Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy dying after 1st Vaccination ??

• 17-03-2015 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Today I had to say goodbye to my 12 wk old little JRT.

She had her first vacc 10 days ago but became unwell last Wednesday, I thought she had nibbled too much on a chew toy and that made her sick.

She was sick for a few hours and then perked back up, eating, running around being her normal self and then the following morning she was sick again with diarrehea so I took her to the vets and they started to treat her on Friday Night.

Today I got the call I had been dreading, she wasn't any better, worse infact. I went to see her and could see how exhausted and in pain she was. I decided to let her go to sleep. It wasn't fair seeing her suffer any further :-(

My beautiful little one fell asleep one final time cuddled up in my arms.

I'm heartbroken and just trying to figure out what went wrong, the vet said it was firstly possible chew toy, then possible Parvo then possible reaction to vaccination.

Has anyone lost a puppy due to reaction to vaccination???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I've seen an adult dog almost die from a vaccination, however it was an immediate reaction.

Where did you get your puppy & was she brought anywhere where she was exposed to Parvo? e.g. let on the ground outside or anywhere other dogs have been?

Terrible thing to have happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

I feel sorry for your dog.

Losing a pet really hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Ulnar

Knine wrote: »
    I've seen an adult dog almost die from a vaccination, however it was an immediate reaction.

Where did you get your puppy & was she brought anywhere where she was exposed to Parvo? e.g. let on the ground outside or anywhere other dogs have been?

Terrible thing to have happened to you.

We had her nearly a month and she's never been outside the house only for her 1st vaccination. She came from a good home and she was in superb condition. When they gave her the vaccination she literally started sobbing.

Was she in the back garden where foxes could have been?

Was she in the back garden where foxes could have been?

No, we kept her inside 24/7. We wanted to make sure she was vaccinated fully first :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Had this happen to a cat a few years ago. Sorry for your loss op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Classic Parvo symptoms. If you are sure she couldn't have gotten it while with you then it must have happened before. That's a concerning possibility because it means other pups in the litter could potentially be affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I don't have any advice but I want to say how sorry I am for your loss, it's horrible to go through as an owner no matter how old our pets are but you did the right thing for your little puppy xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I'm very sorry to hear about your puppy, I absolutely know how you're feeling, most of us here do. She was a beautiful little mite and she was lucky to have had you, there wasn't anything more you could have done for her. I'm really terribly sorry. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wheaten

So sorry to hear about your loss. It could have been the vaccination as I have a dog who had a reaction to her first vaccination and was in intensive care for 3 days. She reacted to the injection 48 hours after it was given. She can never have vaccinations now as my vet feel she is highly allergic to it.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Classic Parvo symptoms. If you are sure she couldn't have gotten it while with you then it must have happened before. That's a concerning possibility because it means other pups in the litter could potentially be affected.

My husband went up to visit his family and came across ppl moving out of a house, decided to give them a hand and they offered him a puppy as they weren't able to find a home for her

Himself and few other neighbours took the remaining puppies. From what we know the other two are fine, no parvo thankfully

wheaten wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about your loss. It could have been the vaccination as I have a dog who had a reaction to her first vaccination and was in intensive care for 3 days. She reacted to the injection 48 hours after it was given. She can never have vaccinations now as my vet feel she is highly allergic to it.

Poor thing. I think deep down it was definitely a reaction to the vaccination as she was in alot of discomfort after it. For 4 days the vets said it wasn't parvo because she had zero symptoms. I don't think it was parvo, just feel the vet was unable to explain what went wrong

How long did you have the puppy? The incubation period for parvo can be about 14 days.

I've had a puppy that had a reaction to a vaccine. The puppy reacted almost immediately. Its face all swelled up.

Normally puppies have a first vaccine much earlier then your puppy. She would have been at risk of parvo.

Terrible sorry for your loss.

How long did you have the puppy? The incubation period for parvo can be about 14 days.

I've had a puppy that had a reaction to a vaccine. The puppy reacted almost immediately. Its face all swelled up.

Normally puppies have a first vaccine much earlier then your puppy. She would have been at risk of parvo.

Terrible sorry for your loss.

She was with us for about 3+ weeks.

Sadly she just wasn't meant to be with us :-(

Parvo is such a horrible disease.

We've made a donation to our local dog rescue centre in her memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

@ Ulnar, Oh What a little cutie she was, such a shame :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Another thing to know is that when a pup gets Parvo there's almost nothing you can do so don't convince yourself that you could have helped.really is a horrible and deadly disease which is almost always fatal

Advertisement