Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden path with quarry dust

• 16-03-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have photo of a garden path using quarry dust? or know who supplies it? we're in Co.Galway.

I'm looking for material to build a garden path.
    I've been told that quarry dust is what I'm looking for but Ive found it hard to find examples on the web.

I'm looking for a fine gravel, beige in color, which lays semi hard.

We have dogs and small kids, both of which I've told would make a mess of loose gravel.

Maybe quarry dust is the wrong name. I'm not looking for grey gravel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

n1st wrote: »
    Does anyone have photo of a garden path using quarry dust? or know who supplies it? we're in Co.Galway.

I'm looking for material to build a garden path.
    I've been told that quarry dust is what I'm looking for but Ive found it hard to find examples on the web.

I'm looking for a fine gravel, beige in color, which lays semi hard.

We have dogs and small kids, both of which I've told would make a mess of loose gravel.

Maybe quarry dust is the wrong name. I'm not looking for grey gravel.

It's the correct name, it needs to be compacted well. Try roadstone, but their dust Will be grey.if there is a paving centre supplying glenview/ ballylusk type gravel ask if they supply quarrydust in beige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

This uk website describes what I'm talking about "self binding" pavingexpert.com/gravel05.htm

It also mentions something called "Cedec" which I've come across here ced.ltd.uk/footpath-gravels/CEDEC/cedec-gold.htm#6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Start with a layer of a geotextile separation layer then put down a good 4 inches (min) depth of clause 804 aggregate and finish with enough quarry dust to cover any of the larger material in the 804. Google the terms in italics.

Best also to hire a wacker plate to consolidate the layers and the finish.

I used to look after miles of paths made up like this and kept them clean with one of these bulldog rubber rakes and a leaf blower. The reason for using the rubber rake is that it doesn't disturb the surface if used carefully.

The deeper you can dig out the paths and the more 804 the better but you should dig out and remove all the top soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

take a wander round citywest, the paths all there are compacted dust and they look great. its not stuck together th just compacted hard. not sure where you get it in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Agreed, the paths around citywest look great alright.

Mind if I hijack this thread a little?

I have a path with some sort of compacted dust base with pebbles on top, I need to extend the path. Am I right in thinking that I should be using geotextile separation layer & clause 804 aggregate, per my3cents advice above? Any suggestions where I could pick this up in Dublin, I'm near the KCR.

The brick border on the existing path is set in cement. It's held really well so I want to do the same, but I have never worked with cement before. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to do this properly? I'm thinking something like a foundation trench a little deeper than the excavated path depth, or else excavate all to the required depth and then lay the soft core just in from the edge which to leave a trench to pour the concrete into, and set the bricks into.

Anyhow, any suggestions that will help me buy the right stuff and not make a pigs ear of it are very welcome. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just so people know the point of 804, 803 and a good few other quarry products is that they contain large stones (804 28mm, 803 32mm) with enough smaller stones and dust to create a material that can be laid with no voids (air spaces). Once compacted in place they should not compress anymore.

804 is normally only available in bulk at best you might get one tonne bags delivered.

The geotextile base is there to prevent traffic from pushing the quarry material into the "mud" below it also spreads the load of heavy traffic and stops earth worms mixing soil into the material above, all of which increases the life span of the path while reducing the amount of stone needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dust is usually used for applying a blinding surface between the ornamental stone chippings surface and the 804 hardcore sub-base. It's purpose is to minimise or reduce the risk of the sub-base material churning and mixing with the top layer. Using a geotextile is optional however it will not prevent any seeds potentially geminating on the top surface and if the hardcore sub-base is > 200mm deep (is a very effective weedbarrier).

Using dust in pedestrian pathways is also a traditional and economic finish, however it is important that the ground is adequately prepared (excavate to a minimum depth of 150-180mm), fill with compacted 804 and the final 50mm of dust. Dust can be rolled/plate compacted (tip: moisten during compaction to create a stronger bond).

Occasional path maintenance may include rolling/compaction, weed control etc. Any weeds should be carefully removed (or sprayed) so as to avoid disturbing the compacted surface finishes.

Dust is usually available from Stone/Pebble suppliers and in 2 colours (gold and grey). Natural Stone Yard in Ashbourne supplies dust and available in 0.5T and 1.0T bags. A 1.0T bag would cover at least 15sq m to a depth of of 35-50mm.

For larger areas, a bulk load (20 ton is much more economical option.

Personally I would not recommend the use of dust paths in a domestic garden setting, as the dust can adhere to footwear increasing the risk of staining, scratching of carpet/wooden floors etc. Pets can also easily dig through the surface.

An attractive and economical finish, and very popular with traditional expansive gardens (rural/public).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking now that the quarry dust maybe too much for a garden path and coverage.

I'm may look at gravel and flagstones again.

Advertisement