Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spay/Neuter costs

• 16-03-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi folks,

so before Christmas, we got asked by a friend to foster a couple of Wild Kittens over the cold winter period while for what originally was meant to be for a month.

Long story short, we ended up keeping them both :), one of them was a bit shyer/more feral than the other and we felt splitting them up would do no good for the shy fella - he was always calm around the other cat. They've both come around now and are domesticated (give or take the odd whiz in the wrong place.. :pac: )

anyway, we got them their shots, 2 rounds each and now need to get them neutered. they're both males but we're a bit cautious to let them out as we were told it's mating season and they could end up wandering far, getting into fights, or leaving some other poor couple to take in more wild kittens next year etc..

- To get to the point, as we had taken them in as feral/stray cats, I rang the DSPCA vet as recommended by a friend, to see what price they would give for both cats and was quoted around €80 each.. We're both working so we don't qualify for the welfare option but at the same time we don't exactly have €160 to drop at a heart beat to get them both spayed.

The alternative is get one cat done at a time but as we don't drive it already adds an extra task of organizing lifts etc.

this could be a long-shot but does anyone know any vets in south/west Dublin area that might offer any spaying at more reasonable costs for multiple cats? Not so much in a 2 for the price of 1 sense, but even with a logic in mind we'll only need one appointment per se..??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

80 each sounds on the highside; esp. for males so I'd definitely shop around a bit. Simply call a few vets and ask them how much two males would cost (being males it's a smaller operation basically).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The €80 DSPCA charge is for neuter, shots and chip AFAIK. Pretty reasonable IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Big Nasty wrote: »
    The €80 DSPCA charge is for neuter, shots and chip AFAIK. Pretty reasonable IMO.

considering my guys shots per year are around €75 id say that's pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Nody wrote: »
    80 each sounds on the highside; esp. for males so I'd definitely shop around a bit. Simply call a few vets and ask them how much two males would cost (being males it's a smaller operation basically).

They had a deal for Neuter & Microchip for €25 on Facebook there, but it wouldn't let me book it in, the online sale wouldn't work.. would have been ideal.. cant find it now so presuming that's done..

I've been told €55-€60 for males also - so was hoping to get both around the €100-€120 at most...

Big Nasty wrote: »

the lady said the Anti Inflammatory shots would be extra and didn't mention any chips - but if that's all included I'd definitely reconsider this.. just get them one at a time.

To be fair she did say that it included a follow up session 3 days after to make sure all was ok but to me, unless I should expect some problems, I would not see this as essential but more of a nice to have/peace of mind extra.

If €80 is a good price to pay then maybe I'm clutching at straws here.. Just I've been hearing from various family/friends that it 's usually around €50-60 mark given the fact they're male and of course it's preventing unwanted litters so it's something that organizations want to promote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hingo wrote: »
    They had a deal for Neuter & Microchip for €25 on Facebook there, but it wouldn't let me book it in, the online sale wouldn't work.. would have been ideal.. cant find it now so presuming that's done..

That might have been their "Feline February" offer but they also have a page saying it's €25 to neuter cats in a feral colony but I'm not sure if 2 count lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Ring around a few vets and get quotes. if the 80 is for neuter and chip I'd probably go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Ring around and get quotes. I'm sure Dublin prices are more expensive but I paid €65 for a female in sligo. I know another vet that charges €35 for males and €50 for females, or at least used to up to three years ago. €80 sounds very expensive for a male considering what's involved, are you sure they weren't quoting for both?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I would suspect that price is for both cats. A "spay" is the female version, and is usually more expensive as it's a full ovario-hysterectomy, which is obviously more invasive. A cat castration is a much simpler procedure and is usually cheaper. I would ring again and make sure you're getting the right quote for two male cats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zapperzy wrote: »
    €80 sounds very expensive for a male considering what's involved

I lol'd at that. I remember when we had our cat done there was a small incision and no stitches and we were all thinking "..but..how" :confused::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If you rang them for a price to get "two cats spayed" they may have presumed your kitties were female, hence the higher cost?

• Advertisement
Advertisement