Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL butter

Options
  • 16-03-2015 4:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does this butter never go soft enough to butter fresh sliced bread without tearing holes in it? Is it something to do with how it's made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I often leave this butter out overnight for baking purposes and it never seems to go soft which is really annoying. I just blamed it on my cold house, never thought it'd be an issue with the butter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Never had that problem, I leave it out in a butter container, always soft enough for use.
    I did notice that in the colder weather, coming down for breakfast it would be harder but not as much as coming from the fridge, the heating would not be on overnight though.

Just checked, soft enough to spread by a long way and the room thermometer says 18 degrees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Our kitchen wouldn't be cold at all. I usually get the 'Dairy Manor' one. I might try the other - can't remember what it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Colder the better for baking!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Colder the better for baking!

Not always true! Room temp ing for Madeira mix is best.

I have tried aldi, lidl, dairygold and kerry gold butters for baking and all are far too solid for my liking, I think it has something to do with the way they are mixed and the mix of triglycerides used in them which give fats "plasticity" . Sometimes I worry the motor on my kenwood will overheat!

They kerry gold with the black "kerrygold" writing in the label is slightly easier to soften.
    The avonmore butter seems to be the best for me it gets soft relatively quickly once out of the fridge and gives a nice end result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Teach30 wrote: »
    Not always true! Room temp ing for Madeira mix is best.

I have tried aldi, lidl, dairygold and kerry gold butters for baking and all are far too solid for my liking, I think it has something to do with the way they are mixed and the mix of triglycerides used in them which give fats "plasticity" . Sometimes I worry the motor on my kenwood will overheat!

They kerry gold with the black "kerrygold" writing in the label is slightly easier to soften.
    The avonmore butter seems to be the best for me it gets soft relatively quickly once out of the fridge and gives a nice end result.

Don't know about lidl and aldi, but dairygold IS NOT butter. I'm a Kerrygold man, don't think much of avonmore butter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

I always found lidl's one very hard to spread as well, even in the summer. The aldi one is perfect for us in the winter but goes too soft during summer to be out of the fridge. Love the taste of Kerrygold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never had lidl butter, but I slice my tesco butter like it's cheese, often with a butchers knife, as thin as possible so it curls off. This warms up easy enough and spreads a bit easier.

stock-photo-slice-of-toast-bread-with-a-curl-of-butter-184245605.jpg

Kerrygold have a spreadable butter which I think if full of tiny bubbles of air or something. Costs a lot more. Some of the spreadable butters have other oils in them though, this one had no oil, just butter and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Seve OB wrote: »
    Don't know about lidl and aldi, but dairygold IS NOT butter. I'm a Kerrygold man, don't think much of avonmore butter at all.

My apologies I'm going back a few years when dairygold had a block butter type product, I agree though the tub style that they do is indeed not butter and most certainly not for baking IMO.

Can I ask why you dislike the avonmore? I only use butter for baking so I can't really comment on how it tastes slathered on bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Teach30 wrote: »
    My apologies I'm going back a few years when dairygold had a block butter type product, I agree though the tub style that they do is indeed not butter and most certainly not for baking IMO.

Can I ask why you dislike the avonmore? I only use butter for baking so I can't really comment on how it tastes slathered on bread!

Yea I go for the taste. The toast test is the perfect way. Really can't abide those spreads. Have tried Tesco butter before and it was awful. Avonmore was better, but it's nothing like kerrygold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Connacht Gold block of butter all the way! Softens so easily and tastes so good......I'm surprised I'm not twenty stone...:D
    Although they changed their foil wrapper recently, now the plastic lining comes off very easily.

product-butter-creamery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I buy the Lidl Dairy whatever 2.19 for making chocolate biscuit cake, it's very hard at room temp.

I buy Dunnes own brand for cake baking, it's very soft butter, so soft that it never even cleanly comes off the covering paper even out of the fridge, it must be something to do with the processing ass while both packs weigh the same the Dunnes ones is noticeably bigger, more air whipped in or added water? I don't know but I love the Dunnes one for baking, no matter what one I use I soften it in microwave for buttering bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Amidoman

I don't like toe Dunnes one. We usually buy Lidl Dairy Manor or Kerry Gold. The best tasting so far.

Advertisement