Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Sony Vaio laptop with 1tn+ space?

Options
  • 15-03-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I've been using a Vaio for years and have been quite happy with it. I need to get a new laptop as I'm running out of hard drive space and I'm discovering that Sony Vaio is no longer manufactured. I was using a Toshiba recently and found it horrid noisy and chunky -everything was "clicky" (for want of a better word). I had Dell years ago and the fan was too noisy.

I need at least 1tn space in the new laptop. Would anybody have recommendations for some Sony Vaio type sleek, quiet, easy-to-use laptop? I think I paid c. €700 for this Vaio (VPCEH) but it only has 500GB space. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I've been using a Vaio for years and have been quite happy with it. I need to get a new laptop as I'm running out of hard drive space and I'm discovering that Sony Vaio is no longer manufactured. I was using a Toshiba recently and found it horrid noisy and chunky -everything was "clicky" (for want of a better word). I had Dell years ago and the fan was too noisy.

I need at least 1tn space in the new laptop. Would anybody have recommendations for some Sony Vaio type sleek, quiet, easy-to-use laptop? I think I paid c. €700 for this Vaio (VPCEH) but it only has 500GB space. Thanks.

You could potentially replace the hard drive depending on the type of laptop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-5400RPM-SATA-Drive/dp/B007NVGWV0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1426450604&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-9-5mm-Internal-Drive-Compatible/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1426450604&sr=1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I got a Lenovo Z50-70 on littlewoods of all places for €750. It has a 1tb hybrid drive 8 gig of ram and an i7 processor. It's super silent fantastic build quality with great battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

As mentioned above,you can replace your existing hard drive or if you don't fancy that and if you're willing to sacrifice your dvd drive,adapters are available online to store an extra hard drive in the dvd drive bay.

As for laptops,I'd recommend something from ASUS,their current laptops are slim and super quiet and can often be found with 1tb hard drives.

Adapter:http://www.amazon.co.uk/adapter-notebook-Pavilion-TravelMate-Satellite/dp/B0088WOALW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426498634&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd+hdd+vaio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

gaiscioch wrote: »

Going on what the guys are saying here if you are happy with your Sony but just running out of space you could do a couple of things to make it run like new for another few years.
    First buy a 1tb hdd you need a 2.5 inch version this would give you plenty of room and also buy an adaptor for your cd drive that you can use this for the 1tb hard drive as mentioned by one of the posters above.
    For your operating system you could invest in a 2.5 inch solid state drive you can get a 250gb one of these and install your operating system on it and it will speed up your laptop unbelievably also you can use it in any new laptop you get later down the line.
    Just an option for you if your happy with your Sony but its just getting full and slow. The above work would take less then 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I put SSDs in two Vaios recently and both had slots for a second HDD. Could be an option just to fit a second driv

• Advertisement
Advertisement