Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics in NUIG vs UCD?

Options
  • 16-03-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello! I'm in fifth year now, starting to look into colleges and courses. I'm really interested in physics and I was thinking of going into the astrophysics side of things. I was wondering if there is any obvious differences between the physics with astronomy and space science course in ucd and the physics with astrophysics in nuig? I'm trying to spot pros and cons for each course, really not sure where to go! I haven't been to the open days yet so hopefully that will help me to make a decision this year.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jameshan

annmarie98 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm in fifth year now, starting to look into colleges and courses. I'm really interested in physics and I was thinking of going into the astrophysics side of things. I was wondering if there is any obvious differences between the physics with astronomy and space science course in ucd and the physics with astrophysics in nuig? I'm trying to spot pros and cons for each course, really not sure where to go! I haven't been to the open days yet so hopefully that will help me to make a decision this year.

Thanks!

Hey :) I'm in the exact same situation as you, only in LC, so I have a little less time to decide.
    I don't know much about nuig's course, but to me it seems that UCD is a lot better. The fact that I can take two elective modules in UCD really appeals to me because it means that I can keep up a little bit of study in music, and maybe a language or something. Campus-wise, UCD is massive, has really good facilities especially for sport. NUIG seems very social though, and it's right in the middle of galway - not as daunting as dublin

Also in UCD in 4rth year there is a feild trip to an observatory in Tenerife, or you can choose to do a "Space Mission Design" ... sounds pretty cool to me.

Anyone else know anything??

then again, accommodation in Galway will be a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annmarie98

jameshan wrote: »
    Hey :) I'm in the exact same situation as you, only in LC, so I have a little less time to decide.
    I don't know much about nuig's course, but to me it seems that UCD is a lot better. The fact that I can take two elective modules in UCD really appeals to me because it means that I can keep up a little bit of study in music, and maybe a language or something. Campus-wise, UCD is massive, has really good facilities especially for sport. NUIG seems very social though, and it's right in the middle of galway - not as daunting as dublin

Also in UCD in 4rth year there is a feild trip to an observatory in Tenerife, or you can choose to do a "Space Mission Design" ... sounds pretty cool to me.

Anyone else know anything??

Sorry I'm only replying now! I actually went to the Galway open day last week to find out a little bit more and it honestly seems quite good, although I'm already pretty sure I want to do astrophysics so ucd could be a better bet because in 1st and 2nd year in NUIG you get a taste for applied, biomedical, theoretical and astrophysics. I still can't decide if that's good or bad for me because in one way I'd like to have my options open and in another I want to focus on astro from day one you know? At least I still have the year to figure out what I want :) I also found out there is a trip to an observatory with Galway as well, I'm not sure where he said exactly but it's in 3rd year and it sounded pretty amazing! Also I love Dublin as a city so to study there would be pretty good :) I'm just kind of afraid to do physics in general, I think that's why I'm researching it so much! Like I'm quite good at physics, my teacher seemed happy when I said about doing it in college and I'm hoping to come out with a good grade next year but obviously it's gonna be tough in college, I'm just worried about how tough it will be exactly! Have you thought anymore about where you'd like to go or anything or are you still deciding? :)

I think I'm pretty sure about UCD at this stage, but it's a decent amount of points so I'll need to think about my number two. Thankfully there are so many placed that you can do Astrophysics (UCD TCD DCU NUIM and NUIG) so I'm bound to get one of them.

I think UCD will suit me though. The flexibility of choosing course modules is appealing as i'll be able to kind of pick and choose my favourite areas, so I can do a little computer science as well as astronomy in year 1. Also read about connections for internships after 3rd year in ESA or CERN so that would be amazing!!

Advertisement