Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone Insurances, Applecare+,etc

• 17-03-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some info on Iphone insurance companies in Ireland vs Apple care+.

Im generally not into buying insurances, but seeing that I dropped my 6 a few times now and they are not one bit cheap I'm looking for alternatives.

Apple care + costs 100€ for 2 year cover plus an excess of 69€ with two accidental iPhone replacements.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Xpro wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some info on Iphone insurance companies in Ireland vs Apple care+.

Im generally not into buying insurances, but seeing that I dropped my 6 a few times now and they are not one bit cheap I'm looking for alternatives.

Apple care + costs 100€ for 2 year cover plus an excess of 69€ with two accidental iPhone replacements.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

It's been asked quite a few times before, without many replies. Do a search on "insurance" to find any suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

whiterebel wrote: »
    It's been asked quite a few times before, without many replies. Do a search on "insurance" to find any suggestions.

Thanks. I saw that. all old stuff a no replies. People mustn't bother with insurance I take it.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I always thought insuarance was a farce and very difficult to make a successful claim. I've taken it with vodafone now though cos only a few months ago my sister broke the screen on her 5c and they had a replacement out to her in just over a day. It costs €11,99 per month for iPhone 6.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All gadgets covered on my home insurance. Inside and outside the home. That includes iphone, ipad, laptop, camera etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I researched it when the 6 came out and everything told me not to bother with the gadget insurance stuff. Too much hassle when it comes to claims. Went for AppleCare just in case the phone accidentally drops in a bucket of water just before the 2 years are up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most people seem to forget you can do this!

If you don't have home insurance, your parents probably do ;)

I used to say this as well however you have to keep in mind that home insurance usually has a large excess and any claim will likely result in an increased renewal premium. Often you're better off not claiming.
    Apple care is ok but it doesn't cover loss/theft. I would go for the likes of gadget insurance especially if you have more than one gadget to insure. Beware that refurbs (even if provided by apple in exchange for a newly bought device) and 2nd hand purchases are often excluded from cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

AppleCare + is excellent value and apparently easy and straight forward to claim (I haven't had to yet). If it covered loss and theft it would be perfect.
    Other gadget policies sound great until you have to claim.

If you're going the house insurance route, confirm the excess and make sure it doesn't impact your NCB.

Also, as far as I'm aware, AppleCare+ can only be purchased within 8 weeks of purchasing the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Chill.ie always seemed to be the cheapest back a few years ago, not sure about now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Many irish home insurers explicitly state they wont cover phones. Curious which ones do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

I decided to go with apple care + in the end. Its for 2 years and it covers 2 accidental damages. That works out at 50€ a year and then an excess of 69€ per new phone replacement.

Seeing that new 6's are as a fragile as a champagne glass I think is well worth it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

For a modern day smart phone which has a replacement cost of €700 or so sim free, home insurance cover is not sufficient. A typical policy will have an excess of €350.00 so for a €700 phone you will only receive €350 and you will also end up paying a higher premium the following year as result of losing your no claims discount.

Advertisement