Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

Johngoose wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel that everything in modern Ireland is about competition.Who can:
    1.Run more miles
    2. Cycle more miles.
    3.Have the better car/holiday.
    4. Be more knowledgeable.
    5. Have the better house.
    6. Have the best looking husband/wife.
    7. Brighter kids.
    8. Better job.
    9. Bigger crowd at their funeral.

I think a lot of that applies to other countries also. But the bigger crowd at your funeral is certainly uniquely Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

When you're quite clearly in the bathroom (light switch is on or tap is running while you wash your hands or brush your teeth) and someone tries to open the door. Some people are so unobservant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Wrote a post ages ago in a fever of trivial annoyance and it didn't work, stupid internet.
    The fabulous moment when the bag of bottles in the boot keel over en route to the bottle bank. I'm then on my knees at the boot of the car, slowly edging the boot open, desperately trying to stop an avalanche of bottles and jars crashing on the ground.
    My 3yr old jumped in a little stream so violently that the water went up over her wellys, soaking her socks. This is within minutes of getting there. Cue her taking them off and having to be carried :(
    I put a whole stock cube into the dinner when it should have been half of one. Should have gone to Specsavers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Mother on the phone....nothing else to add apart from the fact that she insists on using Viber even though the connection breaks down every 20 seconds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Went for what was meant to be a leisurely/lazy cycle. The kind where your not interested in going fast, up hills, etc. I'm less relaxed than I was before I went-ha! Met the owner of the big black lab, put the lead on my dog and my dog got twisted up and somehow managed to snap the rear mudguard in half. It's an ancient bike but I'm still trivially annoyed. And I got two flies/midges in the same eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Great stuff, now all I have to do is to drive about 125 miles to get one.:(

Is that 125 round trip??
    better buy 2 so, :D
    (did ya google map where it was?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

When you take ages, think deeply, take your time and type a long winded reply to a topic then read it over and decide nah fcuk it and delete the whole thing! :/
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Having my phone battery at a nice healthy 80-90% before bed, but by morning it's drained overnight and down to 20 despite no activity. I can't keep it charged overnight for safety reasons and in the morning I never have enough time to get it charged back up to a decent level before I've to head out. And it drains quicker than it charges.
    Safety reasons? Just plug it in before you go to bed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

seen a cement mixer lorry today driving up a 3 ton limit road today, and back down it all the cars hopped up on the footpath both times, then for good measure he went back up it, (totally lost I presume) then in and out of 2 estates, every where he went and corner he turned a slosh of cement came our of it, nice when ya meet it braking on a corner, the pr1k.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

TA that I am awake so early. Supposed to be having a lie in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Menas wrote: »
    Me too:(
    Why cant I feel like this on a work morn...

Colser wrote: »
    Me too:(
    Why cant I feel like this on a work morn...

:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Menas wrote: »

SNAP!
    I was told last night that I'll be having a lie in, the joy the excitement.........being woken up at 8:11 by the kids going bananas in my bedroom.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    SNAP!
    I was told last night that I'll be having a lie in, the joy the excitement.........being woken up at 8:11 by the kids going bananas in my bedroom.

In fairness my wee fella did not wake me up. It was my brain. Excited about weekend stuff.
    Still though!

(Edit: Wee Fella is not a euphemism).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Golf commentators who insist on calling The British Open... The Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When people post up "RIP" on Facebook or here on boards, I don't understand why use the three letter abbreviation?
    Would it not be more respectful for the deceased and their family to actually spell out "Rest in Peace "?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen these two guys in the same room?:)

jimgoose is in no way afilliated with, and does not necessarily endorse, johngoose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

When you go to make an offer on something that was uploaded on a site two days before. Noone has commented and the ad has very few views for some reason. Too good to be true you think- a ps4 and 42 inch tv for sale for €250!
    Get your hopes up, only to have them dashed. Seller doesn't reply to you for a couple of days and when he does it is to tell you that he sold the items already. BUT he has the number of a guy who is also selling the same bundle, same price- how lucky is that! Hope replenished. Ring up the guy saying- Hi, I got your number from another person, who says you have a tv and ps4 for sale. Slight pause, then he says- NOT AN EFFING CHANCE. And hangs up.

Actually its myself that I'm most trivially annoyed at. I just wasted a bunch of time on this, and now wasted more typing this TA....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

jimgoose wrote: »
    jimgoose is in no way afilliated with, and does not necessarily endorse, johngoose! :)

Jim, I hear you are a 'real' goose and John is a breakaway from your organisation. Some even say John represents a more extremist element of geese, so I can appreciate your efforts to dissociate yourself from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Jim, I hear you are a 'real' goose and John is a breakaway from your organisation. Some even say John represents a more extremist element of geese, so I can appreciate your efforts to dissociate yourself from them.

Don't be taken in by propaganda, John is actually a propagoose.

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Continuity Goose.

Aidric wrote: »
    Continuity Goose.

Wild Goose more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Is there a military wing (see what I did there ) of the "geese" ?

Can I join? I used to be a hitman for the Legion of Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dear God, what have I done to the thread?:eek::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

not sure if this is slightly more than trivially annoying but got the letter for college fees going up to 3 grand.. family make slightly too much to get financial aid and not enough that 3k is easy. I could get so many breakfast rolls for 3000.

something actually trivially annoying, a few years ago two brothers that I half know were given a good bit of money in an accident settlement. They bought two chicken rolls each, every day, for basically 3 months of the summer. About two grand just in chicken rolls.
    Not saying I'm annoyed that they did it, I'm annoyed that I didn't get to do it (:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

not sure if this is slightly more than trivially annoying but got the letter for college fees going up to 3 grand.. family make slightly too much to get financial aid and not enough that 3k is easy. I could get so many breakfast rolls for 3000.

something actually trivially annoying, a few years ago two brothers that I half know were given a good bit of money in an accident settlement. They bought two chicken rolls each, every day, for basically 3 months of the summer. About two grand just in chicken rolls.
    Not saying I'm annoyed that they did it, I'm annoyed that I didn't get to do it (:D)

Where were they paying €11 for a chicken roll?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where were they paying €11 for a chicken roll?
    3.50 for a chicken roll, 2 each per day, two brothers, ~30 days in a month, 3 months.

sorry for saying about two grand, would you prefer if I had said about 1300 euro? Didn't realise i'd have to get a calculator out to post here

sorry for saying about two grand

No problem.

Things that trivially annoy me: Quazzie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Saw a woman in her forties wearing one of those plastic chokers. I don't know why, but it really bothered me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Walking back from the off licence with a bag of cans and some fitness freak zipping by you on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Dear God, what have I done to the thread?:eek::)

Well obviously you've goosed it. Don't worry, we'll send you the bill - you can't duck it. :)

John G. is alright, he's Orthodox Hasidic Goose - ringleted feathers, constantly quoting the Old Goosetemant in the original Quackish, using only his beak for everything, including driving. Quaint but harmless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well obviously you've goosed it. Don't worry, we'll send you the bill - you can't duck it. :)

John G. is alright, he's Orthodox Hasidic Goose - ringleted feathers, constantly quoting the Old Goosetemant in the original Quackish, using only his beak for everything, including driving. Quaint but harmless. :)
    At last ladies we have the male version of the kebab..the beak:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

People who play the victim when you call them out for indulging in bitching, gossiping and spreading rumours.

TA that my own gluttony has left me feeling fat and guilty. A bad combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Thanks-whoring mods

Whore-thanking mods

Do you mean Thanks-whoring mods, or are there whores on Boards that the mods are thanking?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do you mean Thanks-whoring mods, or are there whores on Boards that the mods are thanking?

Very good :)

People dropping litter. It always shocks me when I see it. Saw a teenage boy the other day finish eating a bag of chips and just drop the paper as he strolled casually on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

When the belt loop of my jeans catches in door handles around the house.

Tell me this doesn't just happen to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

People who reverse into parking spaces when they could have quite easily driven straight into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

James McLean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JillyQ wrote: »
    People who reverse into parking spaces when they could have quite easily driven straight into them.

What's wrong with that?

I've worked in facilities in the UK where reverse parking is mandatory! The logic being you reverse park earlier in the day when your more alert, as opposed to at the end of a work day when you are more tired, and more likely to slip up while reversing, and possibly have an accident. Studies have proven this practice does indeed reduce carpark dings etc... So I myself will usually always reverse park if I can.

What's wrong with that?

I've worked in facilities in the UK where reverse parking is mandatory! The logic being you reverse park earlier in the day when your more alert, as opposed to at the end of a work day when you are more tired, and more likely to slip up while reversing, and possibly have an accident. Studies have proven this practice does indeed reduce carpark dings etc... So I myself will usually always reverse park if I can.

I think the point is it holds up traffic..maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think the point is it holds up traffic..maybe.

Of course, if someone is an idiot who can't reverse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Golf commentators who insist on calling The British Open... The Open.
    That's its official name. It's sometimes referred to as the British Open just to differentiate it from the others.

My trivial annoyance is the term 'emotional roller-coaster'. It's usually used on 'reality' shows like The X-Factor, Big Brother, and the like. Followed by "I've learnt a lot about myself'.

The thing is...I don't watch any of these programmes so I don't really know where or when I hear it, except for when clips might be shown on other less detestable programmes.

That's its official name. It's sometimes referred to as the British Open just to differentiate it from the others.

My trivial annoyance is the term 'emotional roller-coaster'. It's usually used on 'reality' shows like The X-Factor, Big Brother, and the like. Followed by "I've learnt a lot about myself'.

The thing is...I don't watch any of these programmes so I don't really know where or when I hear it, except for when clips might be shown on other less detestable programmes.

Pregnancy is also referred to as an emotional roller coaster.
    They even have a forum for pregnant women called rollercoaster.ie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I know the staff are paid to do it but I find it quite annoying and ignorant when people don't clean up their left overs from tables in places like McDonalds.
    The bin is literally 5 foot away from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I know the staff are paid to do it but I find it quite annoying and ignorant when people don't clean up their left overs from tables in places like McDonalds.

100% agreed. A little bit of courtesy goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The job market is tough enough without you undercutting them and doing their job for free.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement