Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of the scumbags in this city ** Mod Warning in Op **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

anyone got any ideas how to rid Limerick of this so called "scum". Rather than all the negatives. Any fresh real ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    anyone got any ideas how to rid Limerick of this so called "scum". Rather than all the negatives. Any fresh real ideas?

Can't really make parents legally responsible for what their kids do unfortunately.. When little johnny burns out someone's car, and the parents refuse to pay, you can't really send either of them to jail because they're (supposed to be) caring for the kid.. Perhaps let the military run some juvenile correctional facilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I posted it just to show it's not just Limerick.

I don't think that is a revelation to anybody.

The only solution is a root and branch reform of the justice and welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agree with all the sentiment. At least you are allowed to discuss it here. Anyone who brings this up in the Dublin forum gets banned. They are in complete denial.

There is a lot of people in this country who seemingly don't go in to town and city centers at night who I don't think understand just how bad the situation is getting in some places like Dublin and Limerick. In fact I wonder do they even go in during the day.

At the end of the day we don't have a justice system worthy of the name, nor prison space nor a proper police force. We have a crazy drugs policy that see heroin addicts being herded in to city centers on a daily basis as well.

It's bleak really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's very understandable that people are showing anger on here as it's without doubt frustrating when people want to feel a sense of pride in their home city when there's an element of people that are more than happy to knock it down, ruin the place and make life more difficult for everyone else without giving a second thought to what troubles others have going on in their lives because of their I don't care attitude,what about poor old me.

Of course there will always be a percentage in each town and city across the country who fire rocks, ride horses on busy roads, intimidate etc however one major impact they have had on Limerick city is how they have destroyed the reputation of the city much more than anywhere else in Ireland which as a result has had knock-on-effects when trying to attract investment, new business such as well known retail brands, tourists etc etc etc

There have been countless times I've been chatting to people who have never visited and asked me questions such as 'Is it as rough as they say?' or I've had people saying 'Jesus I'd be afraid to go on a night out in Limerick, it's suppose to be dog rough & full of scumbags?' etc etc
    Considering Limerick is notorious for this I feel there should be more of an effort made to quash the perception people have of the city by acknowledging and tackling the problems that exist otherwise Limerick will continue to be tarnished with this name. The sense of pride Galwegians and Corkians have about their cities compared to Shannonsiders is a reality.

It's a pity really and quiet frustrating as I actually like the city itself and believe it has lots to offer if not more than some of the major tourist hot spots. As far as I'm concerned it's very underrated when you consider the architecture Limerick has on offer, something that seems to be very much taken for granted, from the very impressive Victorian & Edwardian houses approaching the city centre particularly O'Connell Avenue and the Ennis Rd, to the extensive long elegant Georgian terraces in the city centre (best examples of late Georgian architecture outside of Dublin). A medieval castle in the centre etc.

There's nowhere in Galway or Cork that can compare to the grandeur of the squares with the likes of the Cresent at the top of O'Connell st where the Daniel O' Connell statue is located. There's also St.Johns Sq. Pery Square is widely regarded as being the best example of late Georgian Architecture in Limerick and probably in Ireland with the Peoples Park across the road. There's O'Briens park across from the art college on Clare st, Arthurs Quay park, Westfields and the river walk just over Shannon bridge etc. As far as I remember there's no parks in both Cork and Galway city centres, I could be wrong.

Bishop Lucey Park and Fitzgerald park both in the City Centre of Cork. Fitzgerald Park like the Lee fields is a magnet for scobes in the summer. All swimming in rats piss with their two litres.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

My experience;

The city has a lot of cheap ****ty property within 1 km of the centre, this is why there are so many scumbags in the city, they can get away fast after causing trouble.

Weston/ Ballinacurra- drugs and gang families

Watergate flats- city centre; this area should have been knocked in the early 90s instead of been renovated, breathing ground of scumbags.

Johnsgate and surrounding area- another cheap rental area inner city hole, infested with scumbags.

Lots of old flats in Georgian buildings not even up to living standards, scum/ junkie heaven.

Mount kenneth and surrounding apt blocks are Slum city, cheap run down kips, drugs and Prostitution galore.

Garryowen has become a hotspot for wannabe 'do you know who I am' types who love the scumbag life.

The Island, nuke the whole place, bar the castle, cathedral and Georges Quay- what's not to say, it had one of the only estate's in Ireland that got completely locked down by CAB for about two weeks and they're proud of their 'culture'

Thomondgate- another area that again is becoming a scumbag breathing ground, probably 95% council rented.

Its the council and social welfare that's mostly to blame, allowing these areas to be ran by scumbag families, stop paying scumbags to have 6 kids and get a free house.

Limerick is trying to rise out of the ashes, but so long as these areas are lawless and close to the city centre, f**k all will change.

As for the halting sites, most in around limerick city are no-go's even for the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

I am in mitchelstown and I get nervous at times coming down through the road that goes from the secondary school to the church its a small avenue. With lots of nice trees.
    I walk through it to find them often hanging around on the walls. The lads and their girlfriends all sit there I often get nervous getting through there because I might get mugged, especially from what I hear on the news.
    I wish the school, gardai and the church.
    I don't know of them personally but a lot of scumbag things have happened including vandalizing the old abandoned convent that was planned on being turned into an opera house. A bin near the church was set on fire via molotov. Another smaller abandoned building near the church that is smaller was set on fire. Also there is a ton of Graffiti everywhere makes the place unpleasant. Thing is the gardai know about, so does the schools and parish church (because the priests live just up the road just off when you come down from the secondary school). Its small town it shouldn't take much of a common sense and effort to sort this out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not a fresh, new idea but incentivised sterilisation would be a good one. Offer a few of those people, especially the young ones, a few thousand to never be able to reproduce. They'd be able to afford a few nagons, phone credit for their stolen phones, tracksuit pants and hoodies for a while or whatever other sh!t they waste their money on. Oh, can't forget the snow white tackies. On top of this, in case they regret their impulsive greedy decision, also register them on a list of people forbidden from fostering children, just so they never get the chance to fail at parenting any children, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

i like it

• Advertisement

Not trolling..just telling some truths, would you like to explain to me where this is not true?

It's basically all spot on. Especially about the no-go part for the Gards. When you think about it, what can the average Gard even do? If anything was to happen in any of those areas and a couple of Gardai went out they'd probably draw a lot of attention from losers who would just want to make their jobs more difficult and we all know how stupid a regular crowd of people are but a crowd of knackers undesirables would probably turn into a mob and all the Gards would have to defend themselves is a sh!tty baton and pepper spray.

I'm honestly surprised Gardai weren't equipped with handguns back during the high point of the bullsh!t that went on in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Was at the ATM beside Supermacs on Tuesday night and these "Scumbags" thought it'd be funny to throw a few bottles of water at us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Not trolling..just telling some truths, would you like to explain to me where this is not true?

You are offending an awful lot of decent people who may have read your post. It's quite easy to live in leafy suburbia and cast widespread general aspersions at entire neighbourhoods, to be honest until you've walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has to live in the area and put up with minorities of troublemakers (scumbags to you) it isn't particularly fair to comment as you did.
    A lot of what you said is probably true to be fair but you don't need to put it like that, it's a vicious circle, must be very hard to get out of that if you've been born into it, with the best will in the world it's an awful lot more difficult than it is for me and probably you. Doesn't make them all scumbags.

You are offending an awful lot of decent people who may have read your post. It's quite easy to live in leafy suburbia and cast widespread general aspersions at entire neighbourhoods, to be honest until you've walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has to live in the area and put up with minorities of troublemakers (scumbags to you) it isn't particularly fair to comment as you did.
    A lot of what you said is probably true to be fair but you don't need to put it like that, it's a vicious circle, must be very hard to get out of that if you've been born into it, with the best will in the world it's an awful lot more difficult than it is for me and probably you. Doesn't make them all scumbags.

Asking the council/welfare to pay for their rent in a different place probably isn't that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

"Originally Posted by Youngblood.III
    Not trolling..just telling some truths, would you like to explain to me where this is not true?"

That brush you're using to paint everyone at the same time must be massive. I'm from Kings Island and take great offence at your post. I don't have so much as a parking ticket.

Maybe you're right though, maybe UL had the same thought and said "Telpis, better give her the first class honours degree, look where she's from". Then when we went into the bank, they said "Telpis. Better approve the mortage... look where they're from".

Before you say anything, I'm not an exception to the rule. It's a great neighbourhood, soccer team, rugby team, prize band, scout troop .... I could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Not a fresh, new idea but incentivised sterilisation would be a good one. Offer a few of those people, especially the young ones, a few thousand to never be able to reproduce. They'd be able to afford a few nagons, phone credit for their stolen phones, tracksuit pants and hoodies for a while or whatever other sh!t they waste their money on. Oh, can't forget the snow white tackies. On top of this, in case they regret their impulsive greedy decision, also register them on a list of people forbidden from fostering children, just so they never get the chance to fail at parenting any children, ever.

Can we add a few TD's, councillors and their crews to this as well or does it not apply because they are better dressed? It might stop politicians inheriting their father/mothers seat, it might even mean we have better government..locally and nationally, may stop some of the corruption, cronyism and nepotism that is rife on this island?

..or is it just the scobes you want to sterilise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

My experience;

The city has a lot of cheap ****ty property within 1 km of the centre, this is why there are so many scumbags in the city, they can get away fast after causing trouble.

Weston/ Ballinacurra- drugs and gang families

Watergate flats- city centre; this area should have been knocked in the early 90s instead of been renovated, breathing ground of scumbags.

Johnsgate and surrounding area- another cheap rental area inner city hole, infested with scumbags.

Lots of old flats in Georgian buildings not even up to living standards, scum/ junkie heaven.

Mount kenneth and surrounding apt blocks are Slum city, cheap run down kips, drugs and Prostitution galore.

Garryowen has become a hotspot for wannabe 'do you know who I am' types who love the scumbag life.

The Island, nuke the whole place, bar the castle, cathedral and Georges Quay- what's not to say, it had one of the only estate's in Ireland that got completely locked down by CAB for about two weeks and they're proud of their 'culture'

Thomondgate- another area that again is becoming a scumbag breathing ground, probably 95% council rented.

Its the council and social welfare that's mostly to blame, allowing these areas to be ran by scumbag families, stop paying scumbags to have 6 kids and get a free house.

Limerick is trying to rise out of the ashes, but so long as these areas are lawless and close to the city centre, f**k all will change.

As for the halting sites, most in around limerick city are no-go's even for the Gardai.

This might as well have come from the pen of a tabloid journalist or the gutter press as they are known.

Writing off entire areas is highly offensive, and I am not from one of the areas you listed, and highly inaccurate...a minority of residents in certain areas are very problematic for a host of reasons. Those reasons are not the result of the actions of those problematic residents they are the result of the actions of Central Government who have systematically failed to address deep underlying issues ie Intergenerational unemployment and the Free Legal aid system alongside our joke of a Justice system.

I gotta laugh of the "no-go" halting sites....why would anyone have any business in a halting site or an estate where they don't have family or friends..where I grew up the only people I would see would be people from the area or people visiting people from the area...does that make it a "no-go" area?

As for those posters who are frightened of Limerick City, there are CCTV cameras everywhere making it probably the safest city centre we could possibly aspire to, if you don't believe me ask a guard, if you can find one.

It may not feel safe, if that is the case there is a good chance you are buying into the horrible image of the city that we get pounded with all the time, this is not helping you enjoy the city the rest of manage to enjoy and feel safe in.

"Limerick is rising from the ashes"...more hyperbole...ya the city get a right smack back in 08/09 and for a few years after but we were one of the most prosperous parts of the country then, and have only slipped marginally in the meantime.

The city has just cut its unemployment level by 27% in one year, an astonishing performance, the region is currently producing more opportunity than anywhere outside of Dublin at the moment, you'd never think it if you spent your life in this forum.

Here is a suggestion, instead of engaging in a bit of notorious Irish snobbery, direct your anger at the real perpetrators of what is frustrating residents of this city...Central Government.

"Originally Posted by Youngblood.III
    Not trolling..just telling some truths, would you like to explain to me where this is not true?"

That brush you're using to paint everyone at the same time must be massive. I'm from Kings Island and take great offence at your post. I don't have so much as a parking ticket.

Maybe you're right though, maybe UL had the same thought and said "Telpis, better give her the first class honours degree, look where she's from". Then when we went into the bank, they said "Telpis. Better approve the mortage... look where they're from".

Before you say anything, I'm not an acception to the rule. It's a great neighbourhood, soccer team, rugby team, prize band, scout troop .... I could go on.

The Scumbags have it ruined for you and continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

The Scumbags have it ruined for you and continue to do so.

Now I know you're trolling. I love the neighbourhood and love living there.

From the Limerick Post:

"Since 2011, there has been a drop of 61 Garda personnel in the Limerick Garda Division. Yet, anti-social behaviour is rife throughout Limerick, much of it going unreported as people believe the Gardaí won’t have the time to take this type of crime seriously"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I was in shelbourne park yesterday with my 7 year old son. He was doing laps on his bike As i was walking the dog. Driving home he said those boys in the park threw things at me when i was cycling by. They didn't hit him but still. I noticed them coming into the park and i thought their just having a bit of crack on a beautiful day in the park.
    But no they were scum who like to throw things a little boys on their bikes.
    Even if i saw it what could i do? 6 or 7 14 or 15 year olds against me. Id end up in hospital.
    why do they do these things and whats going to stop it.it just defies logic.
    I'm sorry but i think they should have the **** kicked out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

One of the popular lines trotted out any time this topic comes up is "the vast majority of the people living in these places are decent."

Well having vast experience of one of these places that certainly isn't what I saw. In fact the vast majority were total scum and the minority of people who were decent were living in total fear of their lives, hounded night noon and morning by these "decent" people.

Its a total myth. The decent people in these well known areas are moving out if they can or they end up seeing out their final days in total misery. Most are elderly. Then their houses are handed over to the scum of the earth. The decent people in these places are a rapidly dwindling minority.

If I had a penny for every time I saw one of these "decent" people behaving like an animal I'd be a multi millionaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Was at the ATM beside Supermacs on Tuesday night and these "Scumbags" thought it'd be funny to throw a few bottles of water at us...
    You can bet they are all middle class kids from Villiers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This thread is a bit of a train wreck at the moment so I'm locking it while I clean it up a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right folks,

I've deleted a number of posts, this is the only warning that's going to be given, any bickering/generalisations/racism will lead to bans. There's the basis of a great discussion here, please do so within the guidelines of the charter and rules of boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I had bottles thrown at my car when going into the underground at the jetland by a bunch of kids, and that's what they were kids. I reversed my car got out to take a picture of them but they were gone. Told the security inside but they couldn't have been less interested.

We need more on the ground patrols, there are a lot of kids messing as they have "nothing better to do" the majority of them would scarper at the site of a uniform as it is generally one kid with bravado egging them all on.

More visual policing, and if the country can't afford it then the council should think about hiring a private security firm to patrol instead, if they took only a fraction of the infamous "bridge we don't need" money and plowed it into security the general population would be a lot happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I had bottles thrown at my car when going into the underground at the jetland by a bunch of kids, and that's what they were kids. I reversed my car got out to take a picture of them but they were gone. Told the security inside but they couldn't have been less interested.

We need more on the ground patrols, there are a lot of kids messing as they have "nothing better to do" the majority of them would scarper at the site of a uniform as it is generally one kid with bravado egging them all on.

More visual policing, and if the country can't afford it then the council should think about hiring a private security firm to patrol instead, if they took only a fraction of the infamous "bridge we don't need" money and plowed it into security the general population would be a lot happier.
    I've had eggs thrown at my car around there too. Funny this is I recognised some of them. All from nice middle class families and not from bad areas. (my point is you cannot generalise, bored kids are bored kids)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

need more cops on patrol. i never see any cops.

also build a few soccer pitches and get the kids playing sports. it must be the hormones but all the problems i have stem from adolescents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

I've had eggs thrown at my car around there too. Funny this is I recognised some of them. All from nice middle class families and not from bad areas. (my point is you cannot generalise, bored kids are bored kids)

eggs are not a big deal
    stones and rocks are

we know who throw the rocks, they are the problem
    not the middle class egg-throwers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Not a fresh, new idea but incentivised sterilisation would be a good one. Offer a few of those people, especially the young ones, a few thousand to never be able to reproduce.
    fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

i like it

I love it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement