Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal

Options
  • 16-03-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All.

Maybe u guys could help me a bit. My neighbor 2 houses down just got a new batch of coal. It's a really smoky stuff , its terrible, when his stove is running I have smoke and smell in my living room. The house smells after it. As I am aware it is illegal to use smoky coal in urban areas. Arklow is no exception. Is there anything what I can do about it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Ivo7 wrote: »
    Hi All.

Maybe u guys could help me a bit. My neighbor 2 houses down just got a new batch of coal. It's a really smoky stuff , its terrible, when his stove is running I have smoke and smell in my living room. The house smells after it. As I am aware it is illegal to use smoky coal in urban areas. Arklow is no exception. Is there anything what I can do about it ?

There's the map

arklowlrg.jpg

I expect you contact you local authority to complain, unless you fancy a quiet friendly word first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ivo7

Thank you very much all, I'll talk to them on Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

to who?
    you should approach the neighbor first not the council
    let him who is perfect cast the first council letter an all that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Talking to the neighbour doesn't always work. Ours bought a load from somewhere that doesn't have the smokless rule in, and when my mam said it to her she claimed she knew nothing about it - a blatant lie because A, it had been mentioned EVERYWHERE for ages before it came in and B, she had tried to get our local coalman to give her a hape of smokey fuel and he expressly told her he couldn't cos he'd be scuppered too with the new rules. She just doesn't give a monkeys. Pretty sure she was reported and pretty sure nowt came of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tigger wrote: »
    to who?
    you should approach the neighbor first not the council
    let him who is perfect cast the first council letter an all that

That's all fine, but burning smoky coal is bad for ever bodies health , it was banned for a reason.

He needs to be reported

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

He obviously knows about the rule because he would have had to get it from somewhere outside the restriction zone.

Don't bother talking to him. If he's inconsiderate enough to deliberately use the stuff smoking out all around him then he's quite unlikely to listen to anyone's complaints. Then when you have to go to the council he'll know it's you who reported him.
    Just tell the council and and maybe your local councillor and you'll retain anonymity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

What's the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Talk to him about it, perhaps bring him to your place to demonstrate the issue.

If he still persists, then report him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

"If he's inconsiderate enough to deliberately use the stuff smoking out all around him then he's quite unlikely to listen to anyone's complaints.
    Then when you have to go to the council he'll know it's you who reported him.
    Just tell the council and and maybe your local councillor and you'll retain anonymity
    ."

Either option A : talk to your neighbour
    or option B: Report local councillor

If it was me I wouldn't proceed option A + option B .
    Upset neighbour is quite unpleasant thing to deal with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement