Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a reliable, fast SSD?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/201064-which-ssds-are-the-most-reliable-massive-study-sheds-some-light

Might be worth a look.

Basically other than the really dodgy ones like the OCZ ones they're all decent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have an OCZ for over 2 years working fine :) Ive heard so much about dodgy OCZ SSDs but as i say has been perfect for a long time now.
    My main one is Crucial though.

It was their older stuff that was dud. Even Luke of LinusTT mentions it in a recent video. Theyve been taken over now after the whole bankruptcy thing.

There really are very few BAD SSDs, just some slightly better than others. I run a Samsung, Toshiba and Kingston. All perfect. Actually, the server has a Crucial...Yeah a crucial. Also great.

The one big point I'd make, and its a big one, is HDDs tend to groan and die. And you can sometimes get stuff back from a dead one. SSDs can just go "poof" and be dead. No recovery. In fact Intels controller has a failure state where it goes read only and then nukes ITSELF. So always be backed up no matter what the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

From my previous experience

Samsung evo / pro, Crucial MX / BX and the KingFast F9 have served me well. No issues whatsoever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I picked up an SK Hynix a few weeks back and it's been fantastic so far. This is the one thought it was a bit cheaper when I picked it up, so maybe wait for a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

ED E wrote: »
    In fact Intels controller has a failure state where it goes read only and then nukes ITSELF.
    I read about this before. What's the purpose?

Intifada wrote: »
    I read about this before. What's the purpose?

Its an anti user measure, at least according to Linus/Logan. We all know users will ignore system warnings and popups, this forces their hand kind of like Win8 forcing updates after 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Surely a drive on the blink is better than one that doesn't work at all?

How I understand it going read only forces the user to stop working, meaning all they can do is copy off to another drive.
    Our journey to 700TB drove the MWI all the way down to one, which is supposed to put the 335 Series in a read-only, "logical disable" state. The flash is deemed unreliable at this point, and in typically conservative fashion, Intel doesn't want to perform a write that isn't guaranteed. The SMART readout might have truncated a decimal place, though, because we were still able to run our usual performance tests and kick off the next 100TB of writes.

Advertisement