Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental, new driver

Options
  • 16-03-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

I know in Europe there's generally a rule that you need to hold a full license for 2 years before you can rent. Cannot find similar information about the US. Doesn't seem to be any restriction. Is this true? I'm in my thirties and have held a license for 1 year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've never heard of such a rule in the USA.

I actually dont think there's a way of telling how long someone has had a license by looking at it, although every one of the fifty states has a different license.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Never heard of such a rule either. Some rental companies won't rent to you unless you are a certain age, but they don't stipulate how many years you must have had a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hertz Ireland says ...

At the time of rental the driver must present a full valid national driver's licence, which has been held for at least 2 years.

I also recall seeing a qualification of five years for 'prestige' models.

For a prospective rental from JFK, this is what they say for Driver's Licence.....

An acceptable, valid driver's license issued from your country of residence must be presented at the time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued from your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will not be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

coylemj wrote: »
    Hertz Ireland says ...
    At the time of rental the driver must present a full valid national driver's licence, which has been held for at least 2 years.
    That's Hertz Ireland though. That is the rule here. There is no such detail on the US site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I have rented cars in the states with a full licence held less than 2 years (18-20 months I think) had no problems. rented big cars too, Mustangs, Jeeps etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm going back 8 year, but I rented in the US and only had my licence a few weeks it wasn't an issue.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Okay great stuff. Big relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It was with Enterprise btw.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Going by what american friends say, 25 is the norm for the required age.

Varik wrote: »
    Going by what american friends say, 25 is the norm for the required age.
    Alright, well I'm a good bit older than that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Many places will rent to under 25s, but at a heftier price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I recall in my J1 days, one of my fellow travelers had just got his provisional.

He received his Georgia license after passing the multiple choice test. Drove 10,000 miles pulling a 40' trailer that Summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Unlike here, it is very common for US teenagers to get their learner permit when they are 15. They drive on that for a year, then they sit their test & get their full license when they are 16. So as most of them have already had had a full license for 2 years, by the time that they get to the age that they can legally hire a car (18) there is not much point in car rental companies bringing in a rule that specifies that very thing. It happens anyway.

Advertisement