Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accents coffee shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Coffee there isn't amazing, it's the standard of something you'd get in some of the chain coffee shops like Insomnia or Butler's.

I like going for a pub alternative as people have said and it's one of the only coffee shops that open late! Most coffee shops close around the 5 or 6 mark, which can be annoying at times if you don't wanna sit in a pub.

Sometimes I've been in and downstairs has been full of couples that are all over each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Leave for work at 7am, and use it pretty regularly during the day. Wouldn't generally last all the way to 9pm or whatever. Sometimes I charge it in work but other times I just forget.

It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but often it's just easier to go somewhere that you know you'll have charging if you need it.

Would you object to a surcharge when charging your phone in a coffee shop ?

I ask because generally I see quite a few offices are starting to ban mobile charging as they consume a significant amount of electrical units. Individually, it doesn't amount to much, but coupled with peak unit rates and the accumulation of charging devices over a given billing period and it can result in a significant addition to the energy bill.

IMO, coffee shops are right to restrict free WIFI and phone charging, unless they are recouping it on the cost of coffee and cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I ask because generally I see quite a few offices are starting to ban mobile charging as they consume a significant amount of electrical units. Individually, it doesn't amount to much, but coupled with peak unit rates and the accumulation of charging devices over a given billing period and it can result in a significant addition to the energy bill.

IMO, coffee shops are right to restrict free WIFI and phone charging, unless they are recouping it on the cost of coffee and cake.

In recent months I travelled to Italy (several cities) and Latvia (just Riga), and I think every cafe / pub / restaurant I went to had free WiFi. If they can offer free WiFi, is there any reason cafes here cannot?

In recent months I travelled to Italy (several cities) and Latvia (just Riga), and I think every cafe / pub / restaurant I went to had free WiFi. If they can offer free WiFi, is there any reason cafes here cannot?

In the city center, I would say yes there is a reason - it encourages people to hang around and spend less than those who aren't interested. The solitary customer with a laptop who sits over one or two cups for a few hours is not the ideal customer in a high rent, city center coffee shop. They consume relatively more whilst paying relatively less. So you either discourage this segment or you charge a premium on the product ( which, unfairly, everyone has to pay )

You mention some other cities, I wonder if they have the same high rents as Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

You mention some other cities, I wonder if they have the same high rents as Dublin ?

That's a fair point. Maybe they don't. I'm thinking specifically of Rome, Florence and Bologna in Italy.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point. Maybe they don't. I'm thinking specifically of Rome, Florence and Bologna in Italy.

I don't know what the rental market in those cities is like..but for an independent coffee shop in Dublin, the costs of providing WIFI and device charging are significant.

Costa, Insomnia, Starbucks etc all have leverage to provide them at lower cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I would if it was reasonable. It's not often that I'm stuck for charge, but it situations that I do, I'd happily pay an extra 50 cent/1 euro or whatever.

I do agree with your point about not providing incentives for people to spend hours in a small cafe over a single coffee. Surely some sort of accommodation could be made for people who visit multiple times per week though?

Surely some sort of accommodation could be made for people who visit multiple times per week though?

Sounds like something a loyalty card scheme could cover.

Or, if it were me I'd leave a jar by the counter and ask customers to make a contribution...

Advertisement