Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands from the 90s who could have been big.

• 16-03-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey,
    Can you think of any bands who should have or could have been bigger than they are now?

One band that comes to mind is Paradise Lost. They were building strong with Icon and then Draconian Times. I do like One Second, but I think that they should have gone for more of a metal approach like Draconian Times. I reckon they lost a few fans with One Second (which was then followed by the Depeche Mode like Host and Believe in Nothing).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey,
    Can you think of any bands who should have or could have been bigger than they are now?

One band that comes to mind is Paradise Lost. They were building strong with Icon and then Draconian Times. I do like One Second, but I think that they should have gone for more of a metal approach like Draconian Times. I reckon they lost a few fans with One Second (which was then followed by the Depeche Mode like Host and Believe in Nothing).

As soon as i seen the thread title i thought 'Paradise Lost', before i even saw your post, first 2 albums were outstanding then they just went stagnant.

I went to Dynamo in '98 with a band (Misery loves Co.) and on their tour bus on way over i had a long chat with their manager Jez, who also managed PL, he asked me why thought they hadn't cracked it, i told him that as he had to ask that question then it may well be a management issue. Wasn't too happy with that answer :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Pitchshifter. .com was a great album but they just never followed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Iced Earth. They put out a bunch of great metal albums during the nineties but through no fault of their own had missed the boat due to the grunge fad killing metal in the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

scudzilla wrote: »
    As soon as i seen the thread title i thought 'Paradise Lost', before i even saw your post, first 2 albums were outstanding then they just went stagnant.

I went to Dynamo in '98 with a band (Misery loves Co.) and on their tour bus on way over i had a long chat with their manager Jez, who also managed PL, he asked me why thought they hadn't cracked it, i told him that as he had to ask that question then it may well be a management issue. Wasn't too happy with that answer :pac::pac:

They went from a gothic Metalllica sound to a metal Depeche Mode sound. Could explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Iced Earth. They put out a bunch of great metal albums during the nineties but through no fault of their own had missed the boat due to the grunge fad killing metal in the USA.
    Eh, grunge didn't kill metal in the USA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Warrior Soul.
    Signed to Geffen in the early 90's, debut album was a stormer, it still is. Follow ups were great too.
    The group themselves maintain they were killed by grunge.

Massive Paradise Lost fan but I think they were right to try change their sound at the time. I loved One Second and Host although Believe in Nothing was crap, their last 2 albums they have come back to form with savage albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kerbdog should have been massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Curve should have gone the way of Garbage and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Kerbdog should have been massive.

meh, I don't know. You listen back, and while they were good, they weren't *that* great really were they...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Power of dreams - 4 decent albums, cursed by not fitting into a scene.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    meh, I don't know. You listen back, and while they were good, they weren't *that* great really were they...
    I remember giving On the Turn a listen not so long ago and it bored the pants off me. They were playing grunge when the grunge bandwagon had already been exhausted and there were countless 90's bands who they sounded just like.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Warrior Soul..definitely

There was some amazing stuff on the first album. Define Big?

What about The Almighty? Should have done much more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

cnocbui wrote: »
    Curve should have gone the way of Garbage and vice versa.

I agree cept not in the vice versa part perhaps.

Would Tesla fit into this? (Their first 2 albums in later half of 80's) very talented act, still reasonably sized in U.S. but never made their mark in Europe. Very underrated, they watched on as other obvious acts from the hair metal/hard rock scene became massive this side of the pond.

berettaman wrote: »
    Define Big?
    music1-pidea1-570.jpg

Poison Idea were fairly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Tesla definitely make the list...

Eh, grunge didn't kill metal in the USA...

You obviously don't remember the early to mid 90's then.

You obviously don't remember the early to mid 90's then.
    Depends if you're one of those people who believes that metal must be in the charts to somehow be alive. Death metal was going very strong in the early 90's with the likes of Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary and Decide. Hell, even Cannibal Corpse made a cameo appearance in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective in 1994.

Or unless you're referring to hair metal. That was pretty much killing itself with too much hairspray, coke and rubbish music. Rap put it out of it's misery before grunge put the final nail in the coffin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I remember being impressed with LOVE/HATE -XENTRIX -TORANAGA -they could of being big then grunge arrived and killed the scene with only a handful of survivors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remember giving On the Turn a listen not so long ago and it bored the pants off me. They were playing grunge when the grunge bandwagon had already been exhausted and there were countless 90's bands who they sounded just like.

I agree. While I thought they were good back then, I listen back now and they were ok. Not brutal, but not good enough to be "big". But it's all subjective of course.

Most of my favourite bands aren't "big".

Depends if you're one of those people who believes that metal must be in the charts to somehow be alive. Death metal was going very strong in the early 90's with the likes of Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary and Decide. Hell, even Cannibal Corpse made a cameo appearance in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective in 1994.

Who said anything about charts? However bands to need to make sales in order to fund bigger tours.

Floridian death metal had gotten repetitive and boring by 93, Norwegian black metal was about the only thing that was of interest in the 90's and it disappeared up it's own arse around 96 when they started to do that "progressive" black metal sh**e.
    Or unless you're referring to hair metal. That was pretty much killing itself with too much hairspray, coke and rubbish music. Rap put it out of it's misery before grunge put the final nail in the coffin.

I'm not referring to hair metal. In any case rap and hair metal appealed to two vastly different markets, it had nothing discernable to do with it's demise.

Mainstream metal bands like Maiden, Priest, Dio went from selling arenas to selling theaters after grunge exploded. MTV and the metal magazines of the time dropped trad metal completely and adopted grunge wholesale.

• Advertisement

Who said anything about charts? However bands to need to make sales in order to fund bigger tours.
    Bigger does not mean better.
    Floridian death metal had gotten repetitive and boring by 93, Norwegian black metal was about the only thing that was of interest in the 90's and it disappeared up it's own arse around 96 when they started to do that "progressive" black metal sh**e.
    Grunge had also gotten repetitive and boring by 93, I don't see how the two are connected. I also find progressive and atmospheric black metal more interesting than the early stuff.
    I'm not referring to hair metal. In any case rap and hair metal appealed to two vastly different markets, it had nothing discernable to do with it's demise.
    I wouldn't think so. Think about it, you're an angry white American teenager in the late 80's, who would you rather listen to Poison or Public Enemy? One of the reasons for rap becoming mainstream was because of white people bored with hair metal and wanting some fresh.
    Mainstream metal bands like Maiden, Priest, Dio went from selling arenas to selling theaters after grunge exploded. MTV and the metal magazines of the time dropped trad metal completely and adopted grunge wholesale.
    So trad metal was less popular in the early 90's, therefore metal, the entire genre must be dead. But wait, here come Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head, Type O Negative and Fear Factory to grace MTV's Headbanger's Ball.

Bigger does not mean better.

I'm not one of those people who thinks that artists need to live in an impoverished garret in order to make art.
    Grunge had also gotten repetitive and boring by 93, I don't see how the two are connected.

Just because you want to stick your fingers in your ears and go "nanananana" and not listen doesn't change the fact that the media flocking to embrace grunge dealt a huge blow to metal in the US. Without media attention it's harder to reach the new fans you need to replace those who drop out due to getting married, getting mortgages, "growing up" etc.

I also find progressive and atmospheric black metal more interesting than the early stuff.

That stuff is black metal with it's balls cut off.
    I wouldn't think so. Think about it, you're an angry white American teenager in the late 80's, who would you rather listen to Poison or Public Enemy?

Angry white american's didn't listen to hair metal, it was white american teens and twenty-somethings that wanted to party that listened to hair metal, you don't seem to understand the market at all. Rap was still largely a black phenomenon until well into the 90's.

So trad metal was less popular in the early 90's, therefore metal, the entire genre must be dead. But wait, here come Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head, Type O Negative and Fear Factory to grace MTV's Headbanger's Ball.

None of those bands ever went on to sell out arenas which some of them would have done if metal hadn't been killed as a mainstream force in the early 90's. None of them really fulfilled their potential.

I'm not one of those people who thinks that artists need to live in an impoverished garret in order to make art.
    Neither am I, glad we agree on something. That wasn't the point I was making though.
    Just because you want to stick your fingers in your ears and go "nanananana" and not listen doesn't change the fact that the media flocking to embrace grunge dealt a huge blow to metal in the US. Without media attention it's harder to reach the new fans you need to replace those who drop out due to getting married, getting mortgages, "growing up" etc.
    It may have affected it's popularity for a period, but it didn't kill metal as you stated earlier.
    That stuff is black metal with it's balls cut off.
    I prefer to think of it as black metal with brains.
    Angry white american's didn't listen to hair metal, it was white american teens and twenty-somethings that wanted to party that listened to hair metal, you don't seem to understand the market at all. Rap was still largely a black phenomenon until well into the 90's.
    Do you honestly think that rap rose to mainstream success on the back of black listenership alone? The American media would have been paranoid as hell about that happening. Yes quite a lot of rap fans were obviously black, it's a genre that rose out of black culture after all. But there's no way rap would have gone mainstream if it wasn't for white people latching onto it and for artists like the Beastie Boys.
    None of those bands ever went on to sell out arenas which some of them would have done if metal hadn't been killed as a mainstream force in the early 90's. None of them really fulfilled their potential.
    If metal was killed as a mainstream force in the early 90's how did those bands get MTV rotation and sell bucketloads of albums? It must have been a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Floodgate
    Released one great album then were never heard from again.

Life of Agony
    After their debut I thought they were gonna be huge.

3 Colours Red
    Pist.On

Just on the Kerbdog debate. Their debut album for me is their strongest release. A more straight up hard rock album. I wasn't really a fan of On the Turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've mentioned Thought Industry before, thought they had a lot of post-prog-metal potential, but they kind-of imploded around personalities.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

berettaman wrote: »
    What about The Almighty? Should have done much more..

I don't know why they didn't make it - their sound changed a good bit from their first albums (kind of like The Cult) through a grungey phase to a much heavier sound on 'Crank' which I reckoned should have been a massive record. It almost was, they had a couple of minor (top 40) hit singles, toured with the likes of Pantera (and Warrior Soul!). But by the time the 5th album was out they decided to split.

Terrorvision could have been big, Therapy? peaked (commercially) around the time of Troublegum but never reached those heights again. Gun looked like they were going to hit the big time when they had a hit with their cover of 'Word Up' but there was a bit of a gap between albums and momentum was lost.

And of course, The Wildhearts. Should have been enormous. Brilliant band but but bunch of headcases and that hindered them.

Stiltskin - number one hit wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This forum is still living in the 1990's so give it time!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

There's a great Canadian band called The Tea Party. A great cross (at least on their firs two albums) of a cross between Zeppelin and the Doors. How they never sold loads of albums outside of Canada is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Irish band Hinterland? This song was great:

Advertisement