Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building PC from Scratch

Options
  • 15-03-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Ok, so for many years I have contemplated building my own gaming PC from scratch.

I bought an XPS 430 back in 2006 (I wasn't as tech savvy back then) and my graphics card just caved in, between wanting to upgrade to windows 64bit and not having enough room for a graphics card to upgrading my PSU I've decided to start from scratch.

What I've learned so far is building is the easy part, getting the correct parts is the hardest/longest part.

What I've done so far is getting recommended high end builds and then maybe change various parts to suit myself or are just basically cheaper, i.e. changing 16G to 8G memory etc etc.

My question is is sourcing the parts themselves, take note i'll be getting everything from the tower case to the CPU cooler, Daps of course is at my disposal which have everything i need but since I need everything would it not be cheaper just to order the parts where applicable from America and just pay the duty?

Things like the i7 core to the GTX 970 seem to be significantly cheaper. Does the duty/import apply to each part?

Long story short, would it be cheaper to order outside of Ireland considering I need all hardware parts?

It would be interesting to hear what other people would recommend when they were in similar situations.

I mean I could still order all the parts from Dabs and still save a sizable sum compared to buying a custom already built pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Most people here but from www.hardwareversand.de is a German site, much cheaper than dabs for the most part.

There was a guy here last week was importing stuff from Intel, with a employee discount and I'm fairly sure it was working out similar for him, though I'm not totally sure.

You'll have to pay vat on the total order (23% if I'm right) so unless its a lot cheaper it mightn't be worth the hassle

That being said, the Euro has sunk recently, so it may work in your favour

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Please fill out the below so the minions regulars can help you out.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Oh, and even with shipping, you'll have lots of change if you buy from www.hardwareversand.de instead of dabs :P

Advertisement