Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clongriffin - Parkedge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Gaz wrote: »
    What exactly does "strategic housing development" mean ? 100% social housing ?

Planning goes direct to an Bord Pleanala, rather than to local authority. Available to developers of over 100 residential units. Can be for fully private housing, fully social, a mix of the two

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Loughc wrote: »
    It's a categorical mess. The traffic lights remain red and often unattended for ages.

I have issue with the fact that you can get the green light but be unable to move because a site vehicle has come on to the roadway and is coming towards you. The site vehicles should be kept separate from the non-site vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭nice bit of green

Yes they’re bloody annoying, but it’s only a minute or 2s wait. Shouldn’t be too much longer to endure them but we might have more of the same when the next phase starts on the old school site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Are there plans to substantially beef up public transport in the area? Because with all the homes they plan to build (which is a GOOD thing, don't get me wrong), a tiny weeny DART train every 20 minutes is not going to cut it at all, the 8-9am ones are already fairly busy as we stand. Also, maybe a bus route that doesn't run freaking PARALLEL to the DART would help...something going towards the airport maybe?

Roads might need an upgrade as well, especially in terms of junctions - rush hour and on some week ends there's already total gridlock. The addition of the stupidest set of lights I've ever seen on the Donaghmede roundabout, which cause traffic to build up inside it, didn't help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

Bat**** crazy
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Good point, correct me if i'm wrong, the quickest way to the airport by public transport is Dart into Connolly and then the Airlink bus? Crazy when you look at the map.

• Advertisement

Good point, correct me if i'm wrong, the quickest way to the airport by public transport is Dart into Connolly and then the Airlink bus? Crazy when you look at the map.

Pretty much so, you could theoretically get to the airport via a combination of the 15+27b+16/41 buses, but you'd be earning a pension by the time you get to the terminal.

I know there was some sort of bus service in the past - the reason the bus lane existed on the R139. Fun fact - the lane has since been removed, but people keep driving in the right lane on that road; I guess the general population REALLY has the average intelligence of cattle...but I digress.

I've read that some "smart ones" use the shuttle bus from the Hilton in Clare Hall, but I mean...that's no substitute for a proper public service.

The general issue with transport in the are is that it's focused towards one direction, North-South and nothing else. If, say, one worked in Swords or Blanchardstown, you're reliant on the car as using the combination of buses would take 3x the time - the bus routes are so poorly planned it's ridiculous, the 27b spends half a century going in-out-in-out of the hospital and neighboring residential estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I've read that some "smart ones" use the shuttle bus from the Hilton in Clare Hall, but I mean...that's no substitute for a proper public service.

I've never used the bus, but I've heard there is a nominal charge, like 50c or something. I am sure loads of people in the area work in the airport as it's so close. It's so ridiculous that there's no viable public transport option and nothing planned in Bus Connects either.

The amount of homes being built in the area can only mean more services (eventually, as we know in Ireland nothing is done properly and greedy developers are looked after first). But there are no dart upgrades due for at least 2 years, so obviously it will be torture from next Feb onwards when the first new residents move into the new Clongriffin buy to lets at the Marrsfield Ave.

Col_30 wrote: »
    I've never used the bus, but I've heard there is a nominal charge, like 50c or something. I am sure loads of people in the area work in the airport as it's so close. It's so ridiculous that there's no viable public transport option and nothing planned in Bus Connects either.

The amount of homes being built in the area can only mean more services (eventually, as we know in Ireland nothing is done properly and greedy developers are looked after first). But there are no dart upgrades due for at least 2 years, so obviously it will be torture from next Feb onwards when the first new residents move into the new Clongriffin buy to lets at the Marrsfield Ave.

You got me curious, so I went to the Hilton's website - It's a 3 Euro charge now. I guess the hotel kinda figured out what was going on :D:D:D

For the DART, it would already help if ALL the trains coming in were the full 8 cars length; As we stand, some still are only 6. I normally move at offset times EXACTLY because I can't cope with crowded public transport, so it's almost irrelevant in my case, but it is indeed not going to be fun for those who have to take the train between 7.45 and 9 (those who have flexitime and INSIST on sticking on main "banking" hours, on the other end, deserve the punishment :P).

A quicker frequency should be paramount, even just at rush hour; Ideally, one branch should be direct to Bray/Greystones and the other work as a shuttle with exchange in Howth Junction, but I doubt Irish Rail would ever wake up to the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rafagil

Hi!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I've just moved in to Clongriffin (Marrsfield Av) and I noticed that the common areas of the building (Halls, stairs, lifts) are very dirty, so:

Does any of you lives in one of the buildings in Marrsfiled and could tell me if is it like this always or its just dirty because of the construction going on the same street? If so, do you guys know when the construction is due to finish?

My wife and I are very happy with the apartment, but we were shocked with the state of the common areas.

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Im using Hilton shuttle on regular basis. 3 euro one way or 5 euro return. Thats the only way to get to airport fast.

Col_30 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

rafagil wrote: »
    Hi!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I've just moved in to Clongriffin (Marrsfield Av) and I noticed that the common areas of the building (Halls, stairs, lifts) are very dirty, so:

Does any of you lives in one of the buildings in Marrsfiled and could tell me if is it like this always or its just dirty because of the construction going on the same street? If so, do you guys know when the construction is due to finish?

My wife and I are very happy with the apartment, but we were shocked with the state of the common areas.

Thanks!!!

If you own the apartment, this should be taken up with the Management Agent for the Management Company of the development.

If you are renting, get on to the landlord about it.

I seriously doubt it's anything to do with the construction and more likely because of an underfunded management company.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rafagil wrote: »
    Hi!

Thanks!!!

You need to complain to the Management Company

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rafagil

I'll see if I can talk to someone from the management company. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Generally they don't. I've been on a staff shuttle at Stansted to get to a staff carpark rather than pay for the Premier Inn bus. It was only a short walk between the two. Never questioned, just a hello to the bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Sorry to bump quite an old thread- but how do people find living in Clongriffin? The fact that the nearest pub is miles away concerns me...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Shelga wrote: »
    Sorry to bump quite an old thread- but how do people find living in Clongriffin? The fact that the nearest pub is miles away concerns me...
    Ballgriffin Inn not far at all and great place

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

This is good to read. Clongriffin has some cheapish apartments I'm interested in and the fact it's so near the city centre is a great positive of the place. I've heard some bad things about the place but now I've heard good!

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Ballgriffin Inn not far at all and great place

Looks like a 30 minute walk from the main street, not exactly stumbling distance.

I dunno, there are some lovely apartments there but overall the place seems devoid of character, and pretty far out from town, despite the dart. Masses of apartment blocks and not much else.

Looks like a 30 minute walk from the main street, not exactly stumbling distance.

I dunno, there are some lovely apartments there but overall the place seems devoid of character, and pretty far out from town, despite the dart. Masses of apartment blocks and not much else.

Is it not near enough town to not care? Granted I don't drink but I agree it seems quite new and doesn't look like a proper town but the fact its so near the city centre with low enough priced apartments is too much of a positive to ignore

Is it not near enough town to not care? Granted I don't drink but I agree it seems quite new and doesn't look like a proper town but the fact its so near the city centre with low enough priced apartments is too much of a positive to ignore

It’s not so near the city centre, it’s on the dart line- there’s a difference. Big advantage to be on the dart line for sure but have heard the service isn’t great, especially at peak hours- may not be an issue for a while with WFH/corona.

I dunno, I just want a few amenities like cafes and pubs, give a neighbourhood an actual neighbourhood feel. I’m still on the fence about Clongriffin, I’m not writing it off totally, but a Romayo’s diner being the only place to eat within 3km is a bit depressing.

• Advertisement

It’s not so near the city centre, it’s on the dart line- there’s a difference. Big advantage to be on the dart line for sure but have heard the service isn’t great, especially at peak hours- may not be an issue for a while with WFH/corona.

I dunno, I just want a few amenities like cafes and pubs, give a neighbourhood an actual neighbourhood feel. I’m still on the fence about Clongriffin, I’m not writing it off totally, but a Romayo’s diner being the only place to eat within 3km is a bit depressing.

I mean it's only like 10KM and the dart is a fairly short journey. That's near for me to consider it close to the city centre, but I agree in that it doesn't have a great neighborhood feel but and Romano's being the only place to eat is very grim haha. And while I don't love the place, the positives are hard to ignore

The dart line to town is fine during peak hours, in the sense you’ll be in town within 20mins. I think door to door pre-corona it was like 30mins for me, which is pretty decent by Dublin standards. You might not get a seat, but it’s rush hour - I never had an issue with getting on.

The 15 bus is also 24 hours, which saves getting a taxi home from town after the last dart. I wouldn’t say town is close, but it’s not far.

If you want lots of coffee shops / food places within a short walking distance then clongriffin probably isn’t for you - there’s nothing there apart from a few takeaways / pharmacy / off-licence / centra etc. It’s very residential and not a huge community spirit due to the lack of things to do. To me, that’s not a big issue so we like living here - close to decent spots in Howth / Malahide / Portmarnock and then good links to the city for work and more things to do.

30 minutes door to door, what more can you ask for. Plus the 15 bus. I agree in that it seemes to lack a community feel but again positives are very positive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

IF you are close enough to the DART station jump on one to Malahide for plenty to eat and drink
    Last Dart leaves Malahide at 11.30 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I see their point though, it’s a bit of a effort to jump on a dart or a quick car ride just to get a decent meal or coffee.

Hopefully that changes soon!
    Having lived in the Parish from 1971 till 2007 and still having family there (Donaghmede ) I can tell you that Clongriffin is not an area many from the Parish would buy into
    Some of the houses are OK and the new Gannon built estate (Belltree ) are good
    A lot of the Apts are rented out and as previously stated no real facilities or amenities in the area
    If you want a pint the Trinity sports and Leisure complex has a bar /lounge with weekend entertainment,it is reasonable enough to join

The biggest downside is the lack of amenities (no pub!), but apart from that it's a decent place. Very residential with a nice big park. Close enough to everything and if you work in the city centre, the dart is very handy.
    This is good to read. Clongriffin has some cheapish apartments I'm interested in and the fact it's so near the city centre is a great positive of the place. I've heard some bad things about the place but now I've heard good!

I've lived in Clongriffin for 5 years (renting) and it's not bad, I'd say.

The area is populated mostly by young families and working couples, with a high percentage of EU nationals; truckloads of small children everywhere, but I guess it's true with most areas in Dublin :eek:.

The apartment I rent, on the main street, is quite good - modern, wooden floors and PVC windows, well insulated (I hardly ever need the heating during the winter, except for the coldest days). Only downside is that it's still got the Medieval arrangement of "immersion heater + storage heaters", but I know other apartments and houses in the area have gas fired boilers.

Transport wise, while I don't think it's as rosy a picture as some paint, it's not too bad either: the DART and 15 route do their job. Main issues are obviously crowding at peak hour (you can avoid it if you have flexible times), a general slowness of both services (24-26 minutes Irish Rail quotes to GCD are more 35+ minutes in the morning, the 15 has stops placed ridiculously close to each other) and the fact they run, essentially, parallel. There is no transport option to parts of Dublin which aren't the "Connolly side", not to mention the airport which is only 15 minutes away.

For anything that's not work commuting, having a car is maybe not necessary but warmly recommended as it'd save you a lot of time.

The only real issue in the area has been a bit of vandalism in the past - the train station and the fact not a single glass panel remains are a testament to that. Perpetrators were usually groups of kids/teenagers, and I dare saying - not the "gang" types, but just normal kids who got somebody to procure them some booze. I've even encountered groups of "study holiday" teenagers hanging out/drinking in the station. However in general, it looks like it's isolated to rowdiness - while as a 250 lb adult male I wouldn't be a primary target for harassment, I see plenty of elderly people, women and young girls walking dogs/jogging around at any time of the day or evening with no issues.

The oddity remains the fact that even with the population, most of the retail units remain empty.

Last, the elephant in the room: recently, an all-council apartments building was opened bang on in the middle of the main street; Can't say it's been affecting things much to be honest, the most "council estate" thing I've seen so far has been a dude trying to wrestle a pile of Dutch Gold 8 packs through his front gate on a Friday evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frankzappa

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I've lived in Clongriffin for 5 years (renting) and it's not bad, I'd say.

The area is populated mostly by young families and working couples, with a high percentage of EU nationals; truckloads of small children everywhere, but I guess it's true with most areas in Dublin :eek:.

The apartment I rent, on the main street, is quite good - modern, wooden floors and PVC windows, well insulated (I hardly ever need the heating during the winter, except for the coldest days). Only downside is that it's still got the Medieval arrangement of "immersion heater + storage heaters", but I know other apartments and houses in the area have gas fired boilers.

Transport wise, while I don't think it's as rosy a picture as some paint, it's not too bad either: the DART and 15 route do their job. Main issues are obviously crowding at peak hour (you can avoid it if you have flexible times), a general slowness of both services (24-26 minutes Irish Rail quotes to GCD are more 35+ minutes in the morning, the 15 has stops placed ridiculously close to each other) and the fact they run, essentially, parallel. There is no transport option to parts of Dublin which aren't the "Connolly side", not to mention the airport which is only 15 minutes away.

For anything that's not work commuting, having a car is maybe not necessary but warmly recommended as it'd save you a lot of time.

The only real issue in the area has been a bit of vandalism in the past - the train station and the fact not a single glass panel remains are a testament to that. Perpetrators were usually groups of kids/teenagers, and I dare saying - not the "gang" types, but just normal kids who got somebody to procure them some booze. I've even encountered groups of "study holiday" teenagers hanging out/drinking in the station. However in general, it looks like it's isolated to rowdiness - while as a 250 lb adult male I wouldn't be a primary target for harassment, I see plenty of elderly people, women and young girls walking dogs/jogging around at any time of the day or evening with no issues.

The oddity remains the fact that even with the population, most of the retail units remain empty.

Last, the elephant in the room: recently, an all-council apartments building was opened bang on in the middle of the main street; Can't say it's been affecting things much to be honest, the most "council estate" thing I've seen so far has been a dude trying to wrestle a pile of Dutch Gold 8 packs through his front gate on a Friday evening :D

Where exactly is the all-council apt building? Is it close to the Restaurants (Ravello Romayo) ?
    I am considering buying a duplex at beginning of Grange Lodge Ave, almost at the cross with main st, but we are concerned with criminality in the area. Whenever we go there to viewings or to just walk around it feels quite safe, but i wonder we are missing the true feeling of living there and we don't want to have surprises...
    Also, wasn't there supposed to be a commercial center just near the train station?
    Definitely the lack of retail stores is a minus..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

frankzappa wrote: »
    Where exactly is the all-council apt building? Is it close to the Restaurants (Ravello Romayo) ?
    I am considering buying a duplex at beginning of Grange Lodge Ave, almost at the cross with main st, but we are concerned with criminality in the area. Whenever we go there to viewings or to just walk around it feels quite safe, but i wonder we are missing the true feeling of living there and we don't want to have surprises...
    Also, wasn't there supposed to be a commercial center just near the train station?
    Definitely the lack of retail stores is a minus..

Been living in Clongriffin for 7 years now bought a house here 3 years ago and I can’t say I’ve notice anything regarding criminality in the area.

There’s been a couple of joy riding incidents, drunk teens like twice a year and the odd attempted break in which is common in a new build estate regardless of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IKKI

Been living in Clongriffin for the last 10-11 years. I've had no problems with criminality. As Loughc was saying, sometimes there could be a group of loud teenagers messing around, but I've never felt threatened in any way. The park is stunning and a great perk for parents with young kids. I'm sure you'd like living here. I think thee is a good community spirit, especially after the lockdown. Really good creche (don't know if you have kids, but we have ours in it and couldn't be happier) and the DART and bus services are good. Near enough the airport as well. Only one offlicense, but it has amazing beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

Just wondering does anyone know if gannon homes are going to start building any of the apartment blocks they got permission for? I know the vesta apartment block on marrsfield avenue hasn't seen full occupancy but they are pressing ahead with their next phase of building. Is it normal for a developer to get planning permission and then just not build anything?

https://www.thejournal.ie/apartments-planning-permission-clongriffin-4942417-Dec2019/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Woah wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know if gannon homes are going to start building any of the apartment blocks they got permission for? I know the vesta apartment block on marrsfield avenue hasn't seen full occupancy but they are pressing ahead with their next phase of building. Is it normal for a developer to get planning permission and then just not build anything?

https://www.thejournal.ie/apartments-planning-permission-clongriffin-4942417-Dec2019/

Gannon are holding off until they've finished all the Belltree houses before they move to the apartments, COVID has caused a delay in finishing the Belltree project.

No doubt the delay and the lack of developement at the moment will help them up their prices when the time comes.

Advertisement