Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toll tag

• 16-03-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭

What are the cheapest toll tags available to buy at the moment? I use the toll maybe 30 times a year, Most companys seem to charge a monthly admin fee. Is there a tag out there that can just buy without the monthly fee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭otterj

That should say toll tag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ParkMagic's pay-as-you-toll product might suit?

https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Which toll(s)? If it's just the M50, register for a video account which will save you 0.50 off each use compared to paying each time you use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I have one OP...the monthly rent is miniscule, something like 50 cents or a euro.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Tag I use is from tolltag.ie, works on all tolls & there's no monthly admin fee but they charge 10% everytime you use it. If the toll is €1 you get charged €1.10 etc so it only works out cheaper if you don't use the tolls much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Tag I use is from tolltag.ie, works on all tolls & there's no monthly admin fee but they charge 10% everytime you use it. If the toll is €1 you get charged €1.10 etc so it only works out cheaper if you don't use the tolls much.

Eh?

I use tolltag.ie and the tolls are cheaper than they would've otherwise been.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Eh?

I use tolltag.ie and the tolls are cheaper than they would've otherwise been.

Yes, they are cheaper than paying by cash or using the pre-paid method. I know that. The difference in price between these tags & the monthly admin fee charged tags is what I'm talking about.

For example (all prices are made up btw)

Toll charge paid by cash - €1.50
    Toll charge paid by "no admin charges" tag - €1.10
    Toll charge paid by normal tag - €1

If you are getting a tag but use the tolls infrequently the 10% tag might work out cheaper than using a normal tag once you add in the monthly charge.

Boy, I've read that three times now and I still have no idea what you're talking about! (The fault doubtlessly lies with me mate :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I use eflow and find them good.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Boy, I've read that three times now and I still have no idea what you're talking about! (The fault doubtlessly lies with me mate :))

Ok, let me try again using M50 tolls as an example.

The M50 toll for an unregistered vehicle will cost a car driver €3.10 per trip
    The M50 toll for someone using a video account will cost €2.60 per trip
    The M50 toll using a tag (like the one you use I'm guessing) €2.10 per trip
    The M50 toll using a tag (like the one I use) €2.31 per trip (normal toll + 10%)

Both tag users (you & me) pay less than an unregistered vehicle or a video account. Your tag costs less than mine per trip but if you include the monthly administration fee on your tag, the tag I use could cost you less per trip if you are using the toll road infrequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Autosport wrote: »
    I use eflow and find them good.

What size are the eflow tags now?

They used to be a real brick of a thing!

edit: checked the website, seems they may have moved to the more modern smaller tag.
    based on illustrations in the below,
    https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/where-in-my-car-do-i-plac/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sidabra24

Yeah, if you look at the installation guides, it shows you the size of it. It is not that big, but could be smaller. It is only a tag, not a computer.
    However, they have only in whiteish greyish colour which "screams" out of the car when you look at it from the outside. Most people probably don't care, but it really annoys me when everything looks nice and dark in my car and then this crappy thing is shining from miles away. So I removed it and sprayed with black bumper paint. Blends in perfectly now :)

I hope you understood TherapyBoy's exlanation of the differences. He's well spot on there. Another thing to mention is your account. If you get a tag, you will need to register and you will acquire an online account. You will have to top it up (couple different methods, not a bother). The catch is, everytime you top up they charge 1 EUR administration fee. So it may not work very well if you keep topping up every few trips.
    So I usually top up by a 100 EUR + 1 EUR administration fee and that keeps me going for 1-1.5 years :D A big bullet to bite at once, but hey, I don't see any better way out.

I see what you're saying now, Boy. Although I've had that Tag for a few years now and I was never aware there was a monthly admin fee.

How much is it and do they just take it out of the credit balance you have that you can check on your mobile?

(EDIT: The poster above has answered it. One Euro per top up apparently. Best top up in large amounts then :))

When I first got a tag years ago (can't remember which company) I was being charged something like €2.50 per month just for an administration fee. I was using only the M50 toll maybe 2/4 times a month if that & often wouldn't use it for months at a time. I still liked having the tag doing all the work but it was stupid paying monthly fees & not using it so that's why I changed to the 10% tag. If I don't use it, it doesn't cost me anything :D

Advertisement