Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accents coffee shop

Options
  • 16-03-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Hey I have hard about this place called Accents beside George's street. Is it any good of is there better coffee around that area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Been meaning to go for a while the reviews all bode well seems the only complaints people have are the dodgy wifi and that the plugs are all covered up so you can't charge your phone. Impressive for a tea/coffee shop in Dublin to not have people complaining about the quality so much be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

wouldnt say its has the best coffee in Dublin but its pretty decent and has friendly staff. I like the seating area in the basement, also they open till 11pm which is handy if you want to meet people in a non-pb environment late at night. Last time I was in there a few weeks back they were celebrating their 2nd birthday so lots of free cake was knocking about, which I duly helped them out with=)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    they open till 11pm which is handy if you want to meet people in a non-pb environment late at night.

Their coffee is absolutely fine, no complaints there, but their big strength in my opinion is the above - it's a nice place to meet a friend or two for a chat and a coffee if you're looking for somewhere that isn't a pub. I'd absolutely recommend it as a place to go with a friend or two, but not sure I'd go there solo to read/work etc. unless I had earplugs with me as it has been pretty noisy any time I was there.

mfceiling wrote: »

I think that is stretching what could be considered the Georges Street area just a little! Some nice spots on that list though well worth popping into.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

how many coffee shops are there in dublin out of curiosity.

Roquentin wrote: »

Too many.

Roquentin wrote: »

The number would change weekly if not daily. There is no way anyone could realistically know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I've been twice before and really liked it. The staff are friendly and food and coffee is great. Given the area it can be full of students at times. Great place to kickback and relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Clement and Pekoe around the corner on South William St is nicer but there's a nice atmosphere in Accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The coffee is grand nothing special (I don't think you'd find an aeropress or a chemex there) but as others have said it's great for meeting friends for a chat in the evening...If only it stayed open longer.
    It's also brilliant for dates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Echoing what others would say...

Coffee is perfectly good.

Atmosphere is awesome.

Staff are brilliant.

Only hassle is inability to run laptop/phone off power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Haven't been in a while, but it's a nice place. The coffee is very much average, the piped music is annoying, but the staff, the opening times, and the couches are great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Good spot with the late opening hours. Friendly staff and pretty comfortable. Lack of phone charging often means I go elsewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its a good spot, but they screwed us on booking for a group (demanding minimum spends or per-person deposits) so we took our business elsewhere. We've run the numbers, they'd have made money out of us and didn't need to introduce these things, but they did anyway and wouldn't budge. A pity. I still go there occasionally, but not with the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Very unfriendly staff (manager / owner). Used to be a regular here , twice a week minimum. Very badly stuck for my phone one day which died completely. Had my charger on me and asked owner could I charge it for 5 minutes behind the counter. She flat out refused. So I go to oolong tea shop which is 2 doors up now. Much friendlier staff and same layout with downstairs basement

Very unfriendly staff (manager / owner). Used to be a regular here , twice a week minimum. Very badly stuck for my phone one day which died completely. Had my charger on me and asked owner could I charge it for 5 minutes behind the counter. She flat out refused. So I go to oolong tea shop which is 2 doors up now. Much friendlier staff and same layout with downstairs basement

How bizarre you would have thought in an emergency they would make an exception! I guess they have just decided to stick to that policy no matter what seems silly to me if anything it would increase revenue as the odd time you will get people who will have another cup of tea/coffee waiting for the phone to fully charge. It only costs a couple of cents to charge even the most power hungry phone and not allowing it going to encourage others to do as you do and go elsewhere. Saving 2c at a cost of €2 :confused:

jimmii wrote: »
    How bizarre you would have thought in an emergency they would make an exception! I guess they have just decided to stick to that policy no matter what seems silly to me if anything it would increase revenue as the odd time you will get people who will have another cup of tea/coffee waiting for the phone to fully charge. It only costs a couple of cents to charge even the most power hungry phone and not allowing it going to encourage others to do as you do and go elsewhere. Saving 2c at a cost of €2 :confused:

Exactly , and the owner knew me to speak to. I would have easily spent 15 euro per week there, and occasionally brought friends along. I can't understand the policy myself. It costs less than 3 cent to fully charge a phone overnight.

Exactly , and the owner knew me to speak to. I would have easily spent 15 euro per week there, and occasionally brought friends along. I can't understand the policy myself. It costs less than 3 cent to fully charge a phone overnight.

Well if you are ever stuck for a charge in town let me know you can come and charge in my place any time. I've even printed off google maps for people :eek:!! Imagine the cost of that! A WHOLE sheet of paper AND ink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

A metered charging station (insert coins like a parking meter) seems like a good business opportunity given the story Kaizersoze81 told about not being able to charge your phone for a few minutes. They have stand-up charging stations at airports but they are free. I wonder if cafes and pubs would go for one that earns them a few extra quid.

Anyway, I put Accents on my top 10 coffee shops in Dublin list mostly because they are open late. So few cafes are open past working hours which is a shame if you want something different after work. Yes pubs offer coffee too but it isn't the same atmosphere.

For an excellent alternative just around the corner (though the seating options are not the best for comfort) with delicious pastries, try Sasha House Petite on Drury street. They are open until 7 according to Google Maps. I also recommend Metro Cafe on South William if you want a bite to eat as well.

• Advertisement

ScottSF wrote: »
    A metered charging station (insert coins like a parking meter) seems like a good business opportunity given the story Kaizersoze81 told about not being able to charge your phone for a few minutes. They have stand-up charging stations at airports but they are free. I wonder if cafes and pubs would go for one that earns them a few extra quid.

Anyway, I put Accents on my top 10 coffee shops in Dublin list mostly because they are open late. So few cafes are open past working hours which is a shame if you want something different after work. Yes pubs offer coffee too but it isn't the same atmosphere.

For an excellent alternative just around the corner (though the seating options are not the best for comfort) with delicious pastries, try Sasha House Petite on Drury street. They are open until 7 according to Google Maps. I also recommend Metro Cafe on South William if you want a bite to eat as well.

Happened to read that post not so long ago while looking for somewhere new to try. 3FE that far down was pretty controversial! Brother Hubbard/Sister Sadie definitely need to get promoted onto the full list next time round!

I would love to see those charging stations pop up more places place I would love to see them would be the cinema seems perfect as you are normally there for two hours and your phone will be fully charged from dead by the time you leave. Would people be willing to pay 50c to charge their phone? I'd be more than happy to do that but it still might send people elsewhere.

jimmii wrote: »
    Happened to read that post not so long ago while looking for somewhere new to try. 3FE that far down was pretty controversial! Brother Hubbard/Sister Sadie definitely need to get promoted onto the full list next time round!.

Yes you are absolutely right Brother Hubbard needs to move up to the list. I have to work on an update soon. 3FE is great but for me their cafe lacks a bit of warmth if you know what I mean. Plus I can't stand stools/chairs with no backs as it is painful to sit for too long. I also wish they had more info up on the board to help me choose which roast to order.

The same is true in my opinion for Coffee Angel on Pembroke St in Dublin 2. Wonderful, expert coffee but not as pleasant as sitting in the Fixx (or Accents) for example. We all have our own opinions of course! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

The same thing happened to me when I needed to charge my phone. I had plans to meet a friend there and she didn't know where she was going so was relying on me for directions. My phone ended up dying and I explained to the staff about the situation but they would not let me charge it. Ended up having to leave to find somewhere else to charge it and haven't been back since.

I used to go there with my boyfriend about 3 or 4 times a week when we finished work. Getting at least one coffee each, sometimes more. We did that for about 6 months and they still wouldn't let me charge a phone for 5 minutes. I sent a rotten email to the owner and she told me that they can't charge phones because they need to keep business costs down! They lost out on a good bit of money in the long run.

Not to bring up the controversial water charges, but maybe pubs and restaurants will start charging customers to use the toilet too ;)

As for the mobile charging issue, I recently bought a Portable Charger since my phone was running down some days without much use. They are also called Power Bank Chargers too up on Amazon. A worthwhile investment given our power hungry mobile devices.

Not to bring up the controversial water charges, but maybe pubs and restaurants will start charging customers to use the toilet too ;)

Companies already pay for water so you would hope they wouldn't use it as an excuse to start charging for it!
    As for the mobile charging issue, I recently bought a Portable Charger since my phone was running down some days without much use. They are also called Power Bank Chargers too up on Amazon. A worthwhile investment given our power hungry mobile devices.

I use a power bank too they used to be pretty expensive but now you can pick up a good quality one for <€20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Good spot with the late opening hours. Friendly staff and pretty comfortable. Lack of phone charging often means I go elsewhere though.

How **** is your phone battery exactly, out of curiosity? Don't even the 40 euro ones give you a good 12 hours or so? How long do you plan on planting yourself there? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

strobe wrote: »
    How **** is your phone battery exactly, out of curiosity? Don't even the 40 euro ones give you a good 12 hours or so? How long do you plan on planting yourself there? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Sure the cheaper ones last the longest it's the high end ones that tens not to last that long! Not charging a phone wouldn't be a deal breaker for me amazed how many seem to find it one though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I really like Accents for the couches, late opening hours and the amazing hot chocolate. The coffee's grand too. I've never had a problem with the staff there, they're always really friendly.

For particularly good coffee around there, there's also two Bald Barista cafes on Aungier St, Kaph on Drury St and Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer St. Their seating areas are nowhere near as nice as Accents though!

The same thing happened to me when I needed to charge my phone. I had plans to meet a friend there and she didn't know where she was going so was relying on me for directions. My phone ended up dying and I explained to the staff about the situation but they would not let me charge it. Ended up having to leave to find somewhere else to charge it and haven't been back since.

I used to go there with my boyfriend about 3 or 4 times a week when we finished work. Getting at least one coffee each, sometimes more. We did that for about 6 months and they still wouldn't let me charge a phone for 5 minutes. I sent a rotten email to the owner and she told me that they can't charge phones because they need to keep business costs down! They lost out on a good bit of money in the long run.

Unbelievable. Thats really bad form in fairness. They seem to be willing to lose regular customers. That should help keep their business costs ( and profits) down anyway. The owner was actually very rude about it when I asked (my phone had totally died and I needed it to make a call). She stated 'if I let you do it I have to let everyone do it'. It's bizarre, she seems to have a weird notion of how much it costs to charge a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

strobe wrote: »

Leave for work at 7am, and use it pretty regularly during the day. Wouldn't generally last all the way to 9pm or whatever. Sometimes I charge it in work but other times I just forget.

It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but often it's just easier to go somewhere that you know you'll have charging if you need it.

Advertisement