Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gus Poyet Sacked

• 16-03-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

According to The Sun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's gonna be difficult to find someone capable of putting results together in this short a time.

Either things had gotten unsustainable in the dressing room or they've jumped the gun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Is that their 6th manager sacked within 7 years?
    How are they ever meant to stabilise if you keep changing managers on a yearly basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Roy Keane in attendance at the weekend. Let the rumours begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

'Arry to come in and do a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

According to The Sun.

According to the Sun?? He signed a new contract so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

BBC now reporting it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

sure Pulis has basically kept Wes Brom in the league now. throw some money at him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

zola for the sunderland job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    'Arry to come in and do a job?

good shout, he'd hardly go up there though would he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

To be fair, he's been pretty terrible. His motivation skills seem to consist of fist pumping on the sideline.
    There is very little method to their game, he's bought fairly poorly, and they were in free-fall - a change now might be enough to save them.

Zola is free, having been sacked by Cagliari last week. Or Warnock, Redknapp, Lambert?
    I wouldn't give any of them more than a deal until the summer, though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Giggs ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yakult wrote: »
    How are they ever meant to stabilise if you keep changing managers on a yearly basis?

agree, just complete nonsense - lose a couple of games - sack the manager - never look at the players - questions should be asked of the leadership of the senior players - John O'Shea and Wes Brown - they earn eneogh to hold some form of responsibility too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CSF wrote: »
    It's gonna be difficult to find someone capable of putting results together in this short a time.

Either things had gotten unsustainable in the dressing room or they've jumped the gun.

The choice was either keep Poyet and most likely go down or go for someone short term and hope they can get enough of a reaction from the players to stay up. 9 points would probably be enough to keep us up but I don't see how anyone can think Poyet would be able to accumulate that all things considered. I said it when people were saying the same thing when O'Neill was sacked in 2013 - I'd rather take a chance on someone than go down with a whimper. Sure, we may well go down anyway but why not try something else when it's clearly not going to work for the current manager?

What Sunderland failed to do in 2013 was act ruthlessly and get rid of Paolo Di Canio after he had served his purpose and kept us up, but hopefully (presuming Poyet's replacement will be the underwhelming candidate it's likely to be) Ellis Short has learned his lesson on that. I think the best case scenario for Sunderland is that a new manager generates enough of a reaction to keep us up, is told "thanks but no thanks" in the summer and then they get a proper Poyet replacement in. Though I do see Dick Advocaat has been made favourite and the Guardian are reporting contact has been made. I wouldn't be averse to giving a manager like that a large survival bonus and allowing him an opportunity to continue the following season.

The club is an absolute shambles from top to bottom however. Of that there is no question. How we have managed to stay up for 7 seasons in a row is beyond me and if relegation eventually happens this year, the club has only got itself to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Dick Advocaat 5/6 favourite for the job with Paddy Power.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Felix Magath plz

Yakult wrote: »

That figure isn't as mad as it sounds.

Roy Keane - left the club of his own accord

Ricky Sbragia - in all honesty no one could have thought he was anything other than a stop gap until the end of that season. Another who left of his own accord.

Steve Bruce - Bruce did well for Sunderland despite what many Sunderland fans say. However, at the time of his departure he had oversaw numerous double figure winless runs and had lost the crowd. I do accept that he could have been given more time but felt it was the right move to make.

Martin O'Neill - I never wanted him but he had a great start to his reign and won me over for a time. By the end, he was overseeing what was honestly the worst football I have ever seen by any side in my lifetime and there was just no way in hell that we were going to do enough to survive under him. Correct decision to sack him without a shadow of doubt.

Paolo Di Canio - Paolo came in and did what was required to get enough of a reaction to keep us up. He had the players correctly pegged as the arseholes that they are, but unfortunately went about things completely the wrong way and was tactically awful (who could forget his 4-2-4 formation at Crystal Palace with David Vaughan and Seb Larsson the central two). He simply had to go as he was mental and the players wouldn't have played for him any longer.

Gus Poyet - as discussed.

There's stability and there's stupidity. I think a very strong argument can be made that Sunderland were correct to depart with each and every one of those managers when they did. Keeping some of them would have been stupidity, plain and simple IMO. One could argue that the reason Sunderland have have had their longest ever run in the Premier League over the last 7 years is because they have got rid of managers when they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paying the price for not giving Aaron Kernan more game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Big Sam being linked too.

Not a hope!!

John O Shea player manager

Paully D wrote: »
    That figure isn't as mad as it sounds.

Roy Keane - left the club of his own accord

Ricky Sbragia - in all honesty no one could have thought he was anything other than a stop gap until the end of that season. Another who left of his own accord.

Steve Bruce - Bruce did well for Sunderland despite what many Sunderland fans say. However, at the time of his departure he had oversaw numerous double figure winless runs and had lost the crowd. I do accept that he could have been given more time but felt it was the right move to make.

Martin O'Neill - I never wanted him but he had a great start to his reign and won me over for a time. By the end, he was overseeing what was honestly the worst football I have ever seen by any side in my lifetime and there was just no way in hell that we were going to do enough to survive under him. Correct decision to sack him without a shadow of doubt.

Paolo Di Canio - Paolo came in and did what was required to get enough of a reaction to keep us up. He had the players correctly pegged as the arseholes that they are, but unfortunately went about things completely the wrong way and was tactically awful (who could forget his 4-2-4 formation at Crystal Palace with David Vaughan and Seb Larsson the central two). He simply had to go as he was mental and the players wouldn't have played for him any longer.

Gus Poyet - as discussed.

There's stability and there's stupidity. I think a very strong argument can be made that Sunderland were correct to depart with each and every one of those managers when they did. Keeping some of them would have been stupidity, plain and simple IMO. One could argue that the reason Sunderland have have had their longest ever run in the Premier League over the last 7 years is because they have got rid of managers when they have done.

it's important to also say that stability is not stability if the guy you've appointed isn't up to it.

Sunderland's problem is they are genuinely hiring bad managers, and have players that aren't good enough, but many believe their own hype (looking at you Adam Johnson and Conor Wickham).

Sunderland need a Pulis, and badly. someone to take no shíte, get the non-performers out, and get the team organised.

Big Sam being linked too.

Not a hope!!

Allardyce would be an excellent appointment and if we make it to the summer as a Premier League club it may well happen IMO. It's looking increasingly likely that his contract with West Ham won't be extended and it's hard to see him still being there at the beginning of next season (wrongly, IMO). He has a track record of taking clubs who are similar in standing to Sunderland and turning them into solid, mid-table sides at least.

However, Sunderland seem committed to the Director of Football model now and I'm not sure Allardyce would get on board with it. Despite his managerial success he does have a tendency to do deals with the same agents. Though Poyet did get to bring in a few of his own targets too (Buckley and Bridcutt for example) so there may be some leeway there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Trilla wrote: »
    good shout, he'd hardly go up there though would he?

Hard to say, he might be a decent short term solution but would be poison in the long term.Wasnt he meant to get surgery after leaving QPR so he might not be up and about 100% just yet.Sunderland need someone in ASAP though if Poyet is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Allardyce would be an excellent appointment and if we make it to the summer as a Premier League club it may well happen IMO. It's looking increasingly likely that his contract with West Ham won't be extended and it's hard to see him still being there at the beginning of next season (wrongly, IMO). He has a track record of taking clubs who are similar in standing to Sunderland and turning them into solid, mid-table sides at least.

However, Sunderland seem committed to the Director of Football model now and I'm not sure Allardyce would get on board with it. Despite his managerial success he does have a tendency to do deals with the same agents. Though Poyet did get to bring in a few of his own targets too (Buckley and Bridcutt for example) so there may be some leeway there.

West Ham would be insane to not extend Big Sam's contract.

I never got the stick he gets there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's important to also say that stability is not stability if the guy you've appointed isn't up to it.

Sunderland's problem is they are genuinely hiring bad managers, and have players that aren't good enough, but many believe their own hype (looking at you Adam Johnson and Conor Wickham).

Sunderland need a Pulis, and badly. someone to take no shíte, get the non-performers out, and get the team organised.

I would have to agree here, Bruce is a mid-table at best manager at Hull and Wigan as was O'Neill and probably Poyet, possibly Keane too. Pulis is ultimately the same as well though isn't he.

It's a bit of rinse and repeat cycle. Lambert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mayordenis wrote: »
    Felix Magath plz

You cruel bastard :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think they should take a gamble on a manager who isn't at a top club yet. Paul Cook at Colchester is an example, Derek McInnes at Aberdeen is another. These guys would do well in the Championship if Sunderland go down, no use hiring a guy who won't want to be there should they get relegated.

I was only saying yesterday that Poyet had to go. You don't go talking to the media and saying the things he did, it's just going to make things worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Do you think the supporters would mind that he was manager of Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Talisman wrote: »
    Do you think the supporters would mind that he was manager of Newcastle?

No more than having a Geordie Steve Bruce as there manager before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They're unlikely to get the manager they need in the longer term before the end of the season so it's likely to be someone like Paul Bracewell.

Though I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Zola appeared in the dugout in the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seems a pretty harsh decision on Poyet,he worked wonders last season to keep them up after the shambles Di Canio left after him.

Sunderland's run in isnt too difficult ,they should comfortably pick up the points they need to stay up.
    Qpr and Leicester look doomed and Hull have a horrific run in .

There are so many poor teams at that end of the table and only 3 can be relegated and Sunderland wouldnt have gone down under Poyet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

SlickRic wrote: »

Then why appoint them???
    Maybe the people doing the appointing are the ones who are not up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Dickerty wrote: »
    To be fair, he's been pretty terrible. His motivation skills seem to consist of fist pumping on the sideline.

Does it?
    Have you been on the sideline or dressing room with Sunderland???
    Or at the training ground every day???

Where do people come up with this rubbish from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fudge You wrote: »
    Does it?
    Have you been on the sideline or dressing room with Sunderland???
    Or at the training ground every day???

Where do people come up with this rubbish from?
    Twitter, like d'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Seems a pretty harsh decision on Poyet,he worked wonders last season to keep them up after the shambles Di Canio left after him.

Sunderland's run in isnt too difficult ,they should comfortably pick up the points they need to stay up.
    Qpr and Leicester look doomed and Hull have a horrific run in .

There are so many poor teams at that end of the table and only 3 can be relegated and Sunderland wouldnt have gone down under Poyet.

I rate him as a manager and feel like he is a bit hard done by considering what he did last season.

But, his position has became untenable and the Sunderland board have very little choice. His relationship with the fans has completely has been totally destroyed, so much so that it has resulted in a toxic enviroment that is affecting the players.

They had little choice, they were in free fall. It's a calculated risk, the fans as much as the players need a change and they board are hoping it provokes a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Adam Johnson, interim player manager??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Adam Johnson, interim player manager??

He'll blood the youths at least.

Way too far I know.

• Advertisement

Then why appoint them???

that's kinda what I was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No idea how Poyet lasted so long, I remember thinking like 2 months ago he wasn't long for the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lukker- wrote: »
    West Ham would be insane to not extend Big Sam's contract.

I never got the stick he gets there.

West Ham fans expect their teams to plays football like Barcelona/ Ajax / Real Madrid for some reason......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

West Ham fans expect their teams to plays football like Barcelona/ Ajax / Real Madrid for some reason......

They expect their side not to just give up with 15 games to go. It's great they are safe but why not keep playing with the same intensity. West Ham are on their holidays already and that's down to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

niallo27 wrote: »
    They expect their side not to just give up with 15 games to go. It's great they are safe but why not keep playing with the same intensity. West Ham are on their holidays already and that's down to the manager.

Maybe the fact that the Manager has no idea if he'll be there next year is impacting on the players?

A case of..."we're safe, ain't going down and sure the Gaffer won't be here next year so..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

very talented footballer - but a leader no - in many of the defeats I have watched Sundeland , leadership seriously lacking on-field

This is certainly the case too but they're not going anywhere and when you look at the state of some clubs at boardroom level, things could be an awful lot worse for us in that regard.

The overall recruitment (of both players and managers) at the club has been horrendously poor, there's no denying that. Well over £200m spent on around 70 players since promotion in 2006/2007 and relatively few have been a success.

Dutch TV reporting it's Dick Advocaat with Zeljko Petrovic as his assistant. The source on TV was Petrovic himself. Job until the end of the season with options re-assessed in the summer.

Chris Woerts (International Business Development Director and board member at Sunderland) was said to have initiated talks between the two parties.

Dick Advocaat appointed until the end of the season. His first home game will be against Newcastle, what a way to start! Maybe it will go tits up and we'll go down anyway, but the change is worth a shot.

Advertisement