Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat 4 Safety Initiative in UK

• 16-03-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Looks like a good idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭LeoD

Looks like a good idea.

I can't see anything good about it - just more pointless administration and another barrier to stop people from racing. The safety problem with A4 (and A3) racing are the huge fields and narrow roads open to traffic. Look at the carnage in the Ras every year when they put 150+ super experienced riders on an Irish road together. And what would this training day involve? Looks like another weekend club ride so behaviors that come out in races (the toolbag referenced in Doozerie's post from Mayo for example) is unlikely to show up when everyone is there on their best behavior trying to pass the 'test'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I remember a friend of mine doing his first driving test. He'd been driving about 3 years and was into rallying so he had what I'd call good car handling skills. Failed his test miserably due to habits which had never been corrected (crossing hands, one hand on gear stick other on wheel...). I think a lot of the mistakes made in A4 are basic and just need pointing out.

I've raced in the A1/2 bunches this year. I must say I feel pretty safe even in Cycleways Cup where conditions barely allowed me to see. Bear in mind that in the RAS it's close to 50km/HR starting off (so I've been told), very little margin for error. Crashes at that speed are inevitable. A4 crashes seem to happen going uphill at 15km/hr.

Advertisement