Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turf or Astro, pros/cons and pricing please?

• 16-03-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to remove the gravel from my back garden in the coming months and revert to a 'lawn' again.
    The original grass was a soggy mess and with 2 dogs it got destroyed so the decision was made to make it more usable and easier to clean up after them.
    We now have a little boy and the garden is needed again by humans so I want to partition off a part for the dogs to do their thing and the rest for wee man.

So the task is to remove a load of pea gravel & membrane (plus a raised earthen bed, also gravelled) and get some green back.

What is the best(and also most realistic cost effective) way to do this?
    It's not a large area, but funds are tight. Is roll-out turf good? How much is it roughly, per M2 as opposed to astro?

Mowing is not a concern really. I have a push cylinder mower for the little bit of front lawn we have.

How hard is it to lay turf and how long till it's usable for a small kid to play on?

Also, the doggie area will need to be fenced off properly but I want it to have a gate and let the mutts into the grass area at times but mainly they will, when on their own out there, be in the remaining gravelled area.
    I saw plastic covered metal fences surrounding car lots and tennis courts etc like this
    HL02-1(1).gif
    What is that kind of fence called (so I don't look like a complete numpty when trying to explain myself to someone)?

Thanks in advance guys.
    P.

Advertisement