Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loan on maternity leave.

Options
  • 16-03-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi.i have a full time job but on maternity leave. Is it possible to get a loan in credit union or bank or would I have to wait till I go back.
    Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you getting your salary while you're on maternity leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭user37

Toots wrote: »
    Are you getting your salary while you're on maternity leave?

No im not...just normal maternity benfit..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You might find it more difficult, because generally if you're just getting social welfare (whether it be maternity benefit, illness benefit, jobseekers allowance, etc) it can be more difficult to get a loan. Some places just flat out won't do it. I remember where I used to work, a customer came in to apply for a loan and he was on the dole, and the loan advisor told him straight out that there was no point submitting the application because they wouldn't give a loan to someone who was out of work, due to the high chance they could run into difficulty paying it back if they were unemployed long term.

Your best bet would be to contact your local bank and/or credit union and first of all ask them would it be possible to get a loan while on maternity benefit, they should be able to tell you whether or not it's worth your while applying.

Advertisement