Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of the scumbags in this city ** Mod Warning in Op **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Maybe you're right though, maybe UL had the same thought and said "Telpis, better give her the first class honours degree, look where she's from". Then when we went into the bank, they said "Telpis. Better approve the mortage... look where they're from".

what or who is Telpis ?
    I have googled it and i'm no wiser
    I just see a load of hashtag rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Less cops.... more stuff for kids to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

This might as well have come from the pen of a tabloid journalist or the gutter press as they are known.

Writing off entire areas is highly offensive, and I am not from one of the areas you listed, and highly inaccurate...a minority of residents in certain areas are very problematic for a host of reasons. Those reasons are not the result of the actions of those problematic residents they are the result of the actions of Central Government who have systematically failed to address deep underlying issues ie Intergenerational unemployment and the Free Legal aid system alongside our joke of a Justice system.

I gotta laugh of the "no-go" halting sites....why would anyone have any business in a halting site or an estate where they don't have family or friends..where I grew up the only people I would see would be people from the area or people visiting people from the area...does that make it a "no-go" area?

As for those posters who are frightened of Limerick City, there are CCTV cameras everywhere making it probably the safest city centre we could possibly aspire to, if you don't believe me ask a guard, if you can find one.

It may not feel safe, if that is the case there is a good chance you are buying into the horrible image of the city that we get pounded with all the time, this is not helping you enjoy the city the rest of manage to enjoy and feel safe in.

"Limerick is rising from the ashes"...more hyperbole...ya the city get a right smack back in 08/09 and for a few years after but we were one of the most prosperous parts of the country then, and have only slipped marginally in the meantime.

The city has just cut its unemployment level by 27% in one year, an astonishing performance, the region is currently producing more opportunity than anywhere outside of Dublin at the moment, you'd never think it if you spent your life in this forum.

Here is a suggestion, instead of engaging in a bit of notorious Irish snobbery, direct your anger at the real perpetrators of what is frustrating residents of this city...Central Government.

You know I wasn't going to respond to this because I know how people get their backs up. Limerick is so small the likelihood is most of us grew up in or alongside these places.

I’m from Moyross originally (I moved before I reached my teens but that’s beside the point), my grandparents moved in from the country in the 50’s and started a family in Kileely. My grandfather had one rule and my father the same: “Bring a member of the Gardaí to the front door and I’ll kill you”

My dad and his brothers never got in trouble and neither did my family.
    My dad and his siblings grew up got trades etc, ran successful business, my own dad the transport manager for a large semi-state company. Me, I am a successful Quantity Surveyor. (Even if that sounds self-absorbed) I have lived in Dublin and London and I moved back to Limerick because I love it here.

You can be and are successful even if you come from “rough” areas. Where am I going with this you might say? Well I believe this guy is right even if you don’t. The very fact we fight to preserve the areas integrity allows what is a scum element to thrive.

You drive around these areas, there’s bags of rubbish thrown on the street, wild horses, packs of dogs and little scrotes that roam around in packs thinking they are hard. Their parents couldn't give a shiite about them and as a result they don’t give a crap about themselves or the areas they are in.

The guards don’t even respond to acts of vandalism, so what do you think happens? They won’t get a boot up the arse from their parents or they will get suspended sentences and free legal aid… they have no consequences.

Whereas ordinary decent people that work hard to keep their house painted, the road outside their house clean etc. They get egged, their windows broken, their cars scratched all the while the scrotes blame everyone else but themselves.

The fact is: places like Moyross, Southill etc do have nice and hardworking people working away in them but they are diluted by the Social Welfare brigade that do nothing but have 10 kids, chuck em all out into the road and don’t parent them and let them run riot!

Ill re-iterate my earlier stance and say, I lived in other cities and countries, I love limerick and moved home, I will start a family here and ill work here for the rest of my life, however let’s not get carried away and say that there are pretty much no-go areas in limerick and that poster has highlighted quite a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I've had eggs thrown at my car around there too. Funny this is I recognised some of them. All from nice middle class families and not from bad areas. (my point is you cannot generalise, bored kids are bored kids)

That's interesting. The Jetland and Bowling place across the way is notorious for gangs of teenagers causing trouble. The supermacs had all of its windows put in last summer by a gang that was hanging around there for months. However they weren't middle class kids that were responsible, the ringleaders were two idiots from Thomondgate who have a long history of vandalism and thuggery. One of them is currently up in Pats doing a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Bishop Lucey Park and Fitzgerald park both in the City Centre of Cork. Fitzgerald Park like the Lee fields is a magnet for scobes in the summer. All swimming in rats piss with their two litres.

Nothing boils my blood more than people swimming on hot days...Absolute scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Nothing boils my blood more than people swimming on hot days...Absolute scum.

That post has me laughing out loud, brilliant:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

That's interesting. The Jetland and Bowling place across the way is notorious for gangs of teenagers causing trouble. The supermacs had all of its windows put in last summer by a gang that was hanging around there for months. However they weren't middle class kids that were responsible, the ringleaders were two idiots from Thomondgate who have a long history of vandalism and thuggery. One of them is currently up in Pats doing a stretch.
    There are a few different groups.

There are a few different groups.

Indeed there are. A lot of the groups organise to meet over facebook. For example a large group of up to 100 teenagers from Kileely & Thomondgate regularly head over to Caherdavin and in the vicinity of the Jetland. Their route, through Clareview usually coincides with wanton vandalism on the way including bottle throwing and breaking windows with rocks and stones. The parents of these thugs are no different, they behaved the same themselves and don't give a toss about their kids or what they do.

They're all lost causes heading for Mulgrave Street or an early grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

lanos wrote: »
    what or who is Telpis ?
    I have googled it and i'm no wiser
    I just see a load of hashtag rubbish

Telpis/telpus is abbreviated version of "god help us". It helps to say it with the typical inner city Limerick twang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Telpis/telpus is abbreviated version of "god help us". It helps to say it with the typical inner city Limerick twang!

thanks for the heads-up

I have a new-found disrespect for anybody who uses a slang word as un-intuitive as Telpis
    How was the T introduced into the word.
    Helpis would still be terrible, but slightly intuitive

but as I don't know anybody with a typical inner city Limerick twang, I should not have my ears assaulted anytime soon.

</rant>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

geniuspure wrote: »
    Limerick is a hole

You won't mind not coming back from a while so

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

thanks for the heads-up

No problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

@cronin_j

You have a point in that parenting has a role to play, it certainly does.
    There are kids in these areas who go on to do well, and they do have good parents.
    Their next door neighbour does 3 years in the joy, and his parents are not so good.
    And then you have the lad who's parents are good people, and he still goes down the wrong path.

The fact of the matter is you have a mix... but here is the critical point.... you cannot expect everyone to be a hero, do a solo run, and come up out of the utterly ABHORRENT socioeconomic devastation that these communities suffered, and suffered for the benefit of the rest of Limerick.

There are many kids that I worked with in Southill and Moyross and they were great kids, absolutely fantastic. I meet some of these same kids now and they are drugged up, have no education, no job, no sense of self worth, or I don't meet them at all, as they are dead. That is appalling. Dead before 25. Think a bit and consider the bigger picture, because it is not purely down to personal choice that these same kids turn out such a way in such dramatic numbers. They were good children, with every bit of enthusiasm and curiosity for life.

I can tell you that children in certain other parts of Limerick, landed into the sh!t and challenges that Moyross and Southill kids faced and face, and they would have turned out to be some of the most depressed, unstable and/or criminal people. But that's Limerick for you, we don't give a f#ck about anything as long as it's not on our doorstep.

Push a community down, and natural leaders emerge. But others fall. And they fall at a young age. And when they fall, there is no one is going to rescue them, as they are busy spending public money on golf courses in Rathbane and funding pensions and related party transactions for the boys.

My view always has been that you either spend the money at the start, or you spend it at the end. Spend it early in the kids life, or spend it dealing with what gets churned out by ignoring the problem. Either way, you will spend it. Definitely. Do the sums, and see it is cheaper to spend it at the start. Look at projected outcomes, and see that it produces a better outcome.

As for the young adults out there committing crime, I do feel sorry for the vast majority of them with the profile of them often similar in terms of their background. Utterly depressing existence. But more than anything, I am 100% with the victims of crime in Limerick. But we certainly need to get more bang for our buck with the kids in these areas when they are young, and give them a fair shake and chance at life. Equality of opportunity. Not handouts. Personal ownership. Parenting skills. Jobs. Access to education. Housing.

If you don't get that, you don't understand the socio-economic disadvantage in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

myshirt wrote: »
    @cronin_j

You have a point in that parenting has a role to play, it certainly does.
    There are kids in these areas who go on to do well, and they do have good parents.
    Their next door neighbour does 3 years in the joy, and his parents are not so good.
    And then you have the lad who's parents are good people, and he still goes down the wrong path.

The fact of the matter is you have a mix... but here is the critical point.... you cannot expect everyone to be a hero, do a solo run, and come up out of the utterly ABHORRENT socioeconomic devastation that these communities suffered, and suffered for the benefit of the rest of Limerick.

There are many kids that I worked with in Southill and Moyross and they were great kids, absolutely fantastic. I meet some of these same kids now and they are drugged up, have no education, no job, no sense of self worth, or I don't meet them at all, as they are dead. That is appalling. Dead before 25. Think a bit and consider the bigger picture, because it is not purely down to personal choice that these same kids turn out such a way in such dramatic numbers. They were good children, with every bit of enthusiasm and curiosity for life.

I can tell you that children in certain other parts of Limerick, landed into the sh!t and challenges that Moyross and Southill kids faced and face, and they would have turned out to be some of the most depressed, unstable and/or criminal people. But that's Limerick for you, we don't give a f#ck about anything as long as it's not on our doorstep.

Push a community down, and natural leaders emerge. But others fall. And they fall at a young age. And when they fall, there is no one is going to rescue them, as they are busy spending public money on golf courses in Rathbane and funding pensions and related party transactions for the boys.

My view always has been that you either spend the money at the start, or you spend it at the end. Spend it early in the kids life, or spend it dealing with what gets churned out by ignoring the problem. Either way, you will spend it. Definitely. Do the sums, and see it is cheaper to spend it at the start. Look at projected outcomes, and see that it produces a better outcome.

As for the young adults out there committing crime, I do feel sorry for the vast majority of them with the profile of them often similar in terms of their background. Utterly depressing existence. But more than anything, I am 100% with the victims of crime in Limerick. But we certainly need to get more bang for our buck with the kids in these areas when they are young, and give them a fair shake and chance at life. Equality of opportunity. Not handouts. Personal ownership. Parenting skills. Jobs. Access to education. Housing.

If you don't get that, you don't understand the socio-economic disadvantage in Limerick.

I completely agree with what you have just wrote, I was waiting for an accurate response.

Having grown up in a disadvantaged community myself, I understand the challenges. Parenting has a large role, but does not completely dictate the life of a child. If you live in an area where drink and drugs are the norm, then unless you lock your child in doors all the time and homeschool them, theres always a quite real risk.

There are amazing children living in the worst estates/areas. They are very intelligent ones, very good singers, very good dancers, etc. The social system can still not fully embrace these talents though. What happens is that the good singers for example will go off to competitions and get on very well, but may once go off and get absolutely plastered and suddenly find themselves slowly losing their way in their talent.

We need proper education and programmes. Teenagers see it as acceptable to steal and often justify it as -"I don't have enough money to be buying these things, so I HAVE to rob them". They are completely unaware of the effect it has on shop owners and peoples lives. They are unaware of how much drink and drugs can damage them!

The current programmes don't work as well as I think they could be maneovered to. The programmes need someone who has grown up in the area, talks like the locals, associates with the locals and have a complete experince in the area.

I have seen the smartest of people, the most skilled soccer players and the best of singers go down the drain because they value going out drinking at the age of 14/15/16 more than they value their talent. This is because of (in my opinion), a lack of education. The only way to get through to everyone is to get someone who effectively speaks their language. They need to feel like they can talk to the people and be listened to and get non judgemental responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Look at Cllr Frankie Daly, a true gent. He commands a great level of respect across the spectrum - and has credibility in eyes of many people across all profiles of persons in Limerick, the school drop out all the way up to the college educated CEO. There's an honest hard working man who would be a great role model to get good outcomes for kids where they respect themselves and respect the rest of society.

You need more like that, it would go a good way towards building trust within communities and instilling a bit of confidence.

Awful pity he is under the Labour banner, but there you go, that's another forum. Very good lad though, and the right man to have a word with a young man going the wrong way, and to also champion the cause of those vulnerable families trying their best to get good outcomes for their children, but doing so in shocking circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Very good posts lads, completely agree but couldn't put it as eloquently as that. So easy to sit in middle class Ivory towers casting judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

They are moving in the right direction on education anyway fair play to them.

Saw a few "hands down the trackie pants" heads strutting their way toward UL during the week.

I'm going to have to revise my policy of a 500m exclusion zone around any sightings of this bizarre and disgusting habit - I'm running out of places I can go in the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

eggs are not a big deal
    stones and rocks are

we know who throw the rocks, they are the problem
    not the middle class egg-throwers

The enzymes in eggs destroy the car's paint finish and egg shell can do damage too. Stone throwing is worse, but egg throwing is still a nasty thing to do.

The enzymes in eggs destroy the car's paint finish and egg shell can do damage too. Stone throwing is worse, but egg throwing is still a nasty thing to do.
    Well there were small cracks in the paint work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

We have a visitor from another country here with us for a week. I am mortified as to what she has seen in this city. We have decided to head to Cork/Galway for a day trip to get out of here. I have to constantly emphasise this city and some of the people here are not what all cities and people in Ireland are like.

To be honest i am mortified to be from this city right now.

• Advertisement

Parchment wrote: »
    We have a visitor from another country here with us for a week. I am mortified as to what she has seen in this city. We have decided to head to Cork/Galway for a day trip to get out of here. I have to constantly emphasise this city and some of the people here are not what all cities and people in Ireland are like.

To be honest i am mortified to be from this city right now.
    In my opinion that's a bit ridiculous. Limerick has its share of problems but there is no reason I can see to be "mortified". What did they see exactly?

In my opinion that's a bit ridiculous. Limerick has its share of problems but there is no reason I can see to be "mortified". What did they see exactly?

I dont think it is - she saw drunk parents fighting with their little kids in a pram with them. Drunk teens throwing bottles onto the road on Mallow St. Junkies fighting down by the Milk Market. Travellers shouting at each other across William St. with choice language. Travellers driving like lunatics around in their massive jeeps.

Why would i want this to be what someone sees of the city I am from? I am mortified and i am allowed to be. There are lots of decent people here but as the OP says ....im sick of the scum here.

I dont think it is - she saw drunk parents fighting with their little kids in a pram with them. Drunk teens throwing bottles onto the road on Mallow St. Junkies fighting down by the Milk Market. Travellers shouting at each other across William St. with choice language. Travellers driving like lunatics around in their massive jeeps.

Why would i want this to be what someone sees of the city I am from? I am mortified and i am allowed to be. There are lots of decent people here but as the OP says ....im sick of the scum here.

You think Cork, Galway and Dublin are so much better? Dont be ridiculous! Have you ever brought business clients down O'Connell street Dublin? Thats full of homeless people and druggies.

All the cities have social problems, Limerick especially, but its people like you who blow them completely out of proportion.

When I'm in Limerick on my average day, I usually dont see much more than the odd group of jimi's from one of the estates and you don't mind that. That happens everywhere.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You think Cork, Galway and Dublin are so much better? Dont be ridiculous! Have you ever brought business clients down O'Connell street Dublin? Thats full of homeless people and druggies.

All the cities have social problems, Limerick especially, but its people like you who blow them completely out of proportion.

When I'm in Limerick on my average day, I usually dont see much more than the odd group of jimi's from one of the estates and you don't mind that. That happens everywhere.

I am entitled to my opinion. I wish i didnt feel this way about my city but I do.

I am entitled to my opinion. I wish i didnt feel this way about my city but I do.

Agree 100%

Have had too many experiences like yours with relations visting from abroad. Make a point of avoiding the city now with visitors, it's a trip to the Burren, Galway and the seaside instead.

And take no notice of the people having a go at you for doing likewise. They just can't handle the truth about this place.

Agree 100%

Have had too many experiences like yours with relations visting from abroad. Make a point of avoiding the city now with visitors, it's a trip to the Burren, Galway and the seaside instead.

And take no notice of the people having a go at you for doing likewise. They just can't handle the truth about this place.

Thanks i really appreciate it . We tried to show her the good things in the city but they didnt seem to be able to make up for the bad things she saw. We are heading to the Burren tomorrow...great minds!

Agree 100%

Take them up to O'Connell Street Dublin so, show them the real Ireland :).

99% of cities in the world have social problems. Limerick may have proportionally more for its size, but to say that you need to bring the visitors to Cork is kinda hypocritical in a way. Cork has plenty of social problems too.

Also, you may note that I am not from Limerick nor do I live there.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Take them up to O'Connell Street Dublin so, show them the real Ireland :).

99% of cities in the world have social problems. Limerick may have proportionally more for its size, but to say that you need to bring the visitors to Cork is kinda hypocritical in a way. Cork has plenty of social problems too.

Also, you may note that I am not from Limerick nor do I live there.

I dont think Cork or Galway are perfect bubbles of middle class couples with 2.4 children who only eat organic food and drive an Audi with a labrador in the back.

I personally think those cities give better examples of Irish people and our country than Limerick does. There are less "scum" in these cities from my experience - i lived in Galway for 5 years and visit Cork on a very regular basis due to a close friend living there. So I think i do get to make a call on how i feel about the social problems in the three cities.

I posted here about being mortified for what my visitor saw - but she, herself, was shocked by what she saw - so thats an outsiders view of this city. She is from a large city in Germany and was shocked. So thats an outsiders view - not mine.

I dont think Cork or Galway are perfect bubbles of middle class couples with 2.4 children who only eat organic food and drive an Audi with a labrador in the back.

I personally think those cities give better examples of Irish people and our country than Limerick does. There are less "scum" in these cities from my experience - i lived in Galway for 5 years and visit Cork on a very regular basis due to a close friend living there. So I think i do get to make a call on how i feel about the social problems in the three cities.

I posted here about being mortified for what my visitor saw - but she, herself, was shocked by what she saw - so thats an outsiders view of this city. She is from a large city in Germany and was shocked. So thats an outsiders view - not mine.
    If she was shocked she must be a bit closeted. I wonder what she would think walking down the street in Manila.

• Advertisement

If she was shocked she must be a bit closeted. I wonder what she would think walking down the street in Manila.

She is from Hamburg - its a pretty big place.

Manila is a tad different from a city in a European country.. Why would she be shocked by things in Manila? - she would expect things to be different. She didnt expect it here. She is well travelled - working for an international company, highly educated and open minded.

Why cant you just accept that someone (and she apparently isn't the only one) found her Limerick experience to be tainted by the "scum" referred to in the OP. Its ok to say that things are not great in your own city, i am ok with saying it. It makes me sad, but thats the way it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement