Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40th Birthday Gaming PC

Options
  • 15-03-2015 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So I'm building my best mate a gaming PC for his birthday (I'm not paying :pac:) and I wondered if you folks might help me out. Components will be bought from hardwareversand(sp?).

The primary use will be gaming 1080p eventually, until then he's using a crappy low res monitor. Budget is €800 max. He won't overclock, I might do a bit of tweaking for him but just using stock cooling.

1. What is your budget? under €800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mostly gaming,

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes HDD and DVDRw

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wifi adapter

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe, very mild though.

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer, paypal or card

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next week.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin

I was thinking something based on a i5-4460, GTX 760 (I'm an AMD fanboi but they run hot, I'm thinking nvidia for ease of use). 8Gb RAM and ideally a 250GB SSD. I budgeted this out on Komplett for €820 in wireless card.

If anyone could refine the build to specific components I would be very much obliged!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They're the specs you'll be recommended here. Use geizhals.de discount site for lower prices.

i5 4460 €175
    GTX 960 €215
    Crucial Sport 8gb ram €60
    Nanoxia DS3 Case €65
    Crucial 250gb SSD €90
    Motherboard €90
    And a BeQuiet PSU, 500W but you mightn't need that much €60

Total is €770 delivered.
    Rough prices but I think they're fairly accurate, don't think you'll be able to fit a 970 into that budget. Weaker PSU and motherboard would allow it if you stretched a little, or drop the SSD and get the 970

*EDIT* Misread the GPU in your post OP. GTX 960 is a better card than the 760 and is cheaper too. It will fit into the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Should have read GTX960 sorry! :)

Many thanks for the build! Any suggestions on card and MB?

ASUS H97 PRO 4 motherboard and the MSI 960

Not much difference between the H97's from good manufacturers when they're the same price

What do you reckon to:

be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 450W - bulk -

And the Samsung 850 EVO. Is there much to choose between the Samsung and the crucial? I really like Samsung SSDs but am I just wasting €20?

Thanks again!

You'd be fine with that PSU.

There's very little difference between SSDs to be honest, they're both good disks. I'd recommend putting the €20 into a better mouse and keyboard or something for him

• Advertisement

Thanks again!

I spec'd a Z97, given he won't overclock is that really required? Anything at the cheaper end he could go for?

The 4460 is a locked processor, he has no choice, so there's no need in a Z97.

I recommended a H97, like this

The 4460 is a locked processor, he has no choice, so there's no need in a Z97.

I recommended a H97, like this

Could we go any lower than that? I see some cheaper B85s I guess they're not idea for gaming? I was maybe thinking of sticking with the z97 (€6 more expensive) for SLI? Not that it would probably be used.

A B85 would be grand if he won't be using SLI. If he wants to add a card he'll need a bigger PSU though. There are cheaper H97s I'm sure, or H87s, that's just one that came to mind

• Advertisement

B boards are for business as I just found out, and even then its the most budgeted option.

A H81 or H87 would be fine, Ill pull up a few

Thats the cheapest compatible board on the site Mark, €20 cheaper than the next one up? That'd ring bells for me

Thats the cheapest compatible board on the site Mark, €20 cheaper than the next one up? That'd ring bells for me

Reviews don't look too bad.

Does this case look like it has any cable routing to you? The cylinder thingies look like they'd run cables.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Midi/168055/BitFenix+Neos+Midi-Tower+-+schwarz+blau%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

Thanks for your help on this I'm very grateful!

EDIT: Trying to squeeze in a BenQ 24" monitor into his budget hence the cutting of corners.

Ah okay yeah. Yeah the board actually has good reviews on Newegg so it's probably fine! Won't be able to make full use of your RAM though, only handles up to 1333mhz.

Cutting corners and gaming PCs never ends well. Well rarely :P

Drop the SSD and you should be able to fit a monitor there no problem. The case looks fine too

Ah okay yeah. Yeah the board actually has good reviews on Newegg so it's probably fine! Won't be able to make full use of your RAM though, only handles up to 1333mhz.

Cutting corners and gaming PCs never ends well.

Drop the SSD and you should be able to fit a monitor there no problem. The case looks fine too

HWVS Lists it as having 1600Mhz support. I'll dig a little deeper.

I agree but this lad it literally a switch it on type. Managed to dissuade him from wasting his money on a prebuilt thankfully!

Thanks again DS! Very much obliged!

Sorry I hope you don't mind me asking you one more!

Would you avoid Palit?

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/2048+MB/211833/Palit+GeForce+GTX+960+OC+2GB+DDR5+mit+GeForce+Experience.article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Article Availebility Price per unit Quantity Price
    Total:
    796,36 €
    Article No. HV20I546DE
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box
    ready for dispatch

179,71 €

179,71 €
    Article No. HV1138MHDE
    MSI H81M-P33, mATX, Sockel 1150
    ready for dispatch

41,41 €

41,41 €
    Article No. HV12CZSLDE
    Crucial SSD 120GB BX100
    Delivery date unknown

62,89 €

62,89 €
    Article No. HV20MI48DE
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    ready for dispatch

58,48 €

58,48 €
    Article No. HV203E41DE
    Antec One, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    available

42,25 €

42,25 €
    Article No. HVR630TCDE
    Thermaltake Berlin 630W
    ready for dispatch

46,77 €

46,77 €
    Article No. HV1040MFDE
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G, 4GB GDDR5
    ready for dispatch

364,85 €

364,85 €
    notice basket

Clear your basket

Factoring amounts at a glance
    amount 796,36 € + Shipping costs + 6,99 € = credit amount 803,35 €

Ask away, I don't offer help if I'm just going to stop giving it. Never heard of them myself, I'll do a bit of digging.

Is this the monitor you were after?

Had to drop to 120 gig ssd but squeezing in an MSI gtx 970 4gb.

Ask away, I don't offer help if I'm just going to stop giving it. Never heard of them myself, I'll do a bit of digging.

Is this the monitor you were after?

Aye thats the one. Again just looking for 'does the job here'.

• Advertisement

Item|Price
    BenQ GL2450|€€ 119
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 179
    MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2G 2GB GDDR5|€€ 214
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 58
    BitFenix ​​Neos Midi-Tower - black / blue, without power supply|€€ 36
    MSI H81-P33 ATX LGA 1150|€€ 43
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 450W 7 - bulk -|€€ 52
    Crucial 256GB SSD MX100 2.5 "(7mm)|€€ 91
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€803

Delivered

*Edit* Sterlings Case and PSU is probably better than the ones I linked so go €815 with them

Had to drop to 120 gig ssd but squeezing in an MSI gtx 970 4gb.

Many thanks - trying to squeeze a monitor in for him. He's got some ****ty 15" Packardbell think he thinks is grand!

970 would be overkill for him TBH.

Might drop to the 120Gb SSD though. He can stick games on a 1TB 7200RPM I have kicking around!

Is that with the discounts? I just need to get him a wireless card in there too.

Thanks again! :)

Yeah it is. Get a usb sure? Only about a tenner

He got a TP link wireless card we just can't get to work properly. It connects to the network okay but takes ages to open a web page. Any ideas?

Also CPU is running at 90C+ on Prime95 - crappy paste? (Intel Stock heatsink, only one little exhaust fan).

Only other issues were - HV didn't swap out the motherboard but were very good on the phone and have issued a refund. H81 was grand as it turned out!

Monitor was a PITA, the thing was secondhand (not noted on site!) and wrecked! Still waiting for that to be resolved.

Last question. To get free Win10 do you need win7 installed? We're using an unactivated 8.1 at the moment as we thought the network card issue was win10. Couldn't install win7 becuase of that stupid 'need a 64 bit driver for the DVD drive issue'

Thanks again all for the help and advice! Pics coming!

344089.jpg

Some criticisms of the parts, just for reference, although I'm very grateful for the recommendations.

The Bitfenix case - VERY impressed with it for less than €30 but:

Front bays are sunk in a bit, doesn't look tip top, should have included a pic really. The motherboard screw holes in the case also stripped out after just screws being put in one time in certain cases, they seem very soft - maybe just use a bigger screw but not ideal. Finally the cable management could have been great apart from the side panel doesn't have enough room to hide them all :(

Intel stock cooler is meh

Motherboard was great value but only two DIMM sockets, apart from that very happy with it.

CPU seems to run hot under load - maybe just crap cooling

GPU is very quiet for a crappy blower design from Palit - good value card IMHO - again maybe a bit warm - hitting 70C in valley.

The rest is just me being a snob - cables not sleeved etc.

The PSU has an odd issue that the 24 pin and the 4 pin power don't have anyway of locking together - bit worried the 4pin is liable to pop out.

All that said: great machine for around €750 with a 24" monitor when ever it arrives!

Try another software to monitor cpu temp. Nvidia system monitor.

Intel stock cooler is meh but 90, not good

Max temp on a 4460 is 105°C. How long does it take to reach 90+ and how hot is it when idle?

Mine idles at about 17°C, and reaches 70 in Prime after about 10 minutes. I like sleep too much ti run it overnight, but I can imagine it hitting 90 inside an hour

• Advertisement

Max temp on a 4460 is 105°C. How long does it take to reach 90+ and how hot is it when idle?

Mine idles at about 17°C, and reaches 70 in Prime after about 10 minutes. I like sleep too much ti run it overnight, but I can imagine it hitting 90 inside an hour

30s when idle - how are you getting below ambient on air?

I have to say the PC is near silent so perhaps the fan isn't spinning fast enough?

Advertisement