Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bafta Game Awards 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I can't believe Destiny won anything at all tbh. I worry for gaming in general when I see results like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Neat little article from digitiser2000 on the subject. May be of interest to some folk looking for a window into the voting process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All these awards are just pick the most popular games of the year, a handful of indie games that everyone and their dog knows about and then have a populist vote on which is the best. It all means nothing at all.

They really need a knowledgable group to shortlist some games and then have a jury decide which is the best out of repectible journalists. That would be in an ideal world but the fact is the time investment is too great for something like in a film festival and the current batch of journalists are no better than the average jock on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All these awards are just pick the most popular games of the year, a handful of indie games that everyone and their dog knows about and then have a populist vote on which is the best. It all means nothing at all.

They really need a knowledgable group to shortlist some games and then have a jury decide which is the best out of repectible journalists. That would be in an ideal world but the fact is the time investment is too great for something like in a film festival and the current batch of journalists are no better than the average jock on the street.
    I can't speak of the shortlists, but the actual voting panels for the BAFTAs aren't exclusively made up of journalists. There were various games designers, writers and authors on some of them.

As for the one who gave Destiny best game though, well that's just bizarre. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As a big Destiny player, I gotta agree, but maybe it's one of those things where it got a load of 2nd and 3rd votes and no-one really thought it would win, then again it's been winning awards hand over fist. Must be cause Journalists only have like 6-8 hours to play a game before they want/need to move on :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    There were various games designers, writers and authors on some of them.

Well they're definitely not people that should be voting unless they are voting in categories within their expertise. Athough videogame 'writers' aren't exactly experts in the writing field :)

I just feel a lot of the people that would be voting in these categories are too young and too immature and very likely to be caught up in hype instead of looking at these things objectively.

Advertisement