Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Having to get flights out of Dublin at 6:40am, just so I wouldn't have to go tonight!!

I swore I'd never get those stupid 6-7am flights anymore!! but at the same time 1 night in a hotel away is better than 2 nights away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When people dont put the lids back on things eg.Pringles,Nutella etc etc

When people don't screw the cap on tightly on fizzy drinks bottles and they go flat in an hour :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I got a new laptop today!
    I am so computer illiterate that I can't really use this new laptop.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Menas wrote: »

Sums it up really -

'This has to be, hands down, one of the worst natural birthing ideas anyone has ever had,' science journalist Christie Wilcox wrote in Discover in 2013.

TA: Darwin award nominees.

Incidentally, that reminds me: "Darwin" was the name of the dolphin in SeaQuest DSV... no, I'm not sure how that's relevant either :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Shop assistants who drop your change into your hand from about six inches above it. If human contact freaks you out so much, don't work in a job that might occasionally involve incidental human contact.

xLisaBx wrote: »
    I got a new laptop today!
    I am so computer illiterate that I can't really use this new laptop.. :(

Well if you're posting on here you're doing ok so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Shop assistants who drop your change into your hand from about six inches above it. If human contact freaks you out so much, don't work in a job that might occasionally involve incidental human contact.

There's an aul wan' who works at the checkouts in our local Dunnes and she's notorious for it. No wonder she always has the fewest customers queing at her checkout, seriously, no matter how busy the place is customers will join a longer line to queue rather than go to that ignorant old bitch.:mad:

kfallon wrote: »
    Well if you're posting on here you're doing ok so far :)

I figured out the internet, yay :D
    Now it's to decide whether to keep it at windows 8 or upgrade to 10:confused:

I figured out the internet, yay :D
    Now it's to decide whether to keep it at windows 8 or upgrade to 10:confused:

I dont have the balls to upgrade, something will go wrong, I know it!

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    I dont have the balls to upgrade, something will go wrong, I know it!

And the way you can't bring it back to 8 if you don't like 10, it kinda seems like fixing something that isn't really broken, but I heard 10 is more user friendly :confused:
    first world problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oooops, from a distance, I saw a neighbour putting a plastic bag of rubbish BESIDE the litter bin on the next road. I was out walking.

Miserable old so and so. The one with the big car and the double height extension. Wouldn't pay for the bin.

Feckin raging to see that kind of thing. Then the dogs get the bags, and next thing it's all over the road, and the kids get blamed for being feckers.

And before anyone says anything, I am not going to report her. But if I see her doing it again, I will say something. I am fuming.

So not TA'd but VERY ANNOYED.

And breathe..... there could be worse things happening I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

73Cat wrote: »
    Every last one of the ice cube bags in the box did not self seal. Fill it, turn it upside down, water pours back out. Then I have to balance them semi upright in the freezer so they don't spill. I'm so sick of stuff not doing what it's supposed to, like the ham packets that don't reseal, and the tabs on bags of pasta etc sticking for a couple of seconds then popping off again :(

+1
    what was wrong with the ice cube bags you tied a knot in, why can you only buy these so called self seal ones now?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Was in a restaurant earlier with my other half and the place was fairly quiet, only about four tables filled. This girl walked in and handed in her cv, there were two male staff present and one took her cv and said he'd have a look through it and get back to her. She walked off looking chuffed with herself. The two of them then begin to rip the absolute sh1t out of the poor girls cv very loudly. She had attached a photo and one even said "cover up her picture there will ya". I was disgusted they actually put me off my food.

They went through all her experience one by one and laughed at it, all the while customers could hear. We were going up to pay and my boyfriend said to one of the guys "do ye accept tips", the waiter said "sure ya", my bf then says "okay here's a tip, next time try to not rip the absolute piss out of some poor girls cv in front of your paying customers". They guy was absolutely mortified and just said "okay.." Can safely say I won't be going back there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People boarding planes, and their sitting in row 17 (I can clearly see their boarding card) yet they still stop at every second row to check what the row number is, you know, just in case the rows are numbered 2,3,4,5,15,22!! They also have to discover all over again at each and every row where the row number is located, because airlines like to mess with you and put the row number in a different location at every row.
    They'll also ceck their boarding card 7/9 times on the way to row 17 because, you know, boarding cards have a habit of changing numbers, just to fcuk with you!!!

anna080 wrote: »
    Was in a restaurant earlier with my other half and the place was fairly quiet, only about four tables filled. This girl walked in and handed in her cv, there were two male staff present and one took her cv and said he'd have a look through it and get back to her. She walked off looking chuffed with herself. The two of them then begin to rip the absolute sh1t out of the poor girls cv very loudly. She had attached a photo and one even said "cover up her picture there will ya". I was disgusted they actually put me off my food.

They went through all her experience one by one and laughed at it, all the while customers could hear. We were going up to pay and my boyfriend said to one of the guys "do ye accept tips", the waiter said "sure ya", my bf then says "okay here's a tip, next time try to not rip the absolute piss out of some poor girls cv in front of your paying customers". They guy was absolutely mortified and just said "okay.." Can safely say I won't be going back there again.

You should have asked for management and lodged a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

anna080 wrote: »
    The two of them then begin to rip the absolute sh1t out of the poor girls cv very loudly. She had attached a photo and one even said "cover up her picture there will ya".

Is putting your picture on your CV the done thing now?

They sound like an absolute pair of dopes btw fair play for putting them in their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

And the way you can't bring it back to 8 if you don't like 10, it kinda seems like fixing something that isn't really broken, but I heard 10 is more user friendly :confused:
    first world problems!

Yes you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm just after banging the back of my heel off the pipe beside the radiator.
    Bring doctors. Bring morphine. Pain is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Bloody rural broadband is worse than normal this morning. To add insult, there is a thread with someone giving out that they can only get 100 MB even though they signed up for 240MB. What the hell are you going to do with 240MB?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

it annoys me when people arguing about the rights and wrongs of foreigners use the argument "what about the irish people abroad" doubly annoying if they use examples from famine time.
    I don't see the reasoning in that argument but it's repeated so often it now annoys me

TAed that my son has recently started to question every decision I make. I am (was) all on for encouraging independent thinking but he is only 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

People boarding planes, and their sitting in row 17 (I can clearly see their boarding card) yet they still stop at every second row to check what the row number is, you know, just in case the rows are numbered 2,3,4,5,15,22!! They also have to discover all over again at each and every row where the row number is located, because airlines like to mess with you and put the row number in a different location at every row.
    They'll also ceck their boarding card 7/9 times on the way to row 17 because, you know, boarding cards have a habit of changing numbers, just to fcuk with you!!!

This made me laugh. It is so true. Some people seem to leave any bit of sense, not to mention consideration for others, at home, when they are going on a flight.
    Pleas from the staff for people to get into their seats, and not block the way of others trying to board go unnoticed / unheard. 'What, sure haven't I to remove my jacket, fold it lovingly, place it in the overhead bin, chat to the person beside me, take the jacket back down...' All while they stand, blocking the way, apparently completely unaware that other people need to get to their seats too.

KatW4 wrote: »
    Speaking as the teacher who had to welcome the kids back to school today, parents are the worst!!! I was in first class today, so the children have been coming to school for a while now. One parent had to follow us in to the classroom, take off her son's coat and bag and hang it up, walk him to his seat and then make a big deal of hugging and kissing him! Go away!!!!! It's the parents who upset the kids on the first day.

I'll say it for the rest of my teaching life, parents are the worst part of the job. I vow never to annoy my children's teachers with the nonsense that I am forced to listen to.

On the plus side, it was a lovely day full of colouring and reading stories. It's not all bad. :D

Just back from dropping my young fella off on his first day.
    Parents had to drop off at the classroom door. No parents allowed in side the class room. It's a good system...no parental messing. Also no tears from kids or parents today.
    I had to hold mine in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On the subject of boarding planes, when the announcement "would those in seats 1 to 12" is made, but the numpties in seats 35 join the queue.

The plane's not leaving without you, ya tube.

Idiots starting clothing collections for Calais, wtf is that about, they aren't refugees they are ECONOMIC MIGRANTS:mad: If they want to make a difference they could start helping the homeless in this country or people who genuinely need help. Honestly, some people need a foot lodged firmly up their holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

galljga1 wrote: »
    Bloody rural broadband is worse than normal this morning. To add insult, there is a thread with someone giving out that they can only get 100 MB even though they signed up for 240MB. What the hell are you going to do with 240MB?

I know you're pain and anybody moaning about 100 Mbps needs a good kick in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Idiots starting clothing collections for Calais, wtf is that about, they aren't refugees they are ECONOMIC MIGRANTS:mad: If they want to make a difference they could start helping the homeless in this country or people who genuinely need help. Honestly, some people need a foot lodged firmly up their holes.

I could be wrong, but I would have assumed an economic migrant was like, for example, an Irish plumber who cannot get work, applies through the correct channels for work in USA, Australia etc. as far as I know, the people in Calais are a diverse mix who have travelled great distances and risked all sorts, to get to the UK. Now the bit of the UK I have seen, was not all that great, so I can only assume most of these people have left some real ****holes if they want to get there. From what I have seen, they are broke, homeless, tired and hungry. If sending an old pair of my trousers and and a small financial donation is going to brighten their day, what harm.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I would have assumed an economic migrant was like, for example, an Irish plumber who cannot get work, applies through the correct channels for work in USA, Australia etc. as far as I know, the people in Calais are a diverse mix who have travelled great distances and risked all sorts, to get to the UK. Now the bit of the UK I have seen, was not all that great, so I can only assume most of these people have left some real ****holes if they want to get there. From what I have seen, they are broke, homeless, tired and hungry. If sending an old pair of my trousers and and a small financial donation is going to brighten their day, what harm.

There's a massive difference between an Irish person emigrating and doing things legally and hundreds of thousands of people trying to force their way into Europe. The Irish plumber isn't costing freight companies a fortune while lorries sit in massive tail backs outside Calais. The Irish plumber isn't threatening truck drivers or trying to hide in the back of vehicles to illegally enter Europe. Ireland has always been very good at taking care of foreigners and turning a blind eye to our own poor.

What you do with your trousers and money is your choice, but before sending clothes and money abroad perhaps we should eradicate poverty and need in this country. There are poor and desperate Irish people who could do with some new clothes and a few quid to help them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Actually approximately 62% of those coming to Europe are from Syria, Afghanistan and Eritrea (UN figures). A whopping 38% alone are from Syria which has been bombed to bits since March 2011. They are refugees, not migrants, and under the 1951 Refugee Convention we are legally obliged to help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

TA for today: slow walkers at the top of an escalator. Move, for fecks sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

galljga1 wrote: »

Let me guess you are on 3 mobile broadband. I used to have o2 mobile broadband when I lived at home with parents. My TA is that it has gone to crap since o2 merged with 3. This means I have poverty spec internet when I go home to visit them.

I've got the parents to switch to Vodafone now. My TA now is that i need to set it up for them. This includes wireless printers, laptops, and anything else on the home wifi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

There's a massive difference between an Irish person emigrating and doing things legally and hundreds of thousands of people trying to force their way into Europe. The Irish plumber isn't costing freight companies a fortune while lorries sit in massive tail backs outside Calais. The Irish plumber isn't threatening truck drivers or trying to hide in the back of vehicles to illegally enter Europe. Ireland has always been very good at taking care of foreigners and turning a blind eye to our own poor.

What you do with your trousers and money is your choice, but before sending clothes and money abroad perhaps we should eradicate poverty and need in this country. There are poor and desperate Irish people who could do with some new clothes and a few quid to help them out.

My mentioning the "Irish plumber" was to state what Inthink is the difference between a refugee and economic migrants. And of course the situation in Calais is costing a lot of money for truckers etc, and the situation needs a major overhaul, I agree. But these are very desperate people.

For the record, I don't think anyone should just be allowed wander in to the Europe willy nilly, but something has to change. How bad must the situation be in some of these countries to make you want to pay traffickers to get you to Calais? And live in the conditions there, and to risk your life by sneaking on to truck for the UK?

And as for the poor and desperate Irish people, is it not possible to try help both?

Actually approximately 62% of those coming to Europe are from Syria, Afghanistan and Eritrea (UN figures). A whopping 38% alone are from Syria which has been bombed to bits since March 2011. They are refugees, not migrants, and under the 1951 Refugee Convention we are legally obliged to help them.

Funny, the ones at Calais don't look Syrian and the numbers of 'refugees' was never envisioned in 1951. I'm in favour of helping refugees, but migrants can toddle off back to wherever they came from.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Guys, I'm putting on my MOD hat here. This is not the place for discussing immigration and refugees. There is the humanities forum available to discuss the topic there in a more appropriate setting.

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    My mentioning the "Irish plumber" was to state what Inthink is the difference between a refugee and economic migrants. And of course the situation in Calais is costing a lot of money for truckers etc, and the situation needs a major overhaul, I agree. But these are very desperate people.

For the record, I don't think anyone should just be allowed wander in to the Europe willy nilly, but something has to change. How bad must the situation be in some of these countries to make you want to pay traffickers to get you to Calais? And live in the conditions there, and to risk your life by sneaking on to truck for the UK?

And as for the poor and desperate Irish people, is it not possible to try help both?

We're derailing the thread now:D I agree that something will have to change and hopefully suggestions of changing the status of countries to reflect whether or not people's lives are genuinely at risk or whether they just want a better standard of living will put an end to economic migrancy. I wish I could put my hands on the guts of the ten grand in cash that these migrants can find to pay traffickers. They're not short of a few quid, just ask the Italians or the Greeks. We could argue all day but we'll never agree on anything other than helping Syrian refugees.:)

Funny, the ones at Calais don't look Syrian and the numbers of 'refugees' was never envisioned in 1951.

The 1951 refugee convention was written in the aftermath of World war 2 which was the largest refugee crisis ever known!

But the problem does need solving. The trafficers in libya just putting people on anything that floats and pointing it north is killing people in their hundreds.
    Greece and Italy take an unfair burden as does Germany (but there are theories that this is for more selfish reasons).
    Anyway...off topic!

Menas wrote: »
    The 1951 refugee convention was written in the aftermath of World war 2 which was the largest refugee crisis ever known!

But the problem does need solving. The trafficers in libya just putting people on anything that floats and pointing it north is killing people in their hundreds.
    Greece and Italy take an unfair burden as does Germany (but there are theories that this is for more selfish reasons).
    Anyway...off topic!

They still shipped the Jews off to the middle east though, since England and Germany didn't want to deal with them, so it wasn't worth the paper it was written on to the Jewish survivors of the death camps.

Anyway, change of gripe:D I'm waiting for the guy to show up and install fibre broadband. I hate these 2 hour windows of waiting, especially when he said he might be delayed.

My lunch didn't fill me.
    I had chicken, lettuce, tomato, red onion, peppers, jalapenos & salsa.
    Still peckish.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    My lunch didn't fill me.
    Still peckish.

Mine did the opposite, now I feel queasy and sleepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

My lunch didn't fill me.
    Still peckish.

That's the chicken affecting you. Just try to control the urge to scratch the ground looking for seeds.

seagull wrote: »
    That's the chicken affecting you. Just try to control the urge to scratch the ground looking for seeds.

Good advice from a seagull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

MrVestek wrote:
    Yes you can.

Thanks obama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Menas wrote:
    Just back from dropping my young fella off on his first day. Parents had to drop off at the classroom door. No parents allowed in side the class room. It's a good system...no parental messing. Also no tears from kids or parents today. I had to hold mine in!

If I had my own class, this is the way I'd have it. I did in England with my classes there anyway.

Hope you were ok!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

People wearing those stupid looking calf socks when running/cycling, especially cycling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God I hate when someone leaves the dregs in the cereal bowl without washing it STRAIGHT AWAY or at least watering it lol.

Cement Roadstone is the result.

There must be some reason that cereal turns to cement in these circs, but I probably do not want to know the answer!

Nail varnishes going gloopy.
    And no, a drop of nail varnish remover mixed in didn't work.

Bits of black in the corners of my eyes when I'm wearing liquid eyeliner and mascara.
    Other girls are going around with perfect eyes but I ALWAYS get black bits in the corners of my eyes

Oh, and how on God's green Earth can some girls apply eyeliner to their waterline?
    If I apply pencil, it just washes away because the inner rim of my bottom waterline is wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just after hearing one of those Daft Dave ad's on the radio.

The rage is building.

Nail varnishes going gloopy.
    And no, a drop of nail varnish remover mixed in didn't work.

Bits of black in the corners of my eyes when I'm wearing liquid eyeliner and mascara.
    Other girls are going around with perfect eyes but I ALWAYS get black bits in the corners of my eyes

Oh, and how on God's green Earth can some girls apply eyeliner to their waterline?
    If I apply pencil, it just washes away because the inner rim of my bottom waterline is wet.

This is why I really want to get semi permanent winged liner :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement