Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier league rights in Ireland

• 16-03-2015 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with the rights here? I had a quick look online but couldn't really anything. I understand it's in Sky's interest to have them with the amount of subs here but why can't we have an online service or someone else bid for them. If RTE or someone got a separate rights package to Sky just for Ireland it could be a real moneyspinner. I hate that we are lumped in with the UK so much in this that to get the games you have to subscribe to 2 English channels. Not that I do but I'd happily pay a monthly sub for either an online service or an Irish station with the games. What's stopping this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Setanta have the exclusive Irish rights to 3pm games rest is lumped in with Sky and BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Liam O wrote: »
    If RTE or someone got a separate rights package to Sky just for Ireland it could be a real moneyspinner.
    Sky buy the rights to pretty much every sport they have for the UK and Ireland because they operate in Ireland too. RTE/TV3 wouldn't be able to compete with the price paid by Sky for the Irish rights, e.g. European Club Rugby. The only reason Sellotanta have rights to show 3pm games is because you are not allowed show live games between 2:45 and 5:15 in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I miss when RTE had the 3pm games. What a time to have been alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sky buy the rights to pretty much every sport they have for the UK and Ireland because they operate in Ireland too. RTE/TV3 wouldn't be able to compete with the price paid by Sky for the Irish rights, e.g. European Club Rugby. The only reason Sellotanta have rights to show 3pm games is because you are not allowed show live games between 2:45 and 5:15 in the UK.

And because they pay a lot of money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If sky didn't operate here, I wonder what happens.

Would the EPL have to sell to the highest bidder here? i. e. A poor bid from Rte or tv3?

• Advertisement

And becaus it is the only Republic of Ireland TV rights package that they paid for out bidding RTE. Only Irish channels can bid for it

The ones BT and Sky show are UK and Ireland packages so Ireland gets more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

noodler wrote: »

Would the EPL have to sell to the highest bidder here? i. e. A poor bid from Rte or tv3?

They wouldn't have to, but there'd be no reason not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

noodler wrote: »

Quite possible we would have all games available through an online streaming service similar to what they have in New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Why you not allowed show live matches? Potential drop at gates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

People always think about 3pm games the wrong way. In theory, every game is originally scheduled for a 3pm Saturday kick off. Games that are chosen for TV coverage are then moved to a different time.

The reason 3pm games aren't shown is because they weren't chosen for TV coverage.

I think the reason game aren't allowed to be televised at 3pm is so as to not adversely affect the gates off lower league clubs. I think with the amount of online streaming that goes on, the rule is outdated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

thelad95 wrote: »
    People always think about 3pm games the wrong way. In theory, every game is originally scheduled for a 3pm Saturday kick off. Games that are chosen for TV coverage are then moved to a different time.

The reason 3pm games aren't shown is because they weren't chosen for TV coverage.

I think the reason game aren't allowed to be televised at 3pm is so as to not adversely affect the gates off lower league clubs. I think with the amount of online streaming that goes on, the rule is outdated.

The online streaming that you talk of is a drop in the ocean.
    There is no way that it would attract anything within a million miles of a TV audience, subscription or free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd guess if somebody took the Premier League to court, they could force them to sell Irish rights separate to British rights. Totally unfair competition.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'd guess if somebody took the Premier League to court, they could force them to sell Irish rights separate to British rights. Totally unfair competition.

But the premier league do sell an Irish pack that setanta have. So they can say it is a fair competition, just bad that the rest of tHe coverage is paired with the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Zebra3 wrote: »

Even if they were sold separate, nobody would be able to outbid Sky.

Advertisement