Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of the scumbags in this city ** Mod Warning in Op **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Plus no legal aid if you're found guilty of a crime in court.
    Money for first appearance. Money for extra dates for adjournments due to the state not having something ready.
    Pay any other costs back if convicted.
    I think that's more than fair?

Justice system agreeing to this? Zero chance they'll get off the gravy train...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

childers road alright can be troublesome. had three scumbags banging my bonnet and windows one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm all for putting something in the water where a chemical identifies the "scobe" gene and renders them sterile so they can no longer breath future generations of social wasters. :D

this is the answer, it really is.

or else bring back the industrial schools.
    the randy priests/brothers will ensure the lowlifes are gibbering idiots when they
    are released and they will be unlikely to re-offend (I believe). it'll cost a few
    quid in compo claims but worth every penny I reckon.

BTW I can attest to the stone throwing on Childers road...it is the kids from
    the traveller halting site across from the Maldron Hotel beside Aldi

halting site on the ballysimon road also

im actually frightened of some parts of the city.

in fairness monaleen/castletroy is grand (where i currently reside)

garryowen ive noticed is slipping a bit. bit in the paper about it recently

worrying thing is i rarely see garda. there should be garda patrolling these rough areas 24/7

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    halting site on the ballysimon road also

I drive a fairly crap car at the moment, but if I drove anything half-decent I would not park at

Aldi - Childers road - Halting site nearby
    Lidl - Childers Road - Balinacurra Weston nearby
    Dunnes - Childers Road - Halting site nearby
    Dunnes Parkway - Halting site nearby
    Tesco - Ennis Road - Halting site nearby
    Supervalu - Castletroy - Halting site nearby
    Lidl - Castletroy - Halting site nearby

Cresent - OK (but not near the cinema)
    Dunnes - Jetland - no problem
    Lidl - Jetland - no problem
    Aldi - Castletroy - no problem
    Tesco - City Centre - no problem
    Dunnes - City Centre - no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

A few scumbags throwing ( big ) stones at cars up by the Quality Hotel .

lanos wrote: »
    I drive a fairly crap car at the moment, but if I drove anything half-decent I would not park at

Aldi - Childers road - Halting site nearby
    Lidl - Childers Road - Balinacurra Weston nearby
    Dunnes - Childers Road - Halting site nearby
    Dunnes Parkway - Halting site nearby
    Tesco - Ennis Road - Halting site nearby
    Supervalu - Castletroy - Halting site nearby
    Lidl - Castletroy - Halting site nearby

Cresent - OK (but not near the cinema)
    Dunnes - Jetland - no problem
    Lidl - Jetland - no problem
    Aldi - Castletroy - no problem
    Tesco - City Centre - no problem
    Dunnes - City Centre - no problem

yea one of the virtues of driving a bad car is nobody pays attention.

i think that childers road connecting garryowen to dooradoyle is a hazard zone (if i can call it that) if i want to get to the cresent from castletroy is generally use the motorway.

generally the problem is adolescence kids who want to display macho bravado personalities. they nearly broke my car window one day which left me shaken.

i really would like to see more police cars and personnel patrolling the city. seldom do i see any police uniforms

jonski wrote: »
    A few scumbags throwing ( big ) stones at cars up by the Quality Hotel .

Now called Maldron Hotel

A point in Limerick's favour is the lack of (visible) drug addicts, organised beggars and chuggers.
    Discarded syringe needles would not be high on my list of safety priorities for my kids.
    and I, when in Limerick city centre
    Limerick city centre is pleasant enough most of the time.

• Advertisement

A point in Limerick's favour is the lack of (visible) drug addicts, organised beggars and chuggers.
    Discarded syringe needles would not be high on my list of safety priorities for my kids.

ah yea the city centre is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Tends to be cyclical. It was very bad a while back with junkies beggars and chuggers. Not so bad now but there's still a few junkies and beggars about. Got so sick of it about a year ago I just avoided the city as much as possible.

To be honest I think the city is a bit of a kip. When it is crawling with knackers, like it was today it just looks dog rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Tends to be cyclical. It was very bad a while back with junkies beggars and chuggers. Not so bad now but there's still a few junkies and beggars about. Got so sick of it about a year ago I just avoided the city as much as possible.

To be honest I think the city is a bit of a kip. When it is crawling with knackers, like it was today it just looks dog rough.

+1. I also now try to avoid going into the city centre nowadays as it just looks so uninviting, especially William Street.

Catherine St. and Thomas St. look nice enough and have a bit of charm but Wm. St & O'Connell St. are pretty grim right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

tippman1 wrote: »
    +1. I also now try to avoid going into the city centre nowadays as it just looks so uninviting, especially William Street.

Catherine St. and Thomas St. look nice enough and have a bit of charm but Wm. St & O'Connell St. are pretty grim right now.

Most days are bad - these people dont work! They have all week to wander around town.

Parchment wrote: »
    Most days are bad - these people dont work! They have all week to wander around town.

i must say i concur. the amount of people in tracksuit bottoms just loitering is amazing in comparison to towns

mod edit come in for the parade every year.
    Afterwards they crawl back to their ghettos for the remainder of the year
    They don't define the city centre

tippman1 wrote: »
    that's your opinion, in my opinion, O'Connell street is very nice.
    good enough for a St Patrick's day parade apparently

which City Centres in Ireland are nicer, in your opinion.

the real problem with Limerick City Centre is the scumbag
    traffic Gardaí who target (normally) law-abiding motorists in revenue
    generating exercises instead of tackling (persistent) petty criminality
    at the traveller black spots I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

In fairness Cork is pretty much on a par with Limerick with regard to Kens.
    No hot summers day is complete without mass horde of bare chested wilderbeast like scobes gathering in the Lee Fields or Mardyke showing of theur tats and swimming with their tackies on.
    Towns like Tralee and Tipperary are far worse and have a much higher scobe to law abiding ratio.

come in for the parade every year.
    Afterwards they crawl back to their ghettos for the remainder of the year
    They don't define the city centre

that's your opinion, in my opinion, O'Connell street is very nice.
    good enough for a St Patrick's day parade apparently

which City Centres in Ireland are nicer, in your opinion.

the real problem with Limerick City Centre is the scumbag
    traffic Gardaí who target (normally) law-abiding motorists in revenue
    generating exercises instead of tackling (persistent) petty criminality
    at the traveller black spots I mentioned earlier.

They do in my opinion.

I'm not interested in talking about other cities. I live here. And if you think the real problem with Limerick is the traffic Gardai of all things you must live a very sheltered life. Lucky you.

They do in my opinion.

ok whatever
    And if you think the real problem with Limerick is the traffic Gardai of all things you must live a very sheltered life. Lucky you.

I specified Limerick city centre, not limerick as a whole.
    Limerick outskirts are plagued with Traveller halting sites
    I'm not interested in talking about other cities.

Your comment tells me that you have only ever lived in Limerick.
    nothing wrong with that if you are very young, which I suspect you are.

You can moan and complain if you like but you are hardly an authority on quality of life of limerick citizens compared with other cities
    I have also lived in London (Croydon, Walthamstow, Hammersmith, Fulham, Kennington), Cork (Wilton) and Dublin (Drumcondra).

not that sheltered actually

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

There's bad people in Limerick i don't deny that.Yet whenever i visit i always have a great time.Sure Galway where im living is rough enough as well.There was a crowd of scumbags in Eyre Square throwing those cap things around that make that frightening echoing snapping noise at 3 pm in broad daylight a few days ago.Put it this way i don't think Galway is as nice as the tourist board propaganda would suggest.Give me the real honest genuine authenticity of Limerick city anyday.I honestly don't think Limerick is anyworse than anywhere else in Ireland for thugs.I can't give a fair assessment on Galway because i am numbed with the place from all my years up here (it's grand but overrated imo) but i think Limerick (along with Cork) is the nicest city in Ireland.In fact a city like Limerick is a treasure that needs to be more appreciated than it is.Oh and when im in Limerick i love walking along William Street.In fact i love Limerick a lot and i will always defend it when people attack the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

God above the mass hysteria in the limerick forum starts again, there are scumbags everywhere and Limerick is by no means that bad.

The city centre has come on massively in recent years and continues to do so.

New job announcements also will help boost the economy in the city.

The glass is always half full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

kilburn wrote: »
    God above the mass hysteria in the limerick forum starts again, there are scumbags everywhere and Limerick is by no means that bad.

The city centre has come on massively in recent years and continues to do so.

New job announcements also will help boost the economy in the city.

The glass is always half full

The glass is half full for the panel beater who is going to get a few hundred euro's worth of business thanks to the antics of the little scum.
    Me, I'm sick of people excusing the inexcusable. I don't care if x or y is worse. While there are no consequences for this behaviour it will only continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I didn't excuse the behaviour it's not right but whining about it on the Internet is not going to do much, if it's such a big deal do something about it constructively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Sick of all the negativity in this thread. Knackers, travellers, scobes.. Blah, blah, blah. Limerick is a nice city, the people are some of the best. Most of the travellers are good people. F8ck off if you don't like it.

Can you not accept that while most of the people are good, we can't keep ignoring those that are not, as they vandalise, intimidate and abuse the lack of consequences for their illegal behaviour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Sick of all the negativity in this thread. Knackers, travellers, scobes.. Blah, blah, blah. Limerick is a nice city, the people are some of the best. Most of the travellers are good people. F8ck off if you don't like it.

You're really telling the hard working, decent and normal people with actual morals to fuk off rather than the degenerates?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Not a Limerick problem by any means. A tourist was attacked in Dublin yesterday. Can I just say in regards to the trowing of stones or rocks at a car.....if you done that in New York you would be thrown into jail so fast it would make your head spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

It's very understandable that people are showing anger on here as it's without doubt frustrating when people want to feel a sense of pride in their home city when there's an element of people that are more than happy to knock it down, ruin the place and make life more difficult for everyone else without giving a second thought to what troubles others have going on in their lives because of their I don't care attitude,what about poor old me.

Of course there will always be a percentage in each town and city across the country who fire rocks, ride horses on busy roads, intimidate etc however one major impact they have had on Limerick city is how they have destroyed the reputation of the city much more than anywhere else in Ireland which as a result has had knock-on-effects when trying to attract investment, new business such as well known retail brands, tourists etc etc etc

There have been countless times I've been chatting to people who have never visited and asked me questions such as 'Is it as rough as they say?' or I've had people saying 'Jesus I'd be afraid to go on a night out in Limerick, it's suppose to be dog rough & full of scumbags?' etc etc
    Considering Limerick is notorious for this I feel there should be more of an effort made to quash the perception people have of the city by acknowledging and tackling the problems that exist otherwise Limerick will continue to be tarnished with this name. The sense of pride Galwegians and Corkians have about their cities compared to Shannonsiders is a reality.

It's a pity really and quiet frustrating as I actually like the city itself and believe it has lots to offer if not more than some of the major tourist hot spots. As far as I'm concerned it's very underrated when you consider the architecture Limerick has on offer, something that seems to be very much taken for granted, from the very impressive Victorian & Edwardian houses approaching the city centre particularly O'Connell Avenue and the Ennis Rd, to the extensive long elegant Georgian terraces in the city centre (best examples of late Georgian architecture outside of Dublin). A medieval castle in the centre etc.

There's nowhere in Galway or Cork that can compare to the grandeur of the squares with the likes of the Cresent at the top of O'Connell st where the Daniel O' Connell statue is located. There's also St.Johns Sq. Pery Square is widely regarded as being the best example of late Georgian Architecture in Limerick and probably in Ireland with the Peoples Park across the road. There's O'Briens park across from the art college on Clare st, Arthurs Quay park, Westfields and the river walk just over Shannon bridge etc. As far as I remember there's no parks in both Cork and Galway city centres, I could be wrong.

Toffeeboy wrote: »

Not sure why you'd post that. It's no secret that every town and city in this country has problems, there isn't a corner of the country that the scum haven't infected.

Here's a more local Paddy's Day story involving a shooting -

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/limerick-gardai-investigate-st-patrick-s-day-shooting-1-6639290

And here's a report on three robberies since Monday in Limerick where the victims had knives held to their throats.

http://live95fm.ie/news/gardai-investigate-three-separate-armed-robberies-in-limerick/21678

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I posted it just to show it's not just Limerick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement