Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

27 inch gaming monitor suggestions?

• 15-03-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

as title.

Looking for a good 27 inc monitor, preferably 500 or less. Or if u have a really good 24 inch suggestion Ill consider that 2.

Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm personally using a BenQ XL2720T - However there is a newer version of it that's apparently better so look into that.

It's a very solidly built 120Hz so it's responsive for gaming. Its colours are quite bad, though. You'll definitely need to do some tweaking with your GPU colour output settings to get it right. The reason I say GPU and not the on-board colour options is because you'd want to be forcing the monitor's 3D capability on via Stobing/LightBoost for maximum responsiveness and wring the most you can out of it being built for gaming with the bonus of that 3D hardware being hackable to some degree.

I really like the build of it, though. The way the screen can be turned all kinds of ways (which you'd need for a TN and its limited viewing angles). I personally used to turn it vertical and read comics with it like that using Mcomix - quite cool.

It has a neat little headphone hook on the back as well as a handle.

The USB uplink is a nice touch, I use that for a lil camera I've hooked in. It has a headphone jack for some reason even though DVI-D carries no audio and that's what you'd need to be using to get the full refresh rate out of the display although I sometimes plug the speakers into the TV when I very rarely boot up the PS3 via HDMI into it.

It's definitely not the best or cheapest monitor out there but at what it does, gaming, it does it pretty damn well. You can still get a 24-27" Korean IPS display @ 1440p OC'able to >60Hz if you wanna go that route, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've got an ASUS VG278HR and quite happy with it. Has an Nvidia 3D Vision 2 emitter built in so no faffing about with seperate emitters if you fancy some 3D film or gaming.

I bought mine when they were fairly new so around the £480 mark, but a cursory search shows them to have dropped a bit since then if you can get them; maybe around the £300/350 mark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im currently using this as my main gaming monitor.
    I also have a catleap 2560x1440 and a dell u24 ips but the LG blows the others away for image quality and colours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got the Acer k272hlbid and it's been great. Nice and clear, and does the job perfectly for games and movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Apologies for the late reply, thanks very much for all your answers. To be honest, if I have to mess with any complex settings at all..then it isnt for me. So far the one Kiith linked seems solid. Great price. Any issues with it making game UIs smaller or anything like that? Any problems with specific games?

• Advertisement

-Vega- wrote: »
    Apologies for the late reply, thanks very much for all your answers. To be honest, if I have to mess with any complex settings at all..then it isnt for me. So far the one Kiith linked seems solid. Great price. Any issues with it making game UIs smaller or anything like that? Any problems with specific games?

Only thing you need to do with the LG is get flawless widescreen, very games not supported once you have that.

any thoughts on this samsung? http://www.pixmania.ie/24-inches-and-above/samsung-s27d390h-27-led-screen-full-hd-black/22118361-a.html Nice price, although the resolution is 1920 1080 as opposed to the Acer you listed.

I actually would prefer the ACER but that website is so annoying. I cant buy with a credit card, they accept paypal or a direct lodgement into their bank. The translation to English from German is full of mistakes..makes me hesitant to deal with them!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

HWVS has been servicing the needs and wallets of Boardsies for years. Bank Transfer is annoying, but considerably less stress since the IBAN thing came in for all banks here. Their after-sales if something's gone tits up isn't great, but the savings are, so them's the risks. I've bought things from them 3 or 4 times at this stage, it's always gone well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hardwareversand are a bit of a pain when ordering from them, but not as bad as they used to be. You can just transfer directly from your bank account if you set them up as a beneficiary. That's how I've done it the last few times, and they are pretty quick usually. Don't worry about the translation...they'll get the important bits right.

As for that monitor, it looks grand, but not having the higher res would be the only drawback (bearing in mind i know very little about monitors)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has anyone had any experience with the QNIX QX2710 which is a high end panel with a cheap case and pcb?

• Advertisement

Quick follow on question. I cant seem to get their number to dial even with the german international code. They haven't replied to my email. Can anyone here just post an active working telephone number for them if possible. Thanks ! The hardwareversand number i mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

With the advent of QHD and UHD becoming more and more affordable (along with G-sync/AMD FreeSync and the new display port standard to add to the mix too). I'd recommend holding off on a monitor purchase for as long as possible, There seems to be a lot of price gouging going on at the moment where none of the players are prepared to sell a particularly competitive/desirable monitor for any less then €500. In the not too distant future I can envision a 4k, 144Hz IPS display with either gsync or freesync being launched by ASUS or ACER (or both) (more then likely coinciding with the launch of the nvidia pascal cards)

If you absolutely need to get a monitor now you can't go to wrong by getting the AMD flavour of the Acer Predator 27" 2560x1440 for about €450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I picked up this one last month for about €350 and its gorgeous. Price has gone back up now but coming from 1080p to 1440p i'm very impressed. It has 4ms response time but i dont play cs so that doesn't bother me.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M913DVG/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

U sold me wetbench. That one looks amazing. Serious upgrade for an extra 100 - 150 euro. It seems amazon with basic shipping is as cheap as I can get it. That conversion rate to Pounds tho..**** me!

You can do better for the same price, that monitor only does up to 75 hz (prob 60 at max resolution) - Depending on the games you play, having a higher hertz monitor might matter, bit of a poor performer for some games (for something now worth €400.00).

Don't underestimate the value of the frame syncing tech either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Only criteria to look out for is LED IPS screen quality, which isn't all that pricey.
    Got a couple of 24" LG Flatron ISP for just over 120 notes each offering total 2160x1980 as vertical twin, beating the capleap for real estate.
    A pair of 24" is also ideal for average sized flightcases.

Ultra wide and 3D are just gimmicks as 4:3 type ratio mimics the (focused) human eyesight visual angle of 155°h x 120°v.
    Some folks prefer 5.3:3 (HD 16:9), it can be fairly subjective all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Ultra wide and 3D are just gimmicks as 4:3 type ratio mimics the (focused) human eyesight visual angle of 155°h x 120°v.
    Some folks prefer 5.3:3 (HD 16:9), it can be fairly subjective all the same...

Why would you say the ultrawide is a gimmick? I have been following this thread as im buying a monitor in the same price range and was thinking i would go with an asus 29" ultrawide not sure now tho :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Well it may suit gaming if ultra wide (beyond natural field of view) is the single primary concern.
    Even in this case, a double or triple setup would fulfill this need at a better price point.
    Practically, single smaller monitors are easier to transport, store or replace.

Manufacturers are keen to push anything that will sell units, 3D is a dead duck, ambient back-lighting isn't too popular, 4k (television) is currently vastly unsupported and likely will be surpassed soon after by 6/8k. Soundbars are overrated (IMO), Curved screens might be of some slight benefit - but at what premium +50% of normal cost?

Ultrawide 21:9 is a gimmick sale at the moment (just like 3D TV was a few years back and curved TVs are now) It's a design that isn't aligned with the natural progression of games (amongst other software) development.

The likelihood is that the future generation of games will be made for QHD and UHD (and upwards) - leaving Ultra-wide 2560x1080 users left with technology which doesn't really match the majority (and will be below the performance of future monitors). That doesn't mean it isn't cool for today, it's certainly novel, and works well in certain genres - it's just you are buying something which will no, may be an afterthought in a few years.

In day-to-day useage, I know someone who took the plunge on one of the first 21:9 LED monitors and spends a lot of time tweaking things to actually fill the screen and in some cases resorted to playing some titles in a 1920x1080 section at the centre of the screen (with large black bars at either side) - for me that would be infuriating.

http://imgur.com/r/pcmasterrace/gtpLTlt

Artistically, most games are designed now with 16:9 in mind. Which at best means "you aren't seeing something in the way that the designer intended you to see" but at worst means "twiddling with FOV settings in a config file or installing a mod to make the game look right.

Ultrawide is far from a gimmick imho, ive done the 3 monitor thing and ultrawide is a better experience in my experience.
    Out of these 3 monitors i have 24" Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200,27"Catleap 2560x1440,,29" LG 29UM65 2560x1080 IPS
    the LG ultrawide is by far the best for gaming, not only for the increased FOV but for contrast,brightness and colours nothing ive seen comes close.
    As for having to tweak to play games?
    Only one game in my collection that being diablo 3 needs a small bit of effort, that effort being a simple download of flawless widescreen app.

• Advertisement

Hercule wrote: »
    You can do better for the same price, that monitor only does up to 75 hz (prob 60 at max resolution) - Depending on the games you play, having a higher hertz monitor might matter, bit of a poor performer for some games (for something now worth €400.00).

Don't underestimate the value of the frame syncing tech either

God damn it..so every time someone suggests a monitor ..someone else bombards it !

Ok for a price of 400 euro.. is it the best 27 inch id get?

There's things you need to consider about your usage of the monitor that should dictate what you get. Having seen the difference g-sync makes, I personally wouldn't consider buying a monitor without the tech - games with lots of constant movement (constantly shifting views) FPS and RTS (which I primarily play)

If I was buying now I would be considering stretching for this:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS
    or perhaps settling for:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-078-AC
    On both counts though, I would feel like I was being gouged a bit on cost as I expect the price on these to drop when the technology becomes more common.

For non free-sync/g-sync I would be going to a 4k monitor with:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-119-IY&groupid=17&catid=1120 is good 4k / 1 ms

I'm aware I'm above your price at the moment, didn't expect such poor prices for the ones above - there are sub €400 sync models available but their max res is 1920x1080

Even though I just dumped on ultra-wide:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-128-LG&groupid=17&catid=948
    £279 is a good price.

That asus ROG is touted by many hardware experts as being the best gaming monitor on the planet.
    If you can afford it and the hardware to do it justice go for it otherwise all monitors mentioned in this thread would be a solid investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dcully wrote: »
    That asus ROG is touted by many hardware experts as being the best gaming monitor on the planet.
    If you can afford it and the hardware to do it justice go for it otherwise all monitors mentioned in this thread would be a solid investment.

Just to follow up on this, I purchased one about a month ago and it is astonishing.

I went from a 24" AOC 1080p monitor and the difference really is noticeable. It costs a bit more, about €600 or so, but looks fantastic on any game I play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Skerries wrote: »
    has anyone had any experience with the QNIX QX2710 which is a high end panel with a cheap case and pcb?

Yeah have one about 20 months now. Matte as well. Have it overclocked to 96Hz,although getting 96fps at 1440p in demanding games can be difficult depending on the PC thats powering it. Your spot on about it being in a cheap case,the stand in particular being terrible.

Mine came with minimal backlight bleed and one dead pixel(the pixels are tiny though so barely noticable)but some of the lads on here have got ones with awful backlight and many dead pixels. Also like me,some people have got good examples. There also have been a few failures,usually the power pcb,if its in warranty they will send you a new pcb to install yourself which is not ideal. Customs will usually get you for import duty as well,expect to pay between €40-70 to the tax man on top of the price of the monitor. Some get through without duty being applied but thats pretty rare.

While im happy with mine,1440p monitors from the big manufacturers are a lot cheaper than when i was buying the Qnix so its not such a bargain now imo.

TL;DR
    Im very happy with mine,these monitors can be a risk though,but if like me you get a good example its a decent monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kiith wrote: »
    I got the Acer k272hlbid and it's been great. Nice and clear, and does the job perfectly for games and movies.

is this the same monitor?

Advertisement