Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Raymond Darcy

Sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Movie posters/DVD covers were the names of the actors aren't aligned above the right person.

It actually drive me nuts, This is how it should be done:
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAgQjRxqFQoTCMfXtqiF88cCFQK6FAodQuMMbw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSkuxYKBhyPQq4e_cbYRDfZRjWkUx2GIKlUpUkHiuVeLg2GhN0D&psig=AFQjCNFLQqEM_WZ5olTghO8fZ739yjRymg&ust=1442200406041113

I cant think of any wrong ones but I've seen plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Movie posters/DVD covers were the names of the actors aren't aligned above the right person.

It actually drive me nuts, This is how it should be done:
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAgQjRxqFQoTCMfXtqiF88cCFQK6FAodQuMMbw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSkuxYKBhyPQq4e_cbYRDfZRjWkUx2GIKlUpUkHiuVeLg2GhN0D&psig=AFQjCNFLQqEM_WZ5olTghO8fZ739yjRymg&ust=1442200406041113

I cant think of any wrong ones but I've seen plenty.

God that bugs me as well.

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/153/pirates2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭looksee

selous wrote: »
    He is still St James, so an apostrophe after the s' does, not a second s.
    St James'

Well yes, that is correct, but some people find it easier when talking to say James's - and since it means 'James, his gate' they are not wrong either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Mice and rats are cute! XD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Mice and rats are cute! XD

Post reported!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Damned bottle of cooking oil that falls down from the cupboard and spills all over laminate flooring, jesus it's like death trap central. I thought I'd cleaned it all up last night before going to bed, walking across the floor this morning in my shoes, and lost my footing when I slipped on what felt like a polished floor, managed to keep myself upright though!

Jack - 1 Greasy floor - 0 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

People who speak with their mouths full of food. Wtf is that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

The water in the shower wouldn't heat up this morning even though there was hot water in the boiler. My bf fixed it but then my shower was too hot. My skin is still red!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

When people have little or no knowledge of sayings/proverbs. You say " empty cans make the most noise" and you get a blank stare or " you can bring a horse to water..." and they can't finish it, don't understand.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket"...what eggs?

I don't say them often buts it's good when the other person can relate to what you're saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Robsweezie wrote: »
    When people have little or no knowledge of sayings/proverbs. You say " empty cans make the most noise" and you get a blank stare or " you can bring a horse to water..." and they can't finish it, don't understand.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket"...what eggs?

I don't say them often buts it's good when the other person can relate to what you're saying.

as the man says.......what man ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

People in airports piss me off:
    Queuing to enter departures- their turn and it's "Argh can't find my Boarding card"
    Queuing to go through security - their turn and it' "argh can't find my bag of liquids"
    Queuing to board plane - their turn and it's "argh can't find my passport"
    Queuing to go through border control - their turn and it's "argh can't find my passport"

I mean jesus fecking chrisht, would ye have these things ready while you are getting towards top of the Queue

And DON'T GET ME STARTED on the people who just stand on the floor escalators rather than walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

wp_rathead wrote: »

And DON'T GET ME STARTED on the people who just stand on the floor escalators rather than walk

not taking sides but have you ever walked to the far end of Dublin airport terminal 2, its no wonder people do that.

some never even make it to the end.

Sunday evenings. There are a few hours of the weekend left...but thoughts of work tomorrow are taking over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

There's going to be a reoccurring critical writing theme to my posts here for the foreseeable future.
    On very strong painkillers for my sinus headache so can't have a cheeky weekend tipple either.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Serjeant Buzfuz

People in Supermarket queues who start fumbling for change when it's time to pay and count out what feels like 250 euros in loose coppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Women that put lipstick around their mouth to make their lips look bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

slow queues!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

When posters make one liner statements like " You've got the wrong idea" " you're talking nonsense" "you're missing the point" without explaining WHY.

RED.RAG.BULL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

There's rain dripping outside my bedroom window. There's no way I can sleep with it continuously drip drip dripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

My sons school sent out a book list over the summer. One of the books we had to get was "Planet Maths 1". So we got it, and we also wrote our sons name inside the cover using marker pen as per the school instructions.

We and about 3/4 of the rest of the class got the wrong book. We got the activity book, not the study book and both have virtually identical covers.

The schools attitude is "Sorry, we should have specified it better, but tough you still need the right book".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

first day of college starts at 11

i'd murder a coffee but there's not enough time to drink it before class to guarantee the lack of a panic attack at all the humanity around me

i miss the days when I could just take euphorics and not have to worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

DareGod wrote: »
    It is very difficult to wind me up. I only get wound up when I feel like someone who is supposed to care about me is purposely trying to get a rise out of me. This situation almost never happens to me but when it does, it really pisses me off:

When someone starts an argument with you, and you calmly succeed in pointing out to them clearly and concisely why what they're saying is completely incorrect, and so they've run out of things to come at you with, so then they say something like "You're being argumentative / over-defensive" to try and make you look bad, because they've been proven 100% wrong and have nothing else to say.

I really hate that passive aggressive sh*t, especially when it's a friend who's doing it.

e.g. this conversation that happened last week with a friend

Them: "I think [insert claim about me and how I live my life here]"
    Me: *gives clear evidence as to why this is incorrect*
    Them: "Okay well I think [insert another claim about me and how I live my life here]"
    Me: *gives clear evidence as to why this is incorrect*
    Them: "Well I think no matter what I say you're going to be over-defensive."
    Me: *screams inside, because now there's absolutely nothing I can say without them "winning" that argument*

So they've knowingly wound me up, I've defended myself, and they've tried to make me look aggressive for defending myself. Am I not meant to? Am I meant to just say "Yeah, you're right" even when what they're saying is completely factually incorrect? Or am I meant to just ignore what they're saying? If I ignored them, they'd say "Why are you ignoring me?"

Argh. I really hate that.

Try being Scottish for a day, where everytime I speak more than 5 words in a sentence, people think I'm going mental and tell me to "calm down".

Friend 1 - "Dave, where abouts is Daybreak around here?"

Me - "I don't know I only moved here yesterday"

Friend 1 - "Jesus, relax bah I was only askin'"

Friend 2 - "What's up with Dave?"

Friend 1 - "I only asked him where the shop was and he got t'ick"

That wasn't the best of examples, but essentially, my tone of voice allegedly sounds as if I'm in a fit of rage when, in all reality, I'm completely calm in myself..

Another TA that can be combined with the one above is when I am having a conversation with someone and they go "shhh" because apparently I'm talking too loud.......... It's 3 oclock in the f**ing day and we're outside in the middle of town. And, for the record I'm not shouting, I'm talking. It kills the tempo of the conversation for me. I just happen to have one of those voices that are of a higher decibel to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

grundie wrote: »
    My sons school sent out a book list over the summer. One of the books we had to get was "Planet Maths 1". So we got it, and we also wrote our sons name inside the cover using marker pen as per the school instructions.

We and about 3/4 of the rest of the class got the wrong book. We got the activity book, not the study book and both have virtually identical covers.

The schools attitude is "Sorry, we should have specified it better, but tough you still need the right book".

I'd be trivially annoyed there was even a thing such as the activity book, that's what copybooks are for!

My TA (or two in fact) are to do with movies:

1. That fake scream that's inserted to movies as an in-joke/nod to the first movie that's ever used it. It's so jarring when you hear it and think "FFS, another movie that has it".

2. The fake noise they add in when people are eating in scenes, who drags their cutlery against their teeth when putting food into their mouth or taking the cutlery back out again?

Damn you Foley people!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

as the man says.......what man ?

"Thats what they say.." Drives me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

when people dont bring their rubbish to the bin in fast food restaurants and just leave it there as 'thats what theyre paid for'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

when people dont bring their rubbish to the bin in fast food restaurants and just leave it there as 'thats what theyre paid for'

I hate that!! I will never leave my mess behind. I'd feel horrible afterwards. Yeah, they get paid to do it but that doesn't mean one has to be a díck about it.

The only time I'll be okay with them putting my rubbish in the bin is if I'm already on the way there and they kindly take the tray from me and thank me for bringing it up. Manners cost absolutely f**k all - you've nothing to lose when you do it, so why is it such a tedious problem for some people?

Ugh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That muppet who voices the Bridgestone Tires ad on the radio. "Your tires are the only part of your cars safety system that touches the road." Lose the fake american accent ya fúcktard. You're Irish, we know you're Irish now cop on ya sap. Nothing worse than some turnip-faced muck savage putting on a fake american accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

and they're feckin TYRES, TA'ed at American spellings.....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

It's Sunday night, bedtime and you've just realised that your duvet and bed sheet are in the tumble dryer and your bed's not made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

and they're feckin TYRES, TA'ed at American spellings.....

American spelling is a pain, but the brand name is Bridgestone Tire so I had to go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Stop the world, I want to get off. When everyone wants something from you and you just want to hide.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

razorblunt wrote: »
    1. That fake scream that's inserted to movies as an in-joke/nod to the first movie that's ever used it. It's so jarring when you hear it and think "FFS, another movie that has it".

When you are reading a post on boards and the song you are listening to references the same thing -> Wilhelm Scream. 3.10 into this song:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Saying 'alympics' for Olympics and 'amediately'
    for immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I had an awful nightmare last night where a good friend was killed in a car accident. I can't get it out of my head. I hate remembering my dreams/nightmares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I wrote last week that I wasn't sure if I was getting a cold or not; that I was in limbo between being well and being ill.
    Well I have a cold now.

I can't taste anything, my nose is blocked, my nose is running...I just feel bleurgh.
    All I want to eat is salt and vinegar crisps but what I am going to have is salmon and vegetables.
    Someone mind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

fussyonion wrote: »
    I wrote last week that I wasn't sure if I was getting a cold or not; that I was in limbo between being well and being ill.
    Well I have a cold now.

I can't taste anything, my nose is blocked, my nose is running...I just feel bleurgh.
    All I want to eat is salt and vinegar crisps but what I am going to have is salmon and vegetables.
    Someone mind me.

Fair play to you for going for the healthier option, its so easy to give in when you feel sick. Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Zanablue wrote: »
    Fair play to you for going for the healthier option, its so easy to give in when you feel sick. Hope you feel better soon.

Ah sure I would have given in months ago, without a second thought, but I'm half a pound shy off losing 2 stone since July so I'm trying to be good.
    Plus, I know salmon and veg is better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

KatW4 wrote: »
    I had an awful nightmare last night where a good friend was killed in a car accident. I can't get it out of my head. I hate remembering my dreams/nightmares.

I had an awful one about my youngest being taken last week. It was so realistic, it stuck with me for days and really shook me :(

My TA....
    Sleibhins :mad:
    I hate to lose my cool with anyone, especially when the circumstances will be worse for others if I do pipe up.
    But by jesus, its killing me to have to keep my trap shut :D:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Saying 'alympics' for Olympics and 'amediately'
    for immediately!

pronouncing ONLY with a D in it, ONDLY,
    and controversy as controversy...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Previous love conquests showing up in my dreams(/nightmares) has put me off kilter for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I always see stupid 'Disney princess' posts on my FB timeline these days.. 'this is how these Disney princesses would look if they were real people', 'this woman dressed up as all the Disney princesses and it's amazing', 'this is how the Disney princesses would look aged 40' etc etc. who cares about the ****ing Disney princesses? Why are there so many posts about them all the time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

miezekatze wrote: »
    I always see stupid 'Disney princess' posts on my FB timeline these days.. 'this is how these Disney princesses would look if they were real people', 'this woman dressed up as all the Disney princesses and it's amazing', 'this is how the Disney princesses would look aged 40' etc etc. who cares about the ****ing Disney princesses? Why are there so many posts about them all the time??
    You probably clicked on it the first time it came up and now you are getting similar ones. Click on the wee down arrow beside the ad and select "I don't want to see this".

Shyness and bad hearing are a terrible combination! I either can't speak up because I'm shy and afraid of miss-speaking or I can't follow what is being said because conversation is being drowned out by background noise. It's grand if I'm face to face with someone - I can read their lips, but if someone is speaking beside me or behind me I might not even know that they're talking!

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Shyness and bad hearing are a terrible combination! I either can't speak up because I'm shy and afraid of miss-speaking or I can't follow what is being said because conversation is being drowned out by background noise. It's grand if I'm face to face with someone - I can read their lips, but if someone is speaking beside me or behind me I might not even know that they're talking!

I am half deaf too so I agree on that one. Total conversation in pubs pass me by because all I can hear is a loud murmur. I end up with a gormless smile on my face pretending to follow what is going on!
    Thankfully I no longer have the shyness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

About to go to bed and you spill a full glass of water all over your bed sheets. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

degsie wrote: »
    People who speak with their mouths full of food. Wtf is that all about?

I always find when I'm eating in a restaurant, that the waitress always seems to ask is everything ok, when my mouth is full.

I generally have to reply with a thumbs up.

Menas wrote: »
    I am half deaf too so I agree on that one. Total conversation in pubs pass me by because all I can hear is a loud murmur. I end up with a gormless smile on my face pretending to follow what is going on!
    Thankfully I no longer have the shyness though.

Yeah! And I often get caught out because I smile and nod and I actually have no idea what I'm nodding at - then when I'm asked to explain why I'm agreeing I'm like "ehhhh... I dunno!"

I've mostly grown out of my shyness too, but so much in my life is new at the moment that I've gone back into my shell a little bit. I'm sure I'll come back out of it soon, though, as I'm meeting lots of lovely new people :) .

Rosie Rant wrote:

I'm the same, it's really frustrating!

You probably clicked on it the first time it came up and now you are getting similar ones. Click on the wee down arrow beside the ad and select "I don't want to see this".

Yeah will do that next time. I don't remember ever clicking on one of them, but who knows.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement