Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop using my wall for shop sign - income?

Options
  • 16-03-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, on a property I've just bought, a commercial premises is using my part of the wall for their shop sign. As it belongs to me, shouldn't they be renting the space from me? And if so, I wonder what a market rate would be...The previous owners seem to have had no such agreement.
    If I can't receive an income from it, I would rather they took it down as, being a pretty awful design, it actually cheapens the look of the property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

One for the solicitor I'm afraid.

If you didn't deal with this as part of the purchasing process, it could be quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sean8n

Thanks for your feedback Antoin. On what grounds could they possibly legally claim to have the use of part of my property - unless that right itself was stated in the purchase agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

sean8n wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback Antoin. On what grounds could they possibly legally claim to have the use of part of my property - unless that right itself was stated in the purchase agreement.

Squatters rights, pre-exiting arrangement or something of that sort ilk I'd imagine.

That said, it is affixed to part of your property so you probably have grounds to ask for its removal. Unless its a billboard or a lucrative commercial site, I can't see you making much income from it for the hassle it would cost to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sean8n

Agreed, I don't think it would amount to much, but when I come to sell the property it will devalue it, so I do want some compensation or it to go.

Advertisement