Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Linx 10 do the job?

• 16-03-2015 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Xiaomi MiPad and it seems to serve it's purpose fine enough for general browsing, streaming video, RDP, SSH etc.

However, I am looking at maybe getting a Linx 10, or a used Surface RT (less likely as it's not fully-fledged Windows). Reason being is that I want something to use for studying during the day at work (breaks, lunch etc). Primarily with Windows-based software. Packet Tracer, GNS3 etc.

I guess I could use my MiPad and a bluetooth KB&M and RDP to home but I think I'd like to keep some stuff local to the tablet, which is where the Linx 10 or similar Windows-based device would come in handy.

We have a brand new baby at home, so studying is going to be tough as I need to help out around the home and spend time with my child. So I figure studying during the day during breaks at work and during a commute, or any other free downtime would be the best bet for the immediate future.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ra0044

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    I currently have a Xiaomi MiPad and it seems to serve it's purpose fine enough for general browsing, streaming video, RDP, SSH etc.

However, I am looking at maybe getting a Linx 10, or a used Surface RT (less likely as it's not fully-fledged Windows). Reason being is that I want something to use for studying during the day at work (breaks, lunch etc). Primarily with Windows-based software. Packet Tracer, GNS3 etc.

I guess I could use my MiPad and a bluetooth KB&M and RDP to home but I think I'd like to keep some stuff local to the tablet, which is where the Linx 10 or similar Windows-based device would come in handy.

We have a brand new baby at home, so studying is going to be tough as I need to help out around the home and spend time with my child. So I figure studying during the day during breaks at work and during a commute, or any other free downtime would be the best bet for the immediate future.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. :)

Hi. I have had my lynx 10 since November and am more than happy with it.

I use mine daily out and about for work instead of carrying my laptop and it really has handled everything thrown at it.

I use I for presentations. General office based work. E.msil. Internet streaming as well as movies etc. On breaks.

For the money you just cant fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Sounds like a winner to me, thanks for the useful info. I've managed to snag one on eBay for a good price bundled with the keyboard (and hopefully a few months left of Office 365). Hopefully it will do the jobs I have planned for it nicely. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Sounds like a winner to me, thanks for the useful info. I've managed to snag one on eBay for a good price bundled with the keyboard (and hopefully a few months left of Office 365). Hopefully it will do the jobs I have planned for it nicely. :)
    If the Office 365 sub is valid, don't forget to claim your free Unlimited Storage on OneDrive (for as long as the Office 365 Sub is current) - discussed on another thread - I'm unfortunately stuck with 10.2 TB of OneDrive Space and not enough to put on it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've had my Linx 10 for a while now and it's a great tablet for the price especially with the keyboard. Very handy having full 8.1 on it, wouldn't go back to an Android based tablet now.

Not sure if this is still available but if it takes your fancy you can convert that Office 365 licence into Office Home for a tenner (the 365 expiry date is used as the Home expiry + you get 1 additional month added), see here. Worked fine for me several weeks ago.

Didn't know you had one mate! Glad to know it does the job well enough. Just waiting on delivery of this one now. Hopefully it has some time left on the 365 sub. No major issue though, I will do the upgrade most likely.

:)

• Advertisement

Received the tablet and official cover/keyboard this morning. The good news is, the subscription for 365 is a full 12 months! :D

First impressions of the tablet are very good. I like the build quality of the tablet especially. The keyboard is a bit hit and miss, but it'll do the job. I'm able to RDP, SSH yadda yadda yadda, just like being at home.

There's a lot to be said for a full-blown Windows tablet that's for sure. Very impressed so far! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Good stuff! Yeah the keyboard works best on a flat hard surface rather than on your lap etc. Still very handy and can't complain when it didn't cost any extra. Full Win 8.1 is great for a tablet, runs very well too I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ra0044

Glad you find it a good tablet. I swapped out the linx keyboard for a belkin one I had with my last disaster of an android tablet and find it works much better.

I really think windows 8 makes so much more sense on a tablet. More intuitive than people think after using a desktop version.

A colleagues laptop went down yesterday before our PowerPoint presentation and I just used my tablet instead infront of a very sceptical colleague that mocked me that it could run PowerPoint . But it stepped up to the plate and did the job no problem connected to the projector. He ordered his own straight after we had finished.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Bought one in Argos this morning. Can't turn it on until I get home to charge it. Looks good. I am thinking of replacing my nexus 9 with this device as I don't use the nexus to its full gaming potential. I want to be able to type of excel documents also when I'm out. Does anyone know if there is a USB charger available for it as I have a 2amp outlet in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I've had my Linx 10 for a while now and it's a great tablet for the price especially with the keyboard. Very handy having full 8.1 on it, wouldn't go back to an Android based tablet now.

Not sure if this is still available but if it takes your fancy you can convert that Office 365 licence into Office Home for a tenner (the 365 expiry date is used as the Home expiry + you get 1 additional month added), see here. Worked fine for me several weeks ago.

Can I ask you a question about the Linx, Want to get one for the Kids, Would "Family Safety" work on it, as it does with "Big Windows".

Do you sign on, and does it support "different users" as "Big Windows" does

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Can I ask you a question about the Linx, Want to get one for the Kids, Would "Family Safety" work on it, as it does with "Big Windows".

Thanks

It behaves just the same as a PC - no difference in the operating system so when you create the new user it will ask you if it's a child's account.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Thanks
    Windows 8 on Tablets is exactly the same as Windows on the desktop - it's the same software, and runs exactly the same 3rd party programs. You can plug a mouse and keyboard into the tablet, and connect it to a monitor (most tablet don't have a video port, but they may support a wireless display). When Windows 8 was first released, Microsoft also released the "Surface RT" which didn't use an Intel compatible processor, and didn't run full-fat windows, but that's long gone, and all Windows tablets now use Intel processors, and run "full-fat" windows.

In the future, smaller Windows tablets (8" or less, I believe) will actually run a version of Windows 10 Mobile, which will also be used on Windows phones, but because the new "Universal Apps" are designed to run on both desktop and Mobile versions of Windows, that's shouldn't be too much of a problem, but those tablets won't have a "desktop" mode for "legacy" applications.

But if you chose to upgrade an existing Win8 tablet, you'll get the full version of Win10, not the Windows Mobile version.

Advertisement