Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Trim

Options
  • 16-03-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi

We just went sale agreed on a house in Trim. We went to many areas in Meath , but fell in love with Trim.

Im from Dublin my OH is from Meath, this will be a total change of pace for us after living in Dublin city centre. Really looking forward to it.

We will be commuting on the bus to Dublin Monday - Friday , how do people find it ? We did a test run on the bus , but as we only did a couple of times, would like to hear how people find it on a daily basis.

Im wondering can anyone give us an recommendations on restaurants / take aways , local amenities. Id love to do some exercise classes - like circuit training or something like that. Would anyone know any classes ?

Is there any meet up groups ? i won't know anyone - so be looking at hopefully in time making a few friends in time. We have no children.

Any other bits like tv, bin collection , water filter companies , would be great so i can look them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MeAuldSegotia

Hey we are in the same boat.
    Planning to move to Trim over the Summer in time for our eldest to start school in Sept.
    I will be commuting to the South Side of Dublin so any info on other people experiences doing the same would be great- what buses, do any go across the city or will I need to get a bus to city centre and change. Would I be better driving to somewhere (Dunshaughlin/Dunboyne???) and getting a bus or train from there or should i just drive full stop?
    Information on amenities would be great as applesock asked- restaurants / take aways, we have kids so facilities for kids also would be helpful.
    We will be renovating an old house so as well as tv, bin collection , water filter companies anyone with any recommendations on companies or builders would be much appreciated.
    We have heard lots of positive things about living in Trim- people seem to really like living there so if you have any feedback that would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I have a shop in Dublin and one of the guys who works for me commutes from Trim the bus service is meant to be very hit and miss as to when it comes and how long it takes and it has been known not to come at all! It also seems incredibly expensive for what is around a one hour journey. I have only been a couple of times but it seems like a really nice Town shame they don't have a train line to the City!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

There have been numerous threads on Trim over years in the Meath section. Try searching!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91467404

I find the 111 bus fairly reliable. I use it most days. Some of the buses are getting old so tend to break down now and again, but not too often. e.g. the 07.15 bus from Trim town will get into O'Connell St. at around 8.30 / 8.45 (earlier during the summer when schools are off).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I used the bus service to get to college in the last few years, I'd get the 07:15 and be in O'Connell street for 08:35 most mornings. Some days though traffic is a disaster and you havent a chance. The bus service home is appalling, if you are getting the 17:00 dont expect it to leave till 17:20 most days. The buses start at Wilton terrace, spend 45+ minutes battling rush hour city centre traffic as well as Luas works, before finally arriving in Bus Áras and picking up the passengers waiting there.

Bad news on the bus front too. It's reasonable at the moment, with most buses being on time give or take 5 minutes. Bus Éireann intend on changing the service so that it is now routed through Dunshaughlin, adding what I can only estimate to be 15+ minutes to the current 80 minute service to O'Connell street. As well as that, on the way home you'll now have all the traffic currently on the 111, with the many many passengers from Dunshaughlin now going on the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Thanks for the replies.

The bus service seems to be hit and miss , i hope it will be ok most days :)

Any one use a water filter company ? The house we are buying are signed up and we are wondering if we should continue paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

We moved to Trim just over 5 years ago from Dublin, it's a great spot with a good community spirit. Nicest spot in Meath (in my biased opinion). :) Lots of clubs and activities to keep you busy. Trim AC would be a good place to start for fitness/training.

TV, internet etc. depends on where you live in town - some estates have UPC, most don't. Most (maybe all) of Trim now has fibre broadband so your internet should be decent, and you can get TV through it now from Eircom. Sky is the other option if you don't have UPC.

Bins - I'm with Mahons, Thorntons are another provider, and I think a company called AES (or something like that). Mahons seem to be a bit all over the place at the moment, half way through March and we STILL don't have a collection calendar for 2015!!

Water softener - I use EWT, they've been ok. Water very hard around here so it was necessary to get a softener.

Can't tell you anything about the bus as I drive.

Search through the Meath forum for plenty more info on Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

PauloMN wrote: »
    Mahons seem to be a bit all over the place at the moment, half way through March and we STILL don't have a collection calendar for 2015!!

I believe Mahons were recently bought by Panda waste

Brilliant thanks il look up that company regarding the water. I love Trim , saw so many houses in different parts of meath fell in love with Trim. Ive been looking up anything i can find regarding the commute, will see how it goes. Id hope to eventually drive , but dont want to reply on it. Great thanks il look up that fitness club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

The water is horrendous in Trim. Not really drinkable at all. The past 2 times that I've had the dog in the in-laws and gave her water, she was sick shortly after. They are the only times that I've given her water in Trim and it is also the only 2 times I have ever seen her get sick so I'm rather confident it's due to the ****ty water. She actually didn't go near the water for hours so she must have been parched when she finally did drink some. As a human, the water tastes disgusting too. No idea how it passes as being safe. Even in tea and coffee, there is a scum on the top, even after the water has been boiled.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

highdef wrote: »
    The water is horrendous in Trim. Not really drinkable at all. The past 2 times that I've had the dog in the in-laws and gave her water, she was sick shortly after. They are the only times that I've given her water in Trim and it is also the only 2 times I have ever seen her get sick so I'm rather confident it's due to the ****ty water. She actually didn't go near the water for hours so she must have been parched when she finally did drink some. As a human, the water tastes disgusting too. No idea how it passes as being safe. Even in tea and coffee, there is a scum on the top, even after the water has been boiled.

Bit over the top. The water is hard, hence the scum on top. Boiling water doesn't remove the hardness, so unless you use a water filter you'll get scum on top of tea/coffee. This is the same in most of Ireland, only the few soft water areas don't have this issue.

Regarding taste, it's no worse than most water, there's a bit of a chlorine taste off it. Again a water filter sorts this out.

• Advertisement

Thanks , i didnt realise that about the water , il have to look into water filter or water filter company.

Advertisement