Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player/Young Player of the Year

• 15-03-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys I didn't see a thread for this yet so said I'd jump in and get it started for this year.

Mods please delete if a thread already exists.

So for me this year there have been a few stand out players in the PL for 2014/2015 and I believe the winner will come from the following

Player of the Year
    Hazard
    Sanchez
    De Gea

All three have been standout players for their clubs and contributed so much.

Young Player of the Year
    Kane
    Couthino
    Clyne

Though group this year and hard to pick three. There has been a lot of others that deserve a mention, Berahino, Ings, Sterling to name a few.

Somebody mentioned there most disappointing player this year as well so I'll pop that in to.

Dissapointment of the Year
    Di Maria
    Falcao
    Lovern

So post away and lets get a decent thread going.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kane walks young player of the year. No real standout for player of the year so far. All of the outfield candidates have dipped in form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

AdamD wrote: »
    Kane walks young player of the year. No real standout for player of the year so far. All of the outfield candidates have dipped in form

This yeah.

Sanchez perhaps edges it for me so far. Matic a contender for me also but I wouldn't expect him to win. Silva has been great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

De Gea and Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Hazard will probably win the player of year. Don't think there's an outstanding candidate this season to be honest. Chelsea winning the title might sway it his direction. Would probably have said Sanchez before Christmas but he seems to have tailed off a bit recently.

Kane will win the young player I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hazard will probably win player of the year but dont think he deserves it. Would give it to De Gea myself.

kane walks home with the young player though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure on player of the year, there isn't 1 candidate who is clearly better than the rest but for young player of the year it has to be Kane.

Even if you consider young player of the year should be given for the player with better breakthrough year then he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I could see Kane winning both to be honest. (Being the next great hope for English football and all that.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

De Gea my player of the season by a mile. I think Utd would be a few places further down the table if it were not for some of his saves.

Kane young player of the season. Di Maria the biggest disappointment of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Di Maria the biggest disappointment of the season.

He has a bit of competition for this "award" though, from Falcao, Shaw and Herrera.
    Blind and Rojo may also make a late push

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not sure on player of the year, there isn't 1 candidate who is clearly better than the rest but for young player of the year it has to be Kane.

What about giving Kane both???
    I think he does stand out this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Give De Gea all the awards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

With Chelsea set to win the league it has to be Hazard for Player of the Year.

And Kane walks Young Player of the Year both on merit and because he's English.

Would be surprised if it was anything other than the above two, although could a sentimental shout for Terry who's had a good year be an outside bet? We have seem some strange favourable choices going towards British players in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Morzadec wrote: »
    With Chelsea set to win the league it has to be Hazard for Player of the Year.

And Kane walks Young Player of the Year both on merit and because he's English.

Would be surprised if it was anything other than the above two, although could a sentimental shout for Terry who's had a good year be an outside bet? We have seem some strange favourable choices going towards British players in the past
    If Hazard wins POTY and Kane gets YPOTY, then it's a joke - Hazard is eligible for both. Whether he should be or not is another thing, but he is.

If Hazard wins POTY and Kane gets YPOTY, then it's a joke - Hazard is eligible for both. Whether he should be or not is another thing, but he is.
    Just to play the devils advocate, could be the case that those who voted for Sanchez, De Gea etc in the main one, voted for Kane instead of Hazard as their choice for the POTY.

But yeah, I'd say there is a definitely a mindset whereby players vote for this award as a rookie of the year kind of thing rather than a strict matter of who was the best player within that age group. Either way Kane is winning it for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Kane couldn't even get in the spurs team at the start of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Kane couldn't even get in the spurs team at the start of the season

So? His form when he did is unbelivable, only Ronaldo/Messi has more goals than him in 2015. Your point is irrelevant

EDIT: In Fact, that means he's scored more goals than most in less games, furthering the point he should get young player of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Just to play the devils advocate, could be the case that those who voted for Sanchez, De Gea etc in the main one, voted for Kane instead of Hazard as their choice for the POTY.

But yeah, I'd say there is a definitely a mindset whereby players vote for this award as a rookie of the year kind of thing rather than a strict matter of who was the best player within that age group. Either way Kane is winning it for sure.
    Agree, it could just be specific voting patterns that wins him it, but the end result would be a bit silly, the best player in the league isn't the best young player in the league despite being in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah but people are saying certain players shouldn't be counted because there form dipped it's the same thing albeit reversed

Yeah but people are saying certain players shouldn't be counted because there form dipped it's the same thing albeit reversed
    Nobody said that as far as I can see. One person said that they would have went for Sanchez before Christmas but have changed their mind since. That was all.

Advertisement