Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP help

• 16-03-2015 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I have an old desktop that happily runs xp but isnt capable of taking an upgrade. Had a problem last 2 days, turned out to be faulty monitor but I only diagnosed that after swapping ram and drives with clumsy fingers.
    Now it wants me to reactivate windows within 3 days.
    Problem. I can't find the instalation cd and product key. Also xp support is gone so how does reactivation service work if I find the disc and key. Any words of wisdom welcome.
    I have other computers running other versions of windows but I'd realy like to keep this computer running if I can, saves me bringing the laptop upstairs and forgetting it in the morning. I'm almost a virgin regarding firefox/linux.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I reinstalled XP from scratch on an old desktop recently. No problems at all with the reactivating.

The copy of Windows that you're running: did you do a reinstall or has it just gone a bit haywire? If you've got the original installation still on there, you should be able to retrieve the serial number by running a program such as Magical Jelly Bean or other programs from this list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Thanks but just solved the problem, never been so grateful for a floppy disk in a long time. Found my product key then clicked the re-activation link but it reactivated automatically without me inputting the product key. I guess they set it to auto reactivate when they removed support for xp.

It's not even that, activation for XP is still running as far as I know. All that happened here is that it detected too many hardware changes and triggered a reactivation. Provided that the key is a retail or COA (OEM) key, it'll activate fine if the key hadn't been previously activated in a different hardware config within the last 120 days. If it's an OEM SLP key then it won't activate online under any circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I had swapped out everything I could think of, and rebooted umteen times before I thought of swapping monitors, the only thing that kept me going was my theory that microsoft had finaly got xp working correctly before withdrawing support. So I suspected a hardware issue.
    But last time I reactivated windows on this computer (a few years ago) I had to manually input the key. This time it did not ask for the key at all. I sweated buckets though looking for it, and not knowing whether the re-activation service was still there or not.
    Anyway problem solved and perhaps this will help somebody else someday.

Advertisement