Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Cobain Montage of Heck

• 16-03-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just seen the trailer on youtube. Really looking forward to seeing this! It really is amazing that a man who has been scrutinised and examined so much, before and after his death, managed to have his personal belongings kept in storage for 21 years. Im looking forward to the première but I think Kurt would hate his privacy being invaded. His own personal writings, recordings and videos showcased to the world. Ill still be watching because I am fascinated by Nirvana and Kurt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I'm surprised theres not much chatter on here about this. Amazing documentary. The use of cobain's artwork, journals and tapes really brought the story to life. Loved the animation scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Where did you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I watched this a few nights ago and it has really stayed with me.

I didn't want to watch it as I thought it would be too intrusive but in reality some of the recordings were meant to be listened to by someone at some stage.

The animation really made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Batesy wrote: »
    Where did you see it?

Its in selected cinemas and also HBO GO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Not much about his death in there, not much about his music in there. I get that that is not what it is meant to be about but I didn't find much of interest there.

Some of the early scenes were very good, from his childhood etc. One very good scene early on, referencing a movie he really liked, but on the whole I was expecting a bit more.

I don't feel I could trust what some of the people interviewed were saying, got the feeling they were trying to "frame" events to make themselves look better.

Most Nirvana fans will probably want to see it, but for me it is more for completists than casual fans.

I was surprised it got a 5 star review from the The Irish Times, most places gave it a more lukewarm reception, and I'd broadly agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I watched this as well and just came here to see if I was the only one that was underwhelmed by the whole thing!! (I haven’t read any reviews so I wasn’t sure how it was received…cant understand a 5* rating?)

Like you Adrian I thought the movie started well, and the nice mix of sketching and animation was a neat way of telling the story…..but there isn’t a lot of information here, let alone any new information! It is interesting to see all the footage that they had of him growing up and together with Courtney….but at the same time that felt quote voyeuristic and I really struggled with the last hour of it!

Also I am not a big Dave Grohl fan, but his absence really felt like there was a part of the story not being told, or at least embellished. I guess the movie was about Cobain and not about Nirvana…..perhaps that’s where I was expecting something different. (There was literally no mention of any methods/ developments of sound/ songwriting at all with the exception of one or two animations that to me kinda were more like filler / montage pieces to signify a passing of time. The movie focussed more on them touring and not wanting to really talk in interviews or take on the role of spokesmen for their generation….wtf, like any of their real fans needed or wanted that, it was only the popular media/flavour of the month people……….)

One things for sure drugs are nasty…and botox is probably the only thing that Courtney Love has injected more of into her body than heroine

By the way that movie is called “Over the Edge”…..looks epic! I cannot believe I have never seen it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Wasn't a big fan of it either. The images of him being strung out on drugs with his young kid weren't something I needed to see, a bit disturbing (although Courtney Love was probably more disturbing that Cobain, who seemed to retain some semblance of sweetness).

Also I thought the ending was very pat. They seemed to have pretty definite ideas about why he killed himself, which I'm not sure you can ever know. I'd wondered did Courtney Love have some editorial input (wrt to the ending, and bits like where he asks the crowd to chant 'We love you Courtney').

The music still sounds good, and the first half was interesting, the bits about him growing up, but definitely overrated at 5 stars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, the music still sounds great, there were some songs I hadn't heard i na very long time that were very good to hear again and obviously a lot of work went into creating the documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

gucci wrote: »
    By the way that movie is called “Over the Edge”…..looks epic! I cannot believe I have never seen it!

I saw it a few years ago and it's great. I think it's Matt Dillon's first movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Just watched it, I enjoyed it I have to say.

Didn't need anything more about his death, we already got that in depth in The Last 48 Hours.

The personal stuff, it was almost too much, invasive like. Very interesting though, overall I liked it.

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »

Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it, thought it was a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Da.kid

Buzz Osbourne is discrediting the movie and the stories told in it. I know Kurt looked up to Buzz and he probably knew him well but I always get a sense of bitterness off Buzz with regard to Nirvana. He seems jealous that they are considered flagship band of grunge and the Seattle music scene.

With regards to the film, I enjoyed it. Frances Bean was the only one with any input into the film so Courtney Love was not really involved, only the interview. I love Krist but he seemed so uncomfortable talking about Kurt and you can see that he is really emotionally scarred by his death (understandable). It was heartbreaking to watch the scene of Frances first haircut and the film showed just how disturbed and depressed Kurt was, but overall I thought the film was good. The soundtrack was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I just watched it, very sad really to see how a beautiful young boy became so disturbed. Gonna watch Soaked In Bleach now while Kurts in me head again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean12319

I just watched it, very sad really to see how a beautiful young boy became so disturbed. Gonna watch Soaked In Bleach now while Kurts in me head again !!

Watched soaked in bleach a few weeks ago and up until then I was 99% convinced he committed suicide but after this film I have a lot of questions. Anyway enjoy watching it :)

Dean12319 wrote: »
    Watched soaked in bleach a few weeks ago and up until then I was 99% convinced he committed suicide but after this film I have a lot of questions. Anyway enjoy watching it :)

I recall watching a documentary 5/6 years ago, pretty sure Tom Grant featured in it and like yourself I walked away with doubts about Kurt's "Suicide".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I recall watching a documentary 5/6 years ago, pretty sure Tom Grant featured in it and like yourself I walked away with doubts about Kurt's "Suicide".

Was the documentary Kurt And Courtney?

Suas11 wrote: »

Seen this as well but I don't think Courtney had anything to do it and if she did I don't think I could believe it as I'm a big fan of hers as well.

Suas11 wrote: »

Seen this as well but I don't think Courtney had anything to do it and if she did I don't think I could believe it as I'm a big fan of hers as well.

That's possibly the one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I know this is an old thread but I watched this on Netflix.
    Word of warning don't watch it while eating.
    I am three quarters of the way through and I honestly stopped watching and got bored.
    Cobain does not come across as a very likable person whatsoever just a problem case, who happened to write a few decent tunes.
    Some of the songs I did not really hear before just sound like a Nirvana parody.
    Cobain seemed like a right miserable fu*cker not the type of fella you would want to for a pint with.
    The drawly stoned sleepy voices irritated me after a while.

There was some awful sh*te talk in it: Cobain apparently wouldn't want to lose the pain in his stomach because it might effect his creativity!!?

To me the film smacks of the 'Nirvana estate' trying to eek out more money, nothing more nothing less.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Not sure if a coincidence or not but his belongings are on show in Newbridge currently

Advertisement