Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS error after installing RAID adapter

Options
  • 16-03-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Not sure this is the spot for this question, but shure I'll fire ahead anyway. Long story short, I've installed an ATTO Express SAS R680 RAID adapter into my work HP Z420. It's an Avid based video editing rig, so I'm using a 5TB external RAID connected via my new SAS port.

My main issue is that everytime I boot the machine, I get this BIOS error.
    Z420 wrote:
    "110-Out of memory space for option ROMs..

The option ROM for the following device was unable to run due to memory constraints. If you choose to continue, one or more PCI devices may not work properly. PCI: Slot 5

It's directly referencing my new SAS card, as slot 5 is where I put it. (As directed by the retailer and co-workers). I looked up the problem in various different online forums, including the official HP one, and all they kept saying was that I needed to "Set the ACPI/USB Buffers @ Top of Memory setting to Enable" within the setup menu. Unfortunately, this is not relevant to my PC build, as there is no option to do this.

I can still boot into windows by hitting F1 when the warning comes up. Fookin' sick at it at this stage though, and would love to know of a way to get rid of it.

Any ideas would be fantastic.

In B4 'Delete System32' :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In B4 'Delete System32' :pac:
    Install Linux 3.1?
    all they kept saying was that I needed to "Set the ACPI/USB Buffers @ Top of Memory setting to Enable"
    You looking for the option in the Power-On Options?

Also, what version of BIOS are you using? Google seems to say that "ACPI/USB Buffers @ Top of Memory" is only in the original BIOS, but not in a later version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

the_syco wrote: »
    You looking for the option in the Power-On Options?

Yup.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Also, what version of BIOS are you using? Google seems to say that "ACPI/USB Buffers @ Top of Memory" is only in the original BIOS, but not in a later version.

It's coming up as J61 V03.69

Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had a search of the issue again, ignoring the threads that told you to set the whatever, and came across this;

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/Z800-110-Out-of-Memory/td-p/5568289#.VQopZo6sXL8

From the thread, this looks like what you're looking for? It seems your "ATTO Express SAS R680 RAID adapter" needs more resources, and to turn off stuff that you don't need on.
    This is an Option ROM Space issue. It looks like RocketRaid eSATA controller card requires more Option ROM memory space than the system is available. You can try to hide unused devices such as LSI SAS Controller, Wake-On-Lan, or other USB controllers in F10 BIOS Setup. If you have old video BIOS for your graphics card, upgrading vBIOS may increase the option rom space.

Advertisement