Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Help

• 16-03-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi,

Apologies, ive searched through threads but cant see to find the answer.

Looking to get a new bike with the Bike to Work Scheme.

I'll be mainly using it for city commuting, but want to try and complete a Connemara Challenge as well.

Are Cyclocross the most suitable? To be honest i couldn't afford the 1500 that seems to be the norm price. I wouldn't expect to become an elite athlete but a bit of mountain biking/ off road would be fun at the weekend and would be good to have a book which would work with both.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A Cyclocross bike would be grand for the likes of the Connemara Challenge which is light fire roads and forest tracks, it is not suitable for Mountain biking like up at 3 Rock or Ballinasloe or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭rosenallis

Inquitus wrote: »
    A Cyclocross bike would be grand for the likes of the Connemara Challenge which is light fire roads and forest tracks, it is not suitable for Mountain biking like up at 3 Rock or Ballinasloe or wherever.

Thanks. To ask a stupid question, whats a cyclocross good for?

How about hybrids?

rosenallis wrote: »
    Thanks. To ask a stupid question, whats a cyclocross good for?

How about hybrids?

Cyclocross is a type of cycling done off road in the winter, it involves, mud, grass and the like. It would be the quickest bike for the likes of the Connemara Challenge which takes place mainly on this sort of light off road terrain. CX bikes have no suspension and the wheels / tyres are not made to sustain the sort of impact Mountain Biking involves.

CX

kOKSIJDE-620x300.jpg

OK thanks for that.

So in reality, id need two separate bikes if i wanted to do mountain biking and proper commuting

OK thanks for that.

So in reality, id need two separate bikes if i wanted to do mountain biking and proper commuting

You could commute on a mountain bike, it would just be slower than on a road bike or CX bike. On the flipside you couldn't take a road bike or a CX bike mountain biking.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help, How about hybrids?

Thanks for the help, How about hybrids?

A Hybrid with front suspension might be able for some light mountain biking, but again it fits into a light off road / on road category, it's serves a similar purpose to a CX bike in the regard.

A Hybrid with front suspension might be able for some light mountain biking, but again it fits into a light off road / on road category, it's serves a similar purpose to a CX bike in the regard.

Would it be light enough to get semi-decent commuting speed? I wouldn't be too annoyed by an uncomfortable Connemara cycle for an hour or two but would annoy me having a heavy slow bike in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would have thought a CX Team bike would suit your needs best. If there's a Halfords near you have a look at their Boardman CX bike, it's €1079 with Sram Rival and disc brakes. It's a stunning looking bike in polished alloy color.

Would it be light enough to get semi-decent commuting speed? I wouldn't be too annoyed by an uncomfortable Connemara cycle for an hour or two but would annoy me having a heavy slow bike in the city.

A CX bike as stated above seems ideal for your needs, you can swap the CX Tyres for Road tyres depending on use, so you'll be able to commute at road bike speeds plus have the versatility to do adventure race cycling

• Advertisement

I would have thought a CX Team bike would suit your needs best. If there's a Halfords near you have a look at their Boardman CX bike, it's €1079 with Sram Rival and disc brakes. It's a stunning looking bike in polished alloy color.
    A CX bike as stated above seems ideal for your needs, you can swap the CX Tyres for Road tyres depending on use, so you'll be able to commute at road bike speeds plus have the versatility to do adventure race cycling

Thanks for the help. I suppose the next questions centres around getting one more within my budget. Hoping to get a bike, all the bits and pieces and gear for the 1k budget?

Also, would you know what i such be looking for as to not buy a dud?

Advertisement