Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 3-4-3 the best formation with the right players?

• 17-03-2015 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I think it is but you really have to have the right players, you need

• 3 ball playing defenders that can bring the ball into midfield and contribute in midfield
    • Very attacking wingbacks that can also defend
    • 2 all round central midfielders that can create and tackle
    • 3 forward players that are very fast, more like wingers/number 10s but score a lot of goals

With that in mind I think this team would be very hard to beat

De Gea

Hummels
    Thiago
    Luis

Lahm
    Vidal
    Schweinstegger
    Marcello-

A.Sanchez
    Suarez
    Robben

I cant see 3-4-3 not working here, the flaw with the formation is that you need very specific players to play it, which is the very reason united were crap playing it, they were trying it with centre halfs that were crap on the ball, with wing backs that were more wingers but also crap wingers and with slow forwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

Putting Neuer into goals would be a no brainer there, with that formation the keeper gets the ball to feet alot.

Get Rodgers at the helm and that team 'd be mighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only good formation is a winning formation and that can be anything you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

patsat wrote: »
    Putting Neuer into goals would be a no brainer there, with that formation the keeper gets the ball to feet alot.

De Gea is better than Neuer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

No Ronaldo and David Luiz/Felipe Luis being in is a loser for me. Put Real Madrid against that team and it would beat it fairly handy, being honest put a high pressing decent team against it and it would struggle.

Formations are subjective and as such I think 4-2-3-1 is the best formation with the right players as is 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

• Advertisement

De Gea is better than Neuer

In your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

duffman13 wrote: »
    In your completely incorrect opinion

Now, there we have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sanchez over Messi, Robben over Ronaldo?? Pffff. Marcelo???

Another vote for 4-2-3-1 here. It was very en vogue 10 years ago - even Ferguson dabbled with it before eventually reverting to his tried-and-trusted 4-4-2. With the right players and right attitude, it's very effective.

No Ronaldo and David Luiz/Felipe Luis being in is a loser for me. Put Real Madrid against that team and it would beat it fairly handy, being honest put a high pressing decent team against it and it would struggle.

Formations are subjective and as such I think 4-2-3-1 is the best formation with the right players as is 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

In your opinion

4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 , yes definitely open for debate to be better but 4-4-2 with 2 out and out central strikers is dead , no top team plays that way anymore with 2 out and out strikers

• Advertisement

In your opinion

Yes in my opinion if you play the right players in a system that optimises their talent, then yes, that is the best formation in my opinion.

CSF wrote: »
    Now, there we have it

I hope you know that an opinion can't be incorrect, I might actually be wrong but I am still entitled to an opinion so in essence it cant be incorrect

Too complicated for you ok , lets start off with something easier

1+1=?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

With the right players any formation is the right one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

De Gea has proved this season how good a shot stopper he is but I imagine a 3-4-3 formation would benefit more from a sweeper keeper and Neuer is definitely the best in that regard.

I hope you know that an opinion can't be incorrect, I might actually be wrong but I am still entitled to an opinion so in essence it cant be incorrect

Too complicated for you ok , lets start off with something easier

1+1=?

Opinions can be incorrect. Where did you get the crazy notion that they can't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

With the right players any formation is the right one.

And with the right Manager

4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 , yes definitely open for debate to be better but 4-4-2 with 2 out and out central strikers is dead , no top team plays that way anymore with 2 out and out strikers

You could argue the way we look at formations has changed full circle in the last 10 years. Fergies old 4-4-2, at times, could be classed as a 4-2-3-1 if being played today. It might be 5 or 10 years before we see two out and out strikers ala Yorke and Cole or Sutton and Shearer but no doubt it will come back in vogue at some point.

LvG used 3-4-3 buts it was in his eyes a 3-1-2-1-3. I think when we speak about formations going forward we will break it down to the finest detail in order to be specific. 4-2-3-1 is just a variation of 4-3-3 and I honestly believe that there is no best formation for any team. Transitioning has become so important now that formations change every time the possession changes.

In successful 3-4-3 formations one of the CM usually always drops into play as a defender turning it into an a back 4 when defending, formations cant be rigid anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Eamon Dunphy, is that you?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It all depends on the players at your disposal as to which system is better.

Xavi made tika taka unbeatable with something like a 4-2-1-2-1 formation for Spain and with Barca in a 4-1-2-3 formation.

Germany won the last World Cup with a 4-2-3-1 formation, and Bayern won the Champion's league with the same formation two years ago. Real Madrid won it last year with a 4-3-3 formation.

Personally I'd take that Barca team with Xavi in his prime and tika taka to beat any team of superstars with any other system. I understand they will get beat from time to time but over the course of many games they win more than any other team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Opinions based on factual errors can be wrong due to the fact.

• Advertisement

Also when is the last team that won something significant playing 3-4-3. Ajax under LvG winning the Champions League? If it is the optimum formation why is nobody making it a long term goal to move toward this formation. You can argue Liverpool and United this season but other than that I cant think of anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Also when is the last team that won something significant playing 3-4-3. Ajax under LvG winning the Champions League? If it is the optimum formation why is nobody making it a long term goal to move toward this formation. You can argue Liverpool and United this season but other than that I cant think of anyone else.

Barca around 2011 and 2012 I think played a fairly similar system to a 343 setup. I know it was always listed as 433 but wasn't it something like this, at least when they were in possession.

Valdes

----Puyol
    Busquets
    Pique

Alves
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Alba/Abidal

---Pedro
    Messi
    Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well to be fair he does think 1+1= ?

... Sure a question mark isn't even a number :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

City??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Barca around 2011 and 2012 I think played a fairly similar system to a 343 setup. I know it was always listed as 433 but wasn't it something like this, at least when they were in possession.

Valdes

----Puyol
    Busquets
    Pique

Alves
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Alba/Abidal

---Pedro
    Messi
    Villa
    They never played like that.

When they were in total control of a game they would play 2-3-2-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

eagle eye wrote: »
    They never played like that.

When they were in total control of a game they would play 2-3-2-3.

So?
    _________Valdes

___Puyol_________Pique

Alves____Busquets__Alba/Abidal

_______Xavi______Iniesta

Pedro_____Messi______Villa

I don't know I'd say the full backs are further up than that. Moving Alves and alba up beside xavi and iniesta probably is the closest representation of their formation. Which looks 343

City??

City aren't a top team

City aren't a top team

Ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im willing to bet 95% of your posts include a formation or combined XI.

Also that team is cack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

City aren't a top team

They're pretty much a top team in England and league champions but yeah your right I suppose:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

3-4-3 is so 2 months ago.

3-1-2-1-3 is where its at now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

City aren't a top team

This thread is hard going.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is there nothing to be said for the 2-2-1-2-1-2 formation?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I just can't believe somebody managed to pick their dream team and has put in David luiz and Marcelo while leaving out messi, Ronaldo and neymar........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

tastyt wrote: »
    I just can't believe somebody managed to pick their dream team and has put in David luiz and Marcelo while leaving out messi, Ronaldo and neymar........

Personally think no team should be without Busquets & Alaba. The front 3 are usually a given!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Barcelona in their final season with Pep played a 3-4-3 variation. Problem was defensively that left them unbalanced. So they defended with a 4-4-2 variant. Even this proved very problematic as there'd be too much space on the wings to exploit for a counter attack. Getting the shape back too much time. So Pep changed the defensive block to 4-5-1. Still took too long to transition but it did make them more solid defensively. It absolutely killed their ability to counter-attack swiftly. He kept tinkering with the formation pretty much right until he left.
    Another problem was that the pressing game he required was no longer as effective. Not only was his player's application less than it used to be, opposing teams were aware of their 'style' and happy to concede possession to deny space in the final third. The transitioning from one formation in attack to one in defence required more work and more application of a cover based system. Which is both mentally and physically draining. As a result, they dropped off teams more and pressed less. Becoming less dynamic with possession and using it more and more as a defensive shield -making them for want of a better term more boring to watch.

So, 3-4-3 might be the best formation with the right players in Barcelona's case it shot themselves in the foot. That's side weakness was always counter attacks and a high line defence. When they transitioned to 3-4-3 those problems were exacerbated significantly. Even teams at the bottom of La Liga were puncturing through them.

I can't think of a team that employed the 3-4-3 formation in last decade that was defensively solid. I don't think the formation allows it for it. Might be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Combined world XI with no Kroos disgusts me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Huge credit to OP for managing to stick dream team, formation debate ... AND DDG is the world's best goalie debates all in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there nothing to be said for the 2-2-1-2-1-2 formation?

Yep

Skrtel--Sakho
    Can
    Moreno
    Lucas--
    Hendo---Allen
    Coutinho
    Sturridge----Sterling

No that is not my world 11 , I was just trying to give examples that would best suit that formation, my world 11 would be as follows

De Gea

Lahm
    Godin
    Thiago
    Alaba

Kroos
    Pogba

Robben
    Messi
    Bale

Ronaldo

There'd be no Beating that side :-)

• Advertisement

So a 4-2-3-1 with right players that wouldn't be beaten?

So a 4-2-3-1 with right players that wouldn't be beaten?

perhaps 1 loss out of 15-20 games, its 11 v 11 after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In the 2 years since Pep has gone to Bayern Lahm has featured maybe half a dozen times at FB, that surely rules him out of being the best RB?

That and any world 11 without Neuer in it is incorrect by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And that team is sorely lacking at DM.

As in, there's no DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can't take a XI serious without Neuer. Also Pogba? He wouldn't even make my 2nd best XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The only good formation is a winning formation and that can be anything you like.

This. If you have the right players, a 10-1 formation can be the best. If you have the right players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I know it's still up for dispute on what formation they played since it was never really static, but Pep's Barca team at its peak are the only side I've seen that on their day would be unbeatable no matter who played them. Could get a world XI from all the other teams and they'd still lose and have under 40% possession. Xavi was just too good and Messi is Messi.

Better than any of fergies united's sides imo

[/canofworms]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I know it's still up for dispute on what formation they played since it was never really static, but Pep's Barca team at its peak are the only side I've seen that on their day would be unbeatable no matter who played them. Could get a world XI from all the other teams and they'd still lose and have under 40% possession. Xavi was just too good and Messi is Messi.

Better than any of fergies united's sides imo

[/canofworms]

Hardly that controversial of a statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What were Napoli like defensively with 343?

• Advertisement
Advertisement