Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of the scumbags in this city ** Mod Warning in Op **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Roquentin wrote: »
    need tougher jail sentences as well. some criminals need 80+ priors before they are locked up.

it should be three strikes and a mandatory 7 year prison sentence.

i will kind of defend teenagers a bit. when i was young we would get up to mischief. nothing like throwing bricks through windows. but mischief. luckily it wasnt too bad and we had play stations and sports to keep us entertained.

they badly need to get the kids off the streets, playing football or whatever. something that would distract them.

There wasn't much for me to do growing up except join clubs but I was never involved in gangs or caused trouble.

I would be out and about but I knew right from wrong and never brought trouble to my parents door like these people do.

I just think its an excuse when they say there is nothing to do in their area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I haven't read all 13 pages of this,. but just the first page and would like to point out that they have been throwing rocks at cars on childers road since the 90s at least. the area from the our lady of lourdes church to the railway line is high enough risk.

Was in Limerick for paddys day and couldnt get over the size of some of the groups of gougers hanging around some of the corners in Ballinacurra Weston. much bigger groups of layabouts than I remember growing up there. and this was on the 18th when most decent people were either working or looking for work.

I don't think I have spent a brown penny in the city centre since moving to cork in 2013. almost always went to the Crescent when visiting family in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    There wasn't much for me to do growing up except join clubs but I was never involved in gangs or caused trouble.

I would be out and about but I knew right from wrong and never brought trouble to my parents door like these people do.

I just think its an excuse when they say there is nothing to do in their area.

I disagree. Growing up I got in a lot of trouble it was impossible not to. There was properly nothing to do. I ended up staying inside most of the time while the others went robbing and doing other crap. Very few people had my self control. Peopld by far underestimate how easy it is to turn into a delinquent.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I disagree. Growing up I got in a lot of trouble it was impossible not to. There was properly nothing to do. I ended up staying inside most of the time while the others went robbing and doing other crap. Very few people had my self control. Peopld by far underestimate how easy it is to turn into a delinquent.

Sorry but don't try and justify been a scumbag because there was nothing to do..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

It would seriously help Ireland as a whole if there were random checks to see if people deserve social welfare/any other benefit they can get their hands on.
    Because the fact is so much of that money is wasted on scum, they cost everyone else money not just on their 'basic' (or so it's called) needs and also by the damage they cause to the area, the people and their property.

I'm from Galway but I know many people who have gone to UL etc and a friend of mine was waiting at a bus stop (not sure of the name but less than 10 minutes from UL) an a 'trackie' walked past, stopped walked back took out a knife and told him to hand over the laptop and walked off..

• Advertisement

Everyone's experience is different growing up. Decent people made mistakes and changed for the better but the scum of today have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

One of the things that has always struck me about Limerick is that there are three third level institutes as well as other further education facilities, and yet the city has very little vibrancy or energy.

Sorry but don't try and justify been a scumbag because there was nothing to do..!!!

Fine, I'll give you a situation.

I knew this fella who turned out as a complete druggie and ended up dying of a heart attack.

When young he always had minor anger issues, but he was a decent fella. His parents split at the age of 13 and slept with half of the country (male and female). People made up all these rumors about this. He just blew it off, but by the age of 15 had started drinking and smoking. He would bully the weaker people when he had a bad day, but apologise the next day.

Then at 16, his brother who had gotten amazing results in his leaving cert and got a scholarship to collage died in a car crash. He went straight to the drugs and off with the "bad gang". At 19 he was staying at his friends house when he took way too much ecstasy and passed away.

That's a hard life? No? Remember he came from a good family!

Another case.

Another fella I knew, he had loads of cusions and family members involved in the local criminality. He was detirmed not to be like his family and did well in school. He got good grades in his leaving cert. He got drunk that evening celebrating and got in a massive fight unprovoked by him. Got his head smashed in and got arrested with a small suspended sentence. (He gave the other fella a shoulder and collar bone). His ambitions to go to America were smashed. He was denied a VISA. He's now a recovering alcoholic.

There's a lot more to how people turn out. Sadly the politicians and even social workers don't fully understand the issues. There needs to be a comprehensive review and revamp of the welfare, law and education system to stop the anti social behaviour.

Its funny, I know two families (decent enough) who grew up in Moyross in council houses, parents all worked, both families bought holiday houses in kerry, instead of moving into private housing...
    Why were they in council houses while fully employed? Someone needs to watch this type of situation too...milking the system

Fine, I'll give you a situation.

I knew this fella who turned out as a complete druggie and ended up dying of a heart attack.

When young he always had minor anger issues, but he was a decent fella. His parents split at the age of 13 and slept with half of the country (male and female). People made up all these rumors about this. He just blew it off, but by the age of 15 had started drinking and smoking. He would bully the weaker people when he had a bad day, but apologise the next day.

Then at 16, his brother who had gotten amazing results in his leaving cert and got a scholarship to collage died in a car crash. He went straight to the drugs and off with the "bad gang". At 19 he was staying at his friends house when he took way too much ecstasy and passed away.

That's a hard life? No? Remember he came from a good family!

Another case.

Another fella I knew, he had loads of cusions and family members involved in the local criminality. He was detirmed not to be like his family and did well in school. He got good grades in his leaving cert. He got drunk that evening celebrating and got in a massive fight unprovoked by him. Got his head smashed in and got arrested with a small suspended sentence. (He gave the other fella a shoulder and collar bone). His ambitions to go to America were smashed. He was denied a VISA. He's now a recovering alcoholic.

There's a lot more to how people turn out. Sadly the politicians and even social workers don't fully understand the issues. There needs to be a comprehensive review and revamp of the welfare, law and education system to stop the anti social behaviour.

Tragic...but clearly parents to blame in both cases.
    "The apple never falls far from the tree"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    I see that myself and they often hang outside a house near me where a woman with health problems lives and she is terrified to come out of her house to confront them.

All these people are from Moyross I am told.

Plus when I was growing up my family were the target of these kind of people.

The parents need to be held accountable if the children are under 18.

You know as well as I do that plenty of young people from Thomondgate, some only living yards from that house, hang around in groups causing trouble. Yes others are from Moyross but plenty of the troublemakers are Thomondgate born and bred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Roquentin wrote: »
    should be more police. the cycle is endless. you lock up one group and then the next generation comes along etc.

more police and more soccer pitches and more playstations.

One of the great excuses trotted out is that these kids are deprived and have nothing to do.

It's a myth, at least in part. The deprivation is education and parental related. It is not in relation to material goods or the availability of things like soccer pitches.

Some of the biggest thugs and troublemakers in Thomondgate for example had everything handed to them on a plate by their parents. Every gaming device you could name. Christmas around there is an eye opener - the amount of motorbikes and quads being driven around on Christmas Day as they played with their new presents. No shortage of material things to enjoy thats for sure.

What is lacking in their lives is guidance and attention. So they go out and seek attention in any form they can get. The easiest is by antagonising people. They get pleasure out of the reaction, even if it is a negative one. It is more attention than they ever get from their parents, even if it is negative.

Many of them also have no fathers and no father figures in their lives.

Sports clubs may help some but you can't force these kids to play sports.

I dont blame parents all the time. Good kids can get into the wrong crowd and end up going off the rails.

Plus not all kids with divorced parents turn bad, Its do with either the parents or the fact that the kids just cant cope with a family being broken up.

Have nothing to do is not an excuse for being a scumbag. I dont think teens today dont want to join the like of the brownies or scouts.

They can join a tennis club, play football, rugby or play music and join a marching band. There is alot to do if they actually think about it.

Its a shame that alot of these kids dont do go to school. There is a record of who is at school and if a parent does not send their child to school after receiving a written warning they should be prosecuted and fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

There should be no excuses made for behavior like this and my sympathy is for the owner of the car. There's many a time I leave very personal belongings like my laptop, photos etc (which I will now not stop) in the car or the booth and I can only imagine how devastated I'd be if they were gone forever by a burnt out car.

I can't understand how they're 'disadvantaged'..they have free houses (that they wreck), smart phones, internet access to upload joyriding videos, green areas to play sport, short distances from gyms, swimming pools, colleges, etc. It's the attitude that's the problem.

Those areas look disadvantaged as a result of what they have done to them. There would be no difference between those houses (if they were maintained) which they got for nothing and houses in other areas of the city where people are working hard to pay the mortgage.
    If they were up every morning working 9-5 and and paying a mortgage would they be as quick to burn their houses..I think not..easy to do it when you get it for nothing.

This excuse of having nothing to do wrecks my head. Could they not be out kicking a ball, going to the gym, involved in sport, looking for a job,applying for a course, cutting the lawn etc. They have more than enough to do by starting off with showing respect for tax payers by cleaning and maintaining houses areas they have been given for nothing.

Whether there are nice people living in those areas, some of these places look shocking. They should really be ashamed to let their community go to a state that resembles nothing more than squalor of a third world country. Not only that but they have destroyed the reputation of Limerick city. Dublin and Cork have their problem areas but parts of Lim look much worse than anywhere I've seen compared to those cities (Google street view will verify this).

If you ask me there's too much excuses made for them with freebies and benefits given with nothing in return or effort made. To throw it back in tax payers faces by causing anti-social behavior, damaging/stealing their cars, making life generally more difficult for the average tax payer is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. Nobody, 'disadvantaged' or not has the licence to disrespect anyone else or feel entitled to anti-social behavior to feed their corrupt minds.
    Children are born and exposed to this vicious circle by having parents who see nothing wrong and feel very much entitled to live their whole lives sponging off the state..never to learn a basic concept of life of working hard and having goals to achieve things you need and want in life. It's unhealthy for the mind not to have this mindset. This vicious cycle needs to be broken; how to go about doing it I'm unsure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

There should be no excuses made for behavior like this and my sympathy is for the owner of the car. There's many a time I leave very personal belongings like my laptop, photos etc (which I will now not stop) in the car or the booth and I can only imagine how devastated I'd be if they were gone forever by a burnt out car.

I can't understand how they're 'disadvantaged'..they have free houses (that they wreck), smart phones, internet access to upload joyriding videos, green areas to play sport, short distances from gyms, swimming pools, colleges, etc. It's the attitude that's the problem.

Those areas look disadvantaged as a result of what they have done to them. There would be no difference between those houses (if they were maintained) which they got for nothing and houses in other areas of the city where people are working hard to pay the mortgage.
    If they were up every morning working 9-5 and and paying a mortgage would they be as quick to burn their houses..I think not..easy to do it when you get it for nothing.

This excuse of having nothing to do wrecks my head. Could they not be out kicking a ball, going to the gym, involved in sport, looking for a job,applying for a course, cutting the lawn etc. They have more than enough to do by starting off with showing respect for tax payers by cleaning and maintaining houses areas they have been given for nothing.

Whether there are nice people living in those areas, some of these places look shocking. They should really be ashamed to let their community go to a state that resembles nothing more than squalor of a third world country. Not only that but they have destroyed the reputation of Limerick city. Dublin and Cork have their problem areas but parts of Lim look much worse than anywhere I've seen compared to those cities (Google street view will verify this).

If you ask me there's too much excuses made for them with freebies and benefits given with nothing in return or effort made. To throw it back in tax payers faces by causing anti-social behavior, damaging/stealing their cars, making life generally more difficult for the average tax payer is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. Nobody, 'disadvantaged' or not has the licence to disrespect anyone else or feel entitled to anti-social behavior to feed their corrupt minds.
    Children are born and exposed to this vicious circle by having parents who see nothing wrong and feel very much entitled to live their whole lives sponging off the state..never to learn a basic concept of life of working hard and having goals to achieve things you need and want in life. It's unhealthy for the mind not to have this mindset. This vicious cycle needs to be broken; how to go about doing it I'm unsure.

I agree 100% with all of this. The people this thread is about are not disadvantaged. They choose to live the way they do despite getting so much "help" from the state and so many opportunities such as courses/medical cards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

saw a traveller in the local post office requesting his childrens allowances in 100 euro notes as 50's are too bulky ??....somes up the state we have ! punish the law abiding & reward the parasites!

No person or group of persons should ever get money if they refuse training or jobs...
    My uncle used to train people from low class backgrounds, they had a scam going on this too, to avoid getting a qualification at the end of the course, they would go to 4 out of 5 required days, ring in sick, their dole could not be cut because they were out sick..... but if they failed the course or refused a job, their dole would be cut.
    They would be put back on the waiting list for the course for another few months, Uncle seen the same fellas 5 or 6 times over the years, always the same scam.

The DSP need to target the wasters. I am sick of the people who worked hard being treated they way they are by the govt.

If the teens who cause trouble leave school early they should get nothing at all from DSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Of course, you wouldn't be allowed say this on radio or tv. You should be. whether it's right or wrong, you should be allowed debate this.
    Niall Boylan would debate it on the radio alright, but there are too many nutjobs on his show for it to be taken really seriously.
    You should send it on as an email to his show or some other show. At least it might get the ball rolling.
    No way your local politician would bring it up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

seachto7 wrote: »
    Of course, you wouldn't be allowed say this on radio or tv. You should be. whether it's right or wrong, you should be allowed debate this.
    Niall Boylan would debate it on the radio alright, but there are too many nutjobs on his show for it to be taken really seriously.
    You should send it on as an email to his show or some other show. At least it might get the ball rolling.
    No way your local politician would bring it up though.
    If you don't have to pay for something you don't respect it. My mother's neighbour rented out the house to the HSE. The girl that moved in went to the shop with an unguarded fire lit. When she got back the house was in flames and the girl failed to even inform the landlord.

Funny thing is the fire brigade warned that certain folks would be in to steal the copper pipes if the house wasn't secured and that the water should be turned off to prevent flooding. Sure enough the copper was robbed from the gutted house. How they knew so quickly I don't understand.

• Advertisement

Shur if there are no consequences, why would you give a f*ck about property or anything else. Not tarring all with the same brush, but some people get free houses in Limerick, then proceed to wreck them, or burn them out, and they'll get another one. Drive up Hyde Road, and you'll see the respect some of the residents have for their free houses. Scum.
    Army conscription would be the right job for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

this country is a dream for criminals ... Out in the county its a joke ... fine Gael seemed to have closed all bar one Garda station in west Limerick ncw ... People don't even know where to ring for a Garda ... Chances of been caught robbing are close to nil .. And the people been robbed pay taxes and no police force ? ... Their taxs then go to pay the social welfare of those robbing their house ? ... Is it any wonder none of the scum emigrate .. Ireland is heaven for them !

The social welfare system is completely backwards anyway.

€188 a week + Medical Card + Child benefit +Free book rental scheme for children in school + Very cheap rent in your house + Rent Allowance + Fuel allowance + Free legal aid.

Seriously? How could any sane person go homeless in this country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Shur if there are no consequences, why would you give a f*ck about property or anything else. Not tarring all with the same brush, but some people get free houses in Limerick, then proceed to wreck them, or burn them out, and they'll get another one. Drive up Hyde Road, and you'll see the respect some of the residents have for their free houses. Scum.
    Army conscription would be the right job for them.

that is actually a good idea. it would instill a bit of training and order into them

I think some form of military or civic service should be mandatory in Ireland for all.
    Put the scum working on the roads or breaking rocks if they step out of line.
    The bleeding heart brigade and the "you're infringing their rights" brigade would threaten legal action if this was proposed on a public stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The bleeding heart brigade and the "you're infringing their rights" brigade would threaten legal action if this was proposed on a public stage.

When, in actual fact, their ( and their children's) choices and prospects in life are much more infringed and curtailed if generation after generation is left to wallow in this weird "work is optional for able bodied people, the best way to get more money is if you come back to me next week with more problems rather than less" parallel universe.

Slightly off topic but it seems these days everyone has to go to college, no matter how wishy washy the course is. Rubbish IMHO, we need more practical apprenticeships. Seems a bit dodgy to suggest we follow a german system after the undertones of some of the comments here - but they have 342 (according to wikipedia) recognised trades where the majority of the learning is on the job apprenticeship. Not a silver bullet by any means but a more realistic approach to the spectrum of skills and abilities in society rather than ramming the "knowledge economy or nothing" down peoples throats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Christ you obviously have never been to The Glen or Faranree, Mayfield, Togher,Mahon, I could go on.
    Some areas of Cork look horrific and are just as bad as parts of Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

If Limerick could successfully market itself, it had a nice advantage over the southern region, direct Transatlantic flights, up to 6 a day in the summer and they bring Americans in, and Americans spend a hell of alot more than Europeans. Good advantage there.
    I often think Limerick suffers from being too close to both Cork and Galway, in the same way Ghent suffers from being so close to Bruges.
    Bruges is the more vibrant touristy City but somehow feels artificial and twee whilst Ghent is gritty, industrial but interesting and has the feel of a big city.
    I often think Galway is a bit false , a lot of Galway acquaintances of mine love Limerick because it feels real as opposed to pissing beside some bloke in Dreadlocks wearing open toe sandals I the Middle of winter which seems to be ubiquitous in Galway along with mime artists and fire eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Christ you obviously have never been to The Glen or Faranree, Mayfield, Togher,Mahon, I could go on.
    Some areas of Cork look horrific and are just as bad as parts of Limerick.

I don't think you've ever seen Clarina Park in Ballinacurra Weston.Go on Google maps and use street view and you'll be shocked. It looks like Syria and it shows exactly the respect they have for where tax payers money goes, or lack of. The areas you've mentioned above are just regular council estates, the worst you'll see is a boarded up house, just look at Clarina Park on Google street maps in Limerick,there's a bit of a difference. There's nowhere you'll find as bad, I've never seen anything like it except for a war torn country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There are tax payers in Clarina Park. Good tax payers. Very likely in fact that the full amount of their spending is quite highly taxed in comparison to the spending profile of tax payer elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement