Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Just saw someone say 'I'm in Marbs on holiday' on FB. Why does this annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Smidge wrote: »
    Soak in fairly hot water and then use a sterilised sewing needle to pick it out

I soak it in hot water, then get a nail clippers and clip the skin off until the splinter comes out. So basically you're left with a really sore bloody finger with a big hole in it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,216 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eternal wrote: »

Possibly because they're all wearing bikinis and, well...

Threw on a size 14 this morning and looked like a whale. I've become rotund.

TA: Women who refer to themselves as rotund at a size 14, unless you're like 3ft in height or something.

Otherwise, it just sounds... odd!

Possibly because they're all wearing bikinis and, well...

TA: Women who refer to themselves as rotund at a size 14, unless you're like 3ft in height or something.

Otherwise, it just sounds... odd!

Well I'm odd then. And rotund. The 14 doesn't fit?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I soak it in hot water, then get a nail clippers and clip the skin off until the splinter comes out. So basically you're left with a really sore bloody finger with a big hole in it :o

A nail clipper? !?!
    No wonder you have a sore finger.
    The trick with the sewing needle is to gently bore to the splinter :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I read that as "My house is empty, rob me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Use of the term Marbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The whole live updates of someones holiday on Facebook which includes a daily check in at the hotel/resort, daily photos of the swimming pool, and/or a beer, followed by the quotes "just chilling by the pool"

1. I don't care where you are or what you are doing.
    2. Your hotel/resort actually looks quite shítty
    3. You must really be 'chilling out' if you can't leave your phone down for 5 minutes, and feel the need to constantly update the world on how relaxed you are.
    4. I don't care where you are or what you are doing.
    5. Oh look, you're eating/drinking in an Irish bar every day, on 'holz', how original and cultured you are oh wise world traveller.
    6. You're about 1 more inane post away from being deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The whole live updates of someones holiday on Facebook which includes a daily check in at the hotel/resort, daily photos of the swimming pool, and/or a beer, followed by the quotes "just chilling by the pool"

1. I don't care where you are or what you are doing.
    2. Your hotel/resort actually looks quite shítty
    3. You must really be 'chilling out' if you can't leave your phone down for 5 minutes, and feel the need to constantly update the world on how relaxed you are.
    4. I don't care where you are or what you are doing.
    5. Oh look, you're eating/drinking in an Irish bar every day, on 'holz', how original and cultured you are oh wise world traveller.
    6. You're about 1 more inane post away from being deleted.

There are some people who never post on FB and then they go on their summer holidays to some resort somewhere and you get hourly updates for 2 weeks.
    Who gives a fck?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had 4 pints on Sunday. Thumping headache the next morning. Nurofen didn't work, nor did paracetemol. Headache still here today. Gonna have to buy Nurofen Plus even though they're a fiver more than Nurofen but normal Nurofen don't work. Why are they selling them anyway??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

fussyonion wrote: »
    Had 4 pints on Sunday. Thumping headache the next morning. Nurofen didn't work, nor did paracetemol. Headache still here today. Gonna have to buy Nurofen Plus even though they're a fiver more than Nurofen but normal Nurofen don't work. Why are they selling them anyway??

Don't think they sell nurofen plus anymore without prescription..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Soluble solpadine is your friend then.....though pharmacists tend to treat you like a coke fiend when you try to buy them

efb wrote: »
    Use of the term Marbs?

Yes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The amount of times I have answered a question on the interview thread, then deleted it because I can't think of a question to ask:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Eating a lovely clementine and then being distracted / interrupted if you've some segments already peeled left as they tend to go all hard very quickly in the air and it just ruins the soft, juicy experience :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

73Cat wrote: »
    The amount of times I have answered a question on the interview thread, then deleted it because I can't think of a question to ask:(

Mind-No-Mind, Grasshopper. The way is Void. The empty head is the beginning of Wisdom! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

73Cat wrote: »

Just join the "Write the first word that comes to mind when you read the word above" thread, it's much easier!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

The Irish Times magazine on a Saturday. Once upon a time it was interesting read with decent features.

Now it's infomercials for nice hotels and luxury resorts, rivetting cover stories on where to get a haircut in Dublin and Ronan Keating's latest girlfriend. And syrupy Hello style wedding features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

One of my friends is having her first baby. Has she always been this boring or have I just not noticed?! It's baby baby baby 24/7. I would just like one conversation with her when she is not talking about the baby, how huge she is or rubbing her bump and making "ow" faces.

I'm worn out!

Missing my lunch to wait for a pre arranged call that never came. So I called yerman who was supposed to call me...and he was in a nice restaurant...having lunch.

FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

One of my friends is having her first baby. Has she always been this boring or have I just not noticed?! It's baby baby baby 24/7. I would just like one conversation with her when she is not talking about the baby, how huge she is or rubbing her bump and making "ow" faces.

I'm worn out!

If you think it's bad now, wait until she actually has it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

When you buy some food that's divided into sealed sections (savoury muffins from Aldi for example, two on each side) and you carefully tear along the middle, but both sides end up tearing! Now you've got four open muffins when you only wanted two....grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

scdublin wrote: »
    When you buy some food that's divided into sealed sections (savoury muffins from Aldi for example, two on each side) and you carefully tear along the middle, but both sides end up tearing! Now you've got four open muffins when you only wanted two....grrr

I can help you by eating two of them if you like? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I am sick of being such a Nervous Nelly! I get heart-poundingly, breathlessly, dizzyingly nervous over the tiniest things. I had to make an important phone call and hand in a form today - I nearly puked! Strangely enough I cope really well if there is a major crisis or high stress situation, it's just tiny things that make me a Panicking Pamela. TA'd by my weirdness!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The motherf*cking motherf*ck*r that tried to deliver a leaflet in my door again today.
    This time it was a 'handwritten' letter from an estate agent telling me of the millions and bazillions of people that want to buy my house.
    I opened the door and handed it back to him, wihout even looking for an explanation he said 'My Mistake'.
    The motherf*cker knew exactly what he had done. Motherf*cker.

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I am sick of being such a Nervous Nelly! I get heart-poundingly, breathlessly, dizzyingly nervous over the tiniest things. I had to make an important phone call and hand in a form today - I nearly puked! Strangely enough I cope really well if there is a major crisis or high stress situation, it's just tiny things that make me a Panicking Pamela. TA'd by my weirdness!

Ever read the Mr Men book about Mr Jelly? He was a wee bit nervous too....

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Spent all of last week working on a group project. Paid a babysitter for three evenings and worked straight through so I'd get finished. Then I couldn't resist uploading it all, so yesterday the others in the group passed off a lot of their work onto me because they hadn't finished yet and knew I had. The deadline is tomorrow so I ended up having to have my children minded again today so we'll be finished in time. I knew I shouldn't have sent my stuff on so early - I could have pretended that I'm still working on it and taken the children out for the day. I just couldn't resist pressing that send button on Friday evening! I'm fuming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

JanaMay wrote: »
    Spent all of last week working on a group project. Paid a babysitter for three evenings and worked straight through so I'd get finished. Then I couldn't resist uploading it all, so yesterday the others in the group passed off a lot of their work onto me because they hadn't finished yet and knew I had. The deadline is tomorrow so I ended up having to have my children minded again today so we'll be finished in time. I knew I shouldn't have sent my stuff on so early - I could have pretended that I'm still working on it and taken the children out for the day. I just couldn't resist pressing that send button on Friday evening! I'm fuming!

You should have told them to jog on the cheeky bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Radio5 wrote: »
    The Irish Times magazine on a Saturday. Once upon a time it was interesting read with decent features.

Now it's infomercials for nice hotels and luxury resorts, rivetting cover stories on where to get a haircut in Dublin and Ronan Keating's latest girlfriend. And syrupy Hello style wedding features.

The Sunday Business Post 'Agenda' magazine is a much better read, and similar to what the IT Magazine was like back in it's heyday. I agree it's turning into mush now. It's only a matter of time before Rosanna / Wes are on it!

TA - went to staple a document and didn't realise there was only one staple left in the stapler... that decided it must get caught coming out and mess the whole damn thing up...
    bah!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Rosie Rant wrote: »

You need to be a Mellow Maeve. Try to wake up and be a Happy Helen.

You need to be a Mellow Maeve. Try to wake up and be a Happy Helen.

And failing that, just kill the next person who tells you to be a "Mellow Maeve" or a "Happy Helen", or an "Amiable Abigail", or a "Contented Constance" or a "Delighted Deborah" or any such thing. Feel free to flay them alive with a cheesegrater. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

jimgoose wrote: »
    And failing that, just kill the next person who tells you to be a "Mellow Maeve" or a "Happy Helen", or an "Amiable Abigail", or a "Contented Constance" or a "Delighted Deborah" or any such thing. Feel free to flay them alive with a cheesegrater. :D

You need to be more of an Irony Detector Declan.

You need to be more of an Irony Detector Declan.

That would be "Ivan" surely? Declan is more of a "Dickhead"! :D

When you are just about to add a massively funny and insightful post to a dumb thread and just as you his the 'post' button a mod has the thread closed denying you your moment of public self indulgence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Paranoiacs and their bullshít persecution complexes.

This is a normal part of your job. You are not being singled out to have to do it any more than anybody else. It's not actually that onerous a task (despite the big fcuken deal you make out of having to do it). The way the business is changing, it's about all that will be left to do soon enough so you better get used to it if you want to stay here. I don't give a shíte what happened the last time and no, I don't want to hear why you think somebody else should be doing it - I'm the fcuken bossman today and I want you to do it, now get out and fcuken do it!

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

anna080 wrote: »
    You should have told them to jog on the cheeky bastards.

I know. But if it's not finished by tomorrow, my head's on the line too. I won't make the same mistake next time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

That little girl on Croagh Patrick that had to be rescued due to the bad weather. Her parents should be jailed for bringing her up that mountain with no coat and for ignoring weather warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

When people dig themselves a hole, but won't shut up and thus dig themselves into an even bigger hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Throwing out clothes. They're old, have holes and are discoloured but I'm finding it hard to let go.

I also need to stop buying new clothes :O it's shocking how many new purchases I've made recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Ads for toothpaste. Why don't they use toothpaste in ads for toothpaste? Also, why isn't it teethpaste instead of toothpaste?

And they are filled with people who have perfect teeth and who have absolutely no need to go to a dentist.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Hate it when I happen to be a passenger in a car and the driver picks up the phone to answer a call or read and reply to a text whilst driving. I want to say "please don't do that" but feel it wouldn't be too well greeted.

anna080 wrote: »
    Don't think they sell nurofen plus anymore without prescription..

I got them today but my God, I felt like a druggie asking for them. Here goes the conversation:

Me: "Can I have a pack of Nurofen Plus?"
    Chemist: "Who's it for?"
    Me: "Me."
    Chemist: "What's it for?"
    Me: "Migraine. I've had it since Sunday."
    Chemist: "What have you tried?"
    Me: "Nurofen (normal ones) and paracetemol. The Plus always works for me"
    Chemist: "Have you tried these? (points to other tablets)"
    Me: "No, I want the Nurofen Plus."
    Chemist: "I'll ask the pharmacist."

She comes back and reluctantly hands them over.

What answer could I have given to be just given the damn things?
    Why wasn't my answer good enough?
    And why are they selling them if no answer is good enough for them to sell them to you?

On the plus side, my migraine is gone.

I got them today but my God, I felt like a druggie asking for them. Here goes the conversation:

And why are they selling them if no answer is good enough for them to sell them to you?

12-gauge. "I didn't want ta fill out de forrums!!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

This one person, everything he says makes me want to scream at him. No matter what anyone says he goes against it and says its stupid. I'm not going to be able to hold it in for much longer and I'll cause an argument.

woman trouble, the thing to say

woman trouble, the thing to say

Then she'd have probably given me Feminax or something.

I felt that, no matter what was wrong with me, she was always going to get me to try something else.

I mean, I do understand why they question you because codeine is addictive, but I gave a legit reason (of course someone addicted to codeine *can* lie, too), but I don't know how I can prove what I'm saying is the truth, so in that respect, she should have just given me the bloody things, without looking at me suspiciously.

I had already told her I had tried other medication before the Nurofen Plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

even if it's not something addictive they still give me the 20 questions, those bastarding chemists. Every single time I want the bulk box of dioralyte they try to sell me the little box with 6 sachets in it for like 5 euro and then ask why I want the big box when the little box 'should do me fine' yeah I bet they would do me fine if I only wanted 6 of them

Then she'd have probably given me Feminax or something.

I felt that, no matter what was wrong with me, she was always going to get me to try something else.

I mean, I do understand why they question you because codeine is addictive, but I gave a legit reason (of course someone addicted to codeine *can* lie, too), but I don't know how I can prove what I'm saying is the truth, so in that respect, she should have just given me the bloody things, without looking at me suspiciously.

I had already told her I had tried other medication before the Nurofen Plus.

When I was in the chemist they guy told the Pharmacist they were for "the wife, you know... " Does Codeine help with vaginal cramps???

When I was in the chemist they guy told the Pharmacist they were for "the wife, you know... " Does Codeine help with vaginal cramps???

Er, I've no idea. I've never had a cramp in my vagina.
    But period pains are usually very bad belly cramps.
    They can be debilitating and ibuprofen does well in reducing the inflammation causing the pain.

Having said that, Mefenamic acid-"Ponstan"-are even better for period pains and it's what a lot of women get. Only available from the doctor.
    I wouldn't use Ponstan for migraines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

even if it's not something addictive they still give me the 20 questions, those bastarding chemists. Every single time I want the bulk box of dioralyte they try to sell me the little box with 6 sachets in it for like 5 euro and then ask why I want the big box when the little box 'should do me fine' yeah I bet they would do me fine if I only wanted 6 of them

Before flu season starts, I like to stock up on supplies. Have you ever tried to buy lemsip, sudafed and some other stuff like that at the same time? Endless questions and reminders to not take them at the same time. Will probably buy things like that online next time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement