Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue when Deadlifting

Options
  • 16-03-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a problem in my DL and I'm not sure if it is related to incorrect technique or the enw routine I'm doing.

Currently I'm doing the Justa Singles routine and am DLing as follows:
    Week 1 (70%)
    Mon 3×1, Tues 5×1, Wed 7×1, Thurs 9×1, Fri 11×1, Sat 13×1, Sun 15×1 (63 lifts)
    Week 2 (70% + 10lbs)
    Week 3 (70% + 20lbs)
    Week 4 (70% + 30lbs)
    (Total monthly volume 252 lifts at 70%-70+% of 1RM)

I'm now into my second phase of this routine and it will probably be my last for a period of time unless I get this issue resolved.

I can comfortably lift and lower the bar with the weights I'm using. The issue is when the bar touches the ground that I get a slight discomfort in my spine which I think is around the area of the 4th - 9th Thoracic vertebrae - probably closer to the 6th.

I'm not really sure what is wrong with my technique as the bar seems to lift and lower okay and I am comfortable with the weight on the bar - I got one of the guys to check my form, but something is wrong.

With this routine I've been able to increase my PB to 145kg @67kg and I've incresed size by +2kg in just over one cycle. I'm guessing the gains come from a mixture of the programme and I have a feeling that reduced training might be doing me a big favour too.

However, any advice as to how to overcome this issue when the bar touches down?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Do you have any videos? It'll be difficult for anyone here to offer any advice without seeing what your technique is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nope - sorry - I don't take my phone into the gym! Might try next time if I remember to bring it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DylanJM wrote: »
    Do you have any videos? It'll be difficult for anyone here to offer any advice without seeing what your technique is like.
    Essentially word for word the reply I was thinking as I read.

FM, bring you phone and record your DL from the side, and maybe from 45 degrees to the front also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Videos.

And also tell me more about the Justa single routine!!!!! :D

Hanley wrote: »
    Videos.

And also tell me more about the Justa single routine!!!!! :D

I'lls ee about videos later in the week.

Justa singles: see my other thread, there's a bloke on there knows all about them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'lls ee about videos later in the week.

Justa singles: see my other thread, there's a bloke on there knows all about them ;)

Yah.. how are you gettingon with it! Is it "enough"!? :D

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is the routine that is giving me the progress or it is one of the effects of doing it.

By that I mean I might have been overtraining previously and now I essentially have 3 days off as the Monday routine can be blasted through in next to no time. So, it might be the routine and it might be the reduced training that has given me the mass gains and the improvements in lifts.

DL has gone up 15kg from 130kg to 145kg
    Bench has gone up 2.5kg from 85kg to 87.5kg.
    Squat has gone up from 85kg to 95kg (although I'd changed from low bar to high bar just prior to starting this routine, so its probably a dud metric at the minute).
    BW has gone up 2.5kg from 65kg to 67.5kg with no notable increase in bf%.

On one of the lighter days I do arms and some upper back stuff. That essentially is it now.

I appear to have resolved the problem by swithcing grip from double overhard to an alternate grip. It would seem that there was no issue the first week as the 70% load was sub 90kg, but for the second phase it went up to > 110kg which must have been too much fr me with the double overhand grip. So now I use alternate grip and there is no issue.
    I still need to work on my grip though, but I'll need to do that outside of this routine.

Advertisement