Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EGR Valve Replacement on Ford Focus

Options
  • 16-03-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Guys,

Hopefully this is the correct thread to post this, if not please feel free to move.

I had a yellow engine light on my Ford Focus (2011) and left into a ford garage in town to get sorted, They told me was the EGR which needed to be replaced. Anyways long story short I asked if they could clean it (as had googled it), but they said a valve was shut and needed to be replaced, I also asked if it could be left as is, but they said it needed to be replaced or it would damage the engine, I also asked if I could take home the old EGR part and they said I'd have to pay a €45 surcharge as they have to send it back to ford. I checked the prices of an EGR on micks garage and came in around €180-€210. The price they gave me was €607 including labor.

Now my questions for someone in the know would be:
    1. Could this have been cleaned?
    2. If I left it would it have damaged the engine?
    3. Why would I have to pay a surcharge to get my own part back?
    4. Does €607 seem very steep?

All feedback would be welcome.
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is one for the Motors forum. Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

What engine is it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mine went on my 2010.

I was told the cost of it to buy the official part from Ford was €330 + VAT.
    Don't think its a hard part to fit, so your price seems high, but then again some of these garages charge an arm and a leg per hour.

I don't think they can be cleaned tbh.
    Mine stuck in an open position and as such was useless.
    Some peopel blank them off, and mechanics have told me they really aren't needed at all for the engine to function.

I'd say getting one for €180 - €210 is probably a used part. That itself would carry a risk of future failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aido12345

TDCI 1.6

Thanks NIMAN, good to hear from someone else with the same issue, and glad I was throwing money into the wind. Mine was stuck in the closed position which I presume would mean that it was just not as efficient on fuel. My Dad (who was a mechanic back in the day) told me I would want to drive the "sh1te" out of it when I get onto the motorway to clean it out (as I'm mostly city driving). :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

City driving is no good for 1.6TDCi's.

A couple of good mechanics told me that maybe once a fortnight the best thing you could do for a modern diesel is to drive maybe 15 miles or so but never go above 3rd gear. It'll sound strange but you ain't damaging the engine, in fact you are doing it good.

If revs go above 2500-3000 rpm then the car will regen the DPF and clean it out. All this driving around in economic diesels at 1500rpm is good for mileage but bad for DPFs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i would have thought 400 450 max for that kind of job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's pointless comparing main dealer prices with Micksgarage.

If you don't want to pay main dealer prices don't go to a main dealer....

Thanks guys, appreciate all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

You could pick one up from micks garage/ebay and get your local garage
    to fit it.
    These egr valves usually need to be "Learned" in so the garage will need up to date diagnostic equipment to do this.
    Tbh its about 1 to 2hrs work in fitting/coding it in all going to plan..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I'd pull it out and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner as it's probably seized open with soot.

Egr's are only used to reduce emissions by sending some exhaust back into the engine. If it's stuck open the engine won't run right

Another option is to block the egr off with a custom made blanking plate to prevent it happening again:http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121026206109

I did this to our 06 Focus 1.6, both the clean out and blanking plate 4 years ago and it never bothered us since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

There are 3 different type of EGR in those Focus, so be careful which one you order on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

I have a 2006 Petrol mondeo with a dirty/faulty EGR.

Am I mad thinking I could possibly change it myself (not a mechanic but willing to give it a go)?
    Have looked at a few guides. This one seems particularly (possibly too) easy

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/EGR_Valve_and_Inlet_Manifold_Clearout_TDCi

That's for a TDCi, mines a petrol, will there be much difference? Some engine diagrams are different...

http://www.talkford.com/community/uploads/monthly_05_2011/post-3-0-67435900-1306822681.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement