Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Patrick's Parade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

If you like walking groups like clubs and schools this parade is for you, otherwise stay in bed its not worth getting up for.

http://galwayindependent.com/20150316/news/galway-prepares-for-st-patricks-day-parade-S52207.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most buses are running Sunday timetables - with just a few doing Tuesday ones (or special arrangements just for the day) instead, to be confusing.

http://news.galwaytransport.info/2015/03/bus-and-train-services-st-patricks-day-2015.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Aerohead wrote: »
    If you like walking groups like clubs and schools this parade is for you, otherwise stay in bed its not worth getting up for.

http://galwayindependent.com/20150316/news/galway-prepares-for-st-patricks-day-parade-S52207.html

Of course there's no way of telling how it will turn out, but if you look at that line up a little closer you'll see that there are a number of performers inserted in the parade (more than other years imo), including a representative section from Macnas, so not just clubs and schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As far as I know it's a junior Macnas group, but must agree it's not a very appealing lineup for a parade, in fairness who wants to watch endless groups of walkers

Storm 10 wrote: »
    As far as I know it's a junior Macnas group, but must agree it's not a very appealing lineup for a parade, in fairness who wants to watch endless groups of walkers

AFAIK it's a group of Macnas Young Ensemble - they make up a lot of the actual Macnas parades and are very energetic performers. I'm seeing a lot of performance groups listed so not sure how that's just walkers?

• Advertisement

Well I had fun :D
    Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Fair play to all involved who gave up their free time to entertain the city and those in the background who did the organising. Wouldn't Galway be dull without people like these

Hope the begrudgers enjoyed their day in bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Beautiful day, great atmosphere, really fun parade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, great day out. Spent way too much on beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

anyone know of any pictures online of the event ?

• Advertisement

SameHorse wrote: »
    anyone know of any pictures online of the event ?

Galway Indo have some on their Facebook

Galway Indo have some on their Facebook

thanks mrs o bumble, i'll check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Didn't get to see quite the whole thing, but from what I saw this year was a fantastic effort and others I spoke to felt the same. Throw the weather into the mix and you have the best parade Galway has seen in years.

what was the level of public intoxication ? ...anyone stick around into the night ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was pretty good. I was out all day until about midnight and did see plenty drunk people but it was not too bad.

biko wrote: »
    It was pretty good. I was out all day until about midnight and did see plenty drunk people but it was not too bad.

glad to hear it!

i remember too many paddy's days see people throw bottles of buckfast etc at people, down at the spanish arch. and guys walking around bare chest punching random people. all in broad daylight. i guess , i hope, we've seen the last of those kind of scenes.

what was the level of public intoxication ? ...anyone stick around into the night ?

Most civilised Paddy's in the seven years I've been in Galway.

Pubs didn't open until 12:30pm, and the guards asked the offies not to start selling until 3pm. Made a positive difference in the early part of the day/evening at least.

We even went to a pub (I'm not telling where!) at about 7pm and got seats in a relatively pleasant environment.

Most civilised Paddy's in the seven years I've been in Galway.

Pubs didn't open until 12:30pm, and the guards asked the offies not to start selling until 3pm. Made a positive difference in the early part of the day/evening at least.

We even went to a pub (I'm not telling where!) at about 7pm and got seats in a relatively pleasant environment.

great to hear it.

i might start venturing out for paddy's day next year so : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The CRAIC in Galway have a hape of photos on their fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/thecraicingalway?fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The CRAIC in Galway have a hape of photos on their fb page.]

Thanks for that link, great set of photos. I went to the parade and enjoyed it with my kids. Usual bit of pushing and shoving in the crowd- we were there early and got a spot at the front- some people arrive late and feel it's their god given right to shove in front of everyone. Luckily I had sharpened my elbows and managed to hold firm lol. Congratulations to all involved, I thought it was very well organised this year.

• Advertisement

great to hear it.

i might start venturing out for paddy's day next year so : )

That said, I did hear tonight that the guards had the walkway between the river and Claddagh Basin sealed off so early because earlier in the day some lads had been messing and one pushed another off the edge. Luckily for him he handed in a boat, not the water, and only broke a leg.

WARNING: there is a degree of hearsay to this. I did see that there was lots of rubbish in the area (it clearly had been open earlier), and I did see the area sealed with two guards at either end. I didn't see the fall, though. But I trust the source well-enough to repeat the story here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Saw some of it, then adjourned to a coffee shop and allowed the younger ones continue on.

Part I saw was a good parade with a range of acts. The Circus ponies stole the show imho.

Congrats to all involved

Great to see all the greened buildings on TV. No other country gets this publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Not bad at all by race week/ rag weekstandards. *runs

Advertisement