Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday to the Deep South

Options
  • 16-03-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi there, my friend and i are hoping to head over to the states later in the year (oct/nov) We're not too sure where yet, iv heard mixed reports about dallas so we're thinking maybe Nashville or New Orleans or maybe Fly into Nashville and outta New Orleans..? Has anyone on here drove that route?.. or also maybe fly into Nashville and out of Charleston? Any suggestions where to go? we're not fussy where we go just want a good american good craic holiday, good music & bars, nice scenery. not interesting in shopping/museums. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love New Orleans. Its unique among US cities. Amazing food, music, architecture. And history.

I've never been to Nashville though (you're into country music obviously?), it looks like an interesting drive from there to New Orleans. You'd pass by Memphis.

Or you could take the train from Chicago, get a cabin and spend the night on the train, its really fun.

http://www.amtrak.com/city-of-new-orleans-train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The 'Villes: Nashville, Knoxville, Asheville.

I'd rate Asheville #1 out of the 3. Esp if you want good bars and music. Exceptionally good beer scene too. Knoxville is a great college town; on game day, it's nuts. Nashville has lots to do; try to avoid the really touristy stuff. If you take in these 3, you get to see the Smokies and Appalachians. Some spectacular must-sees like the Blueridge Pkwy, Biltmore House, Chimney Rock, Appalachian Trail,....

Charleston is def worth seeing. Such an amazing time-warp of a city. Esp if you wander the close-in neighborhoods.

InTheTrees advice is always excellent: NOLA is a must see.

Don't bother with Dallas. I'd say the same for Memphis actually.

Consider flying out of Charlotte. It really opens up your options if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Great thanks for that info, We'd also love to see a bit of the 'wild west' so thinking Texas.. Would Austin be a good place to start from? don't know if we should do a Austin - Nashville trip now....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Gal44 wrote: »
    Great thanks for that info, We'd also love to see a bit of the 'wild west' so thinking Texas.. Would Austin be a good place to start from? don't know if we should do a Austin - Nashville trip now....

Its a tough choice when you're out west because the distances get so large so its necessary that you so some serious driving.

Maybe Austin to New Orleans to Nashville?

For "Wild West" though i'd think more about Utah, Arizona, Nevada, etc. The real desert Wild West. Eastern Texs is actually pretty green and lush.

What about New Orleans to Austin to New Mexico or Arizona? Its a long drive but it would take you from the lush green south west into the desert west.

...just throwing out ideas...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thinking of driving along the Gulf coast from Northern Florida to New Orleans, through Mobile Alabama. Has anyone done this route and if so what would you recommend seeing along the way? Also are there any big shopping outlet mall type places over towards New Orleans..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Thinking of driving along the Gulf coast from Northern Florida to New Orleans, through Mobile Alabama. Has anyone done this route and if so what would you recommend seeing along the way? Also are there any big shopping outlet mall type places over towards New Orleans..?

We did Orlando, Daytona, Pensacola, Mobile (for 20 minutes as it was a joke in Police Squad -Mobile home in Alabama), New Orleans, Cameron (Louisiana) is southwards of Lakes Charles. It was the best holiday I ever had. Four of us did the driving and being in Jacksonville until next January I'd love to do it again.

If you choose to do it there is Gulf Port Outlets in the Mississippi part of your journey on 1-10. Alabama is quite narrow down at the coast but here is the location of the outlets on the map. Look up Premium Outlets for branches near where you're going.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gulfport+Premium+Outlets/@30.42901,-89.099658,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xad4d140b831c749c

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Within the past few months, me and herself road-tripped from Atlanta (Georgia) down through Alabama, Mississippi and finished up in New Orleans.

It was a different view of the USA i.e. not all big, glam and in-your-face cities. We both loved it. New Orleans is fantastic; I would highly recommend a swamp tour when you are down there and a visit to some of the old Plantations.

I have also visited Nashville previously.... goes without saying, but it you like country music, you'll love it. Soooooooo many pubs and all with people who are amazing singers - lots of talented people in this town.

Arizona is beautiful..... so if you are thinking of a road trip from that direction, make sure you stop in Sedona; probably the most beautiful town ever (also the setting for Disney's Cars movies). Take the Pink Jeep Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks Mc Sween, I already did the trip in April and it was excellent, we found that outlet mall and another one further back in Foley Alabama.
    Nice part of the world, stunning scenery in places.

Advertisement