Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday Cake

Options
  • 17-03-2015 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone in making my daughter a cake and the tin I have is 15inches square tin and its fairly big.

The problem is I'm not sure of the ingredients I usually do smaller cakes, could anyone help me the amount of flour, sugar etc id have to use please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

That's absolutely huge! I'm baking a long time but I've never owned a tin that big.

Can you fill your regular tin with water to the normal level of cake and dump it into the 15" and see how many times you need to multiply your normal recipe that way.

Not that easy cook very large cakes well, greater risk of falling in middle and getting overcooked on outside edges, cooking core would be a good idea if you have anything you could use as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Thanks for that ill try it! I got it in lidl was only 4 euro couldn't pass :) I'm doing a frozen cake and bought scene from it made from icing so needed a big enough tin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could stick a large ramekin or a kilner jar or something heat-resistant in the middle of the cake tin, that would take up some of the room. You'd get a giant doughnut, but you can always fill the hole with smarties or something fun. :)

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Oh that's a fab idea I was going to make blue gelatin cubes like the ice I did do that in the middle. :) Thank you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In that case you could turn the middle into a frozen lake/pool! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

A fifteen inch cake tin is huge how many people do you plan on having at the party. I'd advise you do as above and place something in the middle to take up space which you can then fill and cover with icing.

Meant to ask, will you post a picture of the cake when it's done but yet to be eaten, please?

I will my attempt hope it works out hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Before you start making it just check the tin fits in your oven with enough room for the heat to circulate.

Best of luck with the cake!

It fits thank you :)

• Advertisement

Chickened out on the huge cake and did a 9inch instead I don't make cakes mostly cupcakes so this is my first attempt

Stunning... and yummy looking!! Well done! :)

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

Just to add, recipies dont always scale up exactly as they increase in size so beware the temptation to do a 5x your original recipe and then try to guess timings. A good google search gives lots of recipies and blogs for large cakes ( i cant post here as a new poster!)
    Best of luck with it!

Thank you for the advice :)

Advertisement