be around 8pm ish :)

Advertisement